Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 14:27   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
Truly a brit, but lived in Aus for a while, and prefer Lager anyway.

My gut doesnt approve of even lager these days (gluten intolerance) so it was my son doing the drinking!, and he spent a year in Aus as a "Gap" year malso meeting all the rellies who live there.
Old 04-06-2006, 19:51   #17

Talbot,

I just pulled a Newcastle out of the 'fridge to warm up a bit. lol

Well, the engine ran over four hours, mostly @ cruising speed, on one start, without so much as a hiccup. So far, so good.

But it's run five or six hours before, then stalled, so I'm not declaring victory just yet. Once I have ten trouble-free hours on it, I'll be satisfied. I do have a good feeling about this, though.
Old 04-06-2006, 20:34   #18

CaptainJeff.

Maybe you should've ran it 10 hours then? What kept you from doing that?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 21:17   #19

Getting to the marina at 1PM, mostly. lol
Old 05-06-2006, 01:21   #20

Boat: Privilege 37
I always filter my fuel as it comes onboard using a "smart funnel" that has a filter in it abt the same as my primary filter, and also will not allow water to pass through. I then dose it with "fuel set" - always looks lovely and clear in the filter glass!
Old 22-10-2006, 16:58   #21

Boat: Lotus 10.6
what are ryco filters like? There is is one for sale on www.trademe.co.nz.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 18:52   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Ryco is just the stock standard across the counter "Repco" type filter. Very common, wouldn't call them high quality. But the filter should have many other manufacturers elements available.
If you want the best however, you go for Racor. I imagine Paula should be able to get them, but if she can't, I do have trade access to them so let me know.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 19:52   #23

Purring Along

Since this thread rose toward the surface again, I'll give a quick update.

I have over 100 trouble-free hours on this repair now. It definitely was the screen. I know that little Chinese tractor motor belongs in a Ditch-Witch, but it's as dependable as a Winchester carbine. A trip up the CA coast this last summer had the engine running continuously over 24 hours in one stretch, with not so much as a sputter.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Old 23-10-2006, 00:54   #24

thanks, I will ask her.
Changed my primary CAV the other day and it was very dirty. Should have taken out the tank when the motor was out but with all the hassles didn't get around to it. I have shifted it where I can now see the glass jar so will keep my eye in it.
I see you made a pump for cleaning your fuel tank. I have no inspection port on the side (only the filler opening) and was thinking a pump and filter on a wand recycling would clean up some of the gunk in the tank.
Old 23-10-2006, 00:57   #25

Went out for a sail today.
A bit wet but gentle 10knot breeze and was very good.
Old 23-10-2006, 09:19   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I always filter my fuel as it comes onboard using a "smart funnel" that has a filter in it"

Kinda like the old old gas station pumps, where the fuel pumped "up" into a glass globe before it pumped down into your car, so you could SEE what you were getting.

I just don't trust diesel fuel unless I've seen it flowing clear and clean. But, that's just because to Tooth Faery told me the runner-up for that job got disgruntled and now runs around adding dirt to fuel tanks.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 11:48   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hellosailor, don't trust the fact that the fuel has been filtered that your tank is clean. The new "stuff" they are adding to Diesel will absorb water from the air in your tank and the microbes int he fuel will require a much much finer filter than you can simply pour through. So although it is good to do what you are doing, you still want to maintain an inspection of your filters to check all is well.
Darryl, yes if you had a good size filter, you could install a small pump with a valve that returns to tank for use when you are tied up at the marina. Have it pumping around in a loop through the filter to tank.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 16:50   #28

Wheels, do you reckon a small web cam with infra red would be the best way to look inside the fuel tank?. They look cheap on trademe & would just hook up to laptop. Could attach one to a coathanger wire or similar to have a look around.
Old 23-10-2006, 16:58   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Thanks, Wheels. I don't trust the tank to stay clean, I just figure if no crud is being POURED in, there's less that will be in there. We actually pulled the tank to make sure it would be cleaned out thoroughly last winter, and had a clean basis to start with.

We're not getting ethanol (which grabs water) in the diesel here YET, at least not last time I looked at the pump. Is that what you're referring to?

Seafox, clever idea, as long as you can at least get an arm to the inspection port.<G> (We had to remove the sending unit to peek inside, in the long run it was easier to just pull the tank and make sure EVERYTHING got done.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 19:05   #30

my filler has a 50mmapprox opening at the top to the tank. About another 100mm strait pipe connects the opening to the tank. I reckon I could fit one it to do a recky.