Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2009, 20:07   #1

Boat: grampian 26
Question Isuzu Marine Diesel

After having gone through all 38 pages of the propulsion thread I think it is safe to pose this question since I found no references to Isuzu engines. Does anyone out there have any experience/opinions on these engines as regards reliability,longevity and parts availabilty?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 20:12   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I have had a number of friends who have had and some that still have these engines. They all say the same thing...They have never had an engine so reliable and run so long as the Isuzu. A few of them had the 20hp., one had a 40hp. and a friend currently in Mexico has the 60hp. The total opposite is true of the Volvo 2000 series. Hope this helps.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 23:19   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I have one in my trawler now since 1990 and its the best engine i ever had,lasts forever- never once have i had to do any work on it-just change the oil /filter
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 07:32   #4

Boat: boudignon 38ft-Ushuaia
we have a c190 isuzu marinised engine on our yacht, which is one of the most ugly marinised engines you would ever see. By this I mean, it looks like whoever did it used spare bits from their garage to build it all up. But the engine goes and goes and goes, we motored down the east coast of australia last year (delivery trip on the nose all the way) and the isuzu never skipped a beat. I have spoken to the previous owner and he has suggested that I replace it as he thinks the head bolts are all stripped and other issues also. But isuzu seems good, and my research thus far suggest that they are reasonably sized for their hp.
damo_ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 07:37   #5

I have heard nothing but good about them. Smooth running and last forever. Their truck diesels seem to last forever for sure, I would guess parts are pretty available
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 01:58   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'
I have a Isuzu truck engine in my commercial fishing boat and it is the most reliable diesel engine I have ever used. Quiet, low fuel consumption, I use one gallon of oil for the whole 6 week season of almost non stop running, and a lot of that is at idle. I think they are great boat engines. Not to mention it is 23 years old, and never had the head off.