Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 18:33   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Injector Pump Won't Bleed

Does this help?

http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/Pe...20Handbook.pdf

Pictures of Bleeding
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 18:34   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i i added an electric pump to my 4-108 with excellent results... mebbe one-a-doze may help in your situation, also?>> mine is only an assist pump but it seems to make a diffrence...... just a thought..... is in line before the lift pump.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 18:57   #18

Boat: Endeavour 43

I had the same problem on my Perkins Prima M60 and the problem was a fitting in the fuel line before the bleed valve was sucking air. I could pump up the lines and fill the filter before the injector pump but when turned the engine over, nothing came out of the injector pump at the injector lines because it was sucking air from the fuel line fitting. I changed the fitting and it fired on the first try.
Good Luck...it only took me a month to figure it out because the fitting never leaked fuel.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 19:03   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i i added an electric pump to my 4-108 with excellent results... mebbe one-a-doze may help in your situation, also?>> mine is only an assist pump but it seems to make a diffrence...... just a thought..... is in line before the lift pump.....
After all the contortions I've tried to see the bleeders while working the pump I got to say that sounds good! It's a system designed by someone with awfully long arms, though I suspect if it was in atractor instead of under the sole of a boat it might be easier!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 19:05   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
I had the same problem on my Perkins Prima M60 and the problem was a fitting in the fuel line before the bleed valve was sucking air. I could pump up the lines and fill the filter before the injector pump but when turned the engine over, nothing came out of the injector pump at the injector lines because it was sucking air from the fuel line fitting. I changed the fitting and it fired on the first try.
Good Luck...it only took me a month to figure it out because the fitting never leaked fuel.
I'll look at that. Now that I know I can safely turn the engine over I should be able to decide a little quicker whether its pumping fuel or sucking air.

Old 19-04-2011, 02:42   #21

Boat: deboated

I am lost not sure if some of the posters understand your problem or maybe its me. You said hand primer pump worked to bleed the filter but continual pumping failed to achieve the same result from the pump. I assume you closed bleeder or tightened line on filter and opened bleeder on metering pump. If this is correct then I would not crank engine over until you find out why the pump does not have fuel. Turning the engine over is done to bleed air from the pump to the injectors once the pump itself has been bled. Me thinks some piece of info in this project is not being provided to allow the puzzle to be solved.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 03:29   #22

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Check the line is not blocked by diesel bug.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 07:24   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
I am lost not sure if some of the posters understand your problem or maybe its me. You said hand primer pump worked to bleed the filter but continual pumping failed to achieve the same result from the pump. I assume you closed bleeder or tightened line on filter and opened bleeder on metering pump. If this is correct then I would not crank engine over until you find out why the pump does not have fuel. Turning the engine over is done to bleed air from the pump to the injectors once the pump itself has been bled. Me thinks some piece of info in this project is not being provided to allow the puzzle to be solved.
You understand. The lift pump gets it to the secondary filter but doesn't seem to get it to the injector pump. The suggestion has been made that I can use the engine and check the injector pump bleeder points without damaging the injector pump as long as it's not completely dry.

I'm not sure what other piece of info there is to give.

Old 19-04-2011, 19:12   #24
Eternal Member

Do you have a return line from the injection pump to the secondary filter?

And did you read the instructions I posted?
Old 20-04-2011, 00:09   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I did Chief. I have all the manuals, including the shop manual but there seems to be some variation in filters etc. The one you linked is a little older then mine but none of them match perfectly. There's no mention of slackening the inlet union nut on mine. There are a couple of returns into the filter and one of them I'm guessing is from the injector pump.

Old 20-04-2011, 17:39   #26
Eternal Member

A pixture is worth a thousand words.

Or try Sherri Moon at Transatlantic Diesel for advice
Old 20-04-2011, 21:08   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've got an influx of family this weekend. Next time down to the boat I'll take a camera. Hopefully the photo will be of the engine running!

Old 21-04-2011, 07:27   #28

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

My imperfect memory recalls that there were some mechanical injection pumps that would not prime at certain rotations of the engine. If you haven't cranked the engine over yet, try rotating it ten or twenty degrees by hand (well, by socket) then try the bleed pump again...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 08:54   #29

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"

On my little Yanmar I put a squeeze bulb from an outboard between the big(ish) racor filter and the little lift pump.

When I change filters I (carefully) remove theold filter, screw on a new one.

I unclamp the hose from the out bound side of the bulb and squeeze until I fill the new filter and get fuel to flow out the bulb. I reattached the hose and squeeze the bulb hard and while cranking the engine continue to squeeze the bulb.

Even after a complete rebuild of the engine, doing it this way took less than 20seconds of cranking and squeezing to get the engine to start.

Why they don't put squeeze bulbs in diesels fuel line I can't fathom. It makes changing filters so much easier and cleaner too.

I guess some diesels may draw so much fuel that it might collapse the bulb but probably none of the small motors we use............m
Old 10-05-2011, 16:40   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow, what an oddessey but I have made progress.

I noticed that the primary filter housing was only partly full and that their seemed to be an airlock. I turned off the diesel at the tank and disconnected it then turned it on to and got nothing. I couldn't force air (blow) in the tube at first. So, I gave it a real good go and popped a plug out of it, ran some deisel through and ten reconnected. There is clearly some crap in the bottom of the tank.

I was beggigning to think the lift pump was hooped but I was now able to actually pump deisel through the system. I bled everything but couldn't get it to start so I bled thihngs again.

I have a cold start assist hooked up so I pushed the button to heat up the glow plug and got smoke from the air intake then tried to start it again. She didn't start but I did go more smoke from the air intake. I had been at it for awhile at this point and didn't want to drain the battery so I called it a day feeling some what better about the whole thing.

I'm away this weekend but will get back at it this weekend. Obviously I need to clean the tank.

Since she didn't start I'm guessing I still haven't got her properly bled? IT was turning over really well.

Tags
injector pump