Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2012, 12:43   #1

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Injection pump Saga

I thought I would just post follow up information concerning my engine saga on my Perkins 4107 fuel in oil problem. I had diesel in the fuel and my oil level would grow. Engine analysis also revealed antifreeze in my oil. These were from past threads from last fall. So, about a month ago I pulled the head and injector pump and took them to Baltimore Diesel for repair. I thought it would only take a week but turned into a month. They said the head was cracked due to thermal stress. They repaired the head and rebuilt all injectors and injector pump. Did not get any feed back about why they rebuilt them. But OK. Total bill $1405.05.

I am now doing the install. Took 7 hours to install the injection pump I am embarrassed to say. Only three bolts. But the bolt at the bottom was stubborn (see picture). I also lost a few into the bilge as I uttered a few swear words. As a side note, why doesn't somebody invent something to put under the engine to catch nuts bolts and tools before the disappear.

Got the head back on and called it a day. Still need to connect injector and torque head.

I may be to old for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat engine Bolt I hate.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	42457   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat engine Before head install.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	42458  

S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 07:10   #2

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: Injection pump Saga

I assume you got a new head gasket.
The cracks in the head are common. Mine had them as well and the shop "stitched them" I guess they drilled patterns across the cracks and then welded the groves. They were tiny, magnaflux would reveal them but i wasn't sure where to look. They were in the pre-combustion chamber passages between cylinder 2 and 3.

As far as that third IP bolt, everyone seems to make a special adapter. I use flex extension and adapter to my 1/4" drive ratchet. Ends up extending just above the heat exchanger. The more you do it the easier it gets.
Don't over tighten the high pressure lines. They need to line up so that you can hand tighten the nut. Otherwise you might strip a nut or scar the mating surface.

Also don't forget to re-torque the bolts after 25-50 hours in correct order. I am on hour 30 after a rebuilding the engine this spring. I was amazed that i got 1 to 1-1/2 turns on most of them before I reached the required torque. That of course requires taking the rocker off. Not that big of a deal if you have good access.

Injector nozzles are a rip off. I got a 650$ bill for changing nozzles and pop-testing the injectors. I am not even sure if they changed the springs.

Ebay has the nozzles at around 30$ per. I also found a chinese supplier that sells them for $3 but minimum order is 30.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 07:54   #3

Thanks
Yes I got a new head gasket from TAD in Virginia. Those people are amazing I ordered on Monday and had it on Tuesday. Gasket was about 40 bucks. Also had to get a tube of some blue gasket sealer for the 4107 ($20.00). I wire brushed the top of the engine before putting new gasket on.

As far the IP bolt goes, the picture is upside down. But I could not start the bolt unless pump was out about 1/4 inch. Note distance from head of bolt to IP Body. The bolt is a 1 1/4 long 5/16-24 bolt (guess how I know). I could have got a 1 inch long in there and maybe that is what it should be. Once I got it started I used an open end 1/2 in. Getting it started, that is grab treads, was the hard part.
Good info on the high pressure lines as I may have tried to over tighten. Also when taking out pump little black gaskets fell out which I was told came from the low pressure feed lines. Interesting since you would think the high pressure would need them. My only concern after completing project is nagging fuel leaks.

They said all my injector nozzles were bad. Rebuild was I think 65 apiece. I am hoping they did more than change nozzles.

Perkins 4107's have water cooled sleeves in cylinders. I hope to GOD that is not the source of any of the moisture I found when removing the head.

Thanks Again for the advice.
Old 20-06-2012, 06:59   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12

wet liners, that explains the extra 20$ gasket sealer. Did the shop test the head for warpness? Did they ask you about shaving it?
Shaving a head is always a hot topic. its a tradeoff between the risk of developing pinhole leaks to the cooling passages vs. the warpness and leaks around the head gasket. Mine was level enough that i didnt need it shaved, but my machine shop consulted with few other diesel shops to be sure.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 07:05   #5

They did not say a word about the head being warped. But from my observation it looked like they did not shave it.