Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2012, 23:24   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35
Impeller replacement Yanmar 3JH2

Attached is a video about how I replaced the impeller on a Yanmar 3JH2 after 2000 hours of use. There are special impeller puller pliers that would speed up the removal of the impeller, but I did not have the pleasure to use those. To mount the new impeller I used a hose clamp in order to get the right shape. Then I just allign the impeller with the housing and push the impeller through the hose clamp and into the housing. Make sure you use grease to keep everything smooth going. Some people claim not to use petroleum based grease but the Yanmar service manual does not mention that. It just says grease. I also placed the video on youtube:
Attached Files
wmgysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 23:49   #2

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: Impeller replacement Yanmar 3JH2

If I could help a little here. You don't need any special tools or clamps, keep the job simple, remove the old impeller with a pair of angled long nose pliers. put a wet n dry vacuum hose up the pipe to suck out any old bits of impeller or debris. Before fitting the new impeller, grease the splined shaft with waterproof grease, put some washing up liquid on your finger and coat the inside of the water pump, lightly coat the impeller with washing up liquid and slide it into place. Replace the cover. The vanes can will pop into proper position when you start the motor. Job done !
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar