Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2012, 18:46   #1

Leaking CAV injector pump on Perkins 4-154 - Help

We are on our way to the Bahamas, currently in Titusville FL. Noticed today that we have a slight drip from the fuel injector pump right at the seam where the top of the pump (where the throttle assembly connects) meets the rest of the body. Ours is a 1982 Morgan 416 OI, with the CAV D.P.A injector pump. Anyone had this problem before? It is dripping at a rate of about one drop per 15 minutes, so it wets a paper towel bunched up under the unit after a while. I haven't noticed this before, so who knows if it has been doing it for a while, or is the result of wear and tear as we have moved South.

Is this something i should get fixed now or when I return? Does it get worse if left untreated? My feeling is to get it done Stateside, before going to the Bahamas. But if so, who to do the work? Do I simply replace the seal, or get the whole thing rehabed. Is replacing the seal something that a person with reasonable but limited mechanical skills should attempt? The alternative is to yank the entire assembly and send it off for repair. Any suggestions, recommendations - particularly in Florida, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. George - Papagayo.
gchabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 20:39   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Leaking CAV injector pump on Perkins 4-154 - Help

go see tommy at westland marina in titusville. he's an a-1 mechanic although i don't know for certain if he works on injection pumps. if he doesn't, he'll steer you to the correct people. if tommy isn't around check with rick, the yard boss.

i would definetely get it fixed here in the usa. once your there - in the bahamas - it's tough to find a good yard and ALL parts must be flown in. there are two good yards in the abacos, one in green turtle and one in marsh harbor. but i think i would fix ALL problems here before leaving for there.

good luck...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 17:55   #3

One step: Thanks very much for the recommendation. Through another recommendation as well, I contacted Tommy about our problem. He removed the pump and in turn referred us to an injection pump rebuilder in Orlando. Our pump has now been rebuilt and reinstalled. Tommy proved to be a great mechanic, and the issue resolved at what I think was a very reasonable price. . . All things considered. I would recommend him highly, as well as the pump rebuilder, Accurate Diesel in Orlando. Thanks once again for the help. Tommorow we go South. GCHABS
gchabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 19:32   #4

Boat: csy 37

glad to hear everything turned out ok. i've got a 4-108 myself - probably the same injection pump. we're hauled out at westland right now (csy 37 'one step'} but should be back in the water in 2-3 months. then heading out to the abacos. might see you there.

if, god forbid, you need engine work there, marsh harbor marine is a first rate perkins repair guy. did my fresh water pump last year and probably cost the same as if i did it here in florida, even though he had to fly the part in from fort lauderdale.

fair winds and following seas..
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 20:50   #5

Boat: Cooper 416

Grab a 9/16th wrench and tighten all of your high presure lines on the pump.You might have to bend your wrench to tighten the lower one against the block but it can be done.if you can't get it pull the starter motor and maybe a oil line if you have a custom oil filter on the back above the tranny.It is a common problem and I have done it a sea.Good luck. Your bilge will be a lot cleaner when you pump it over board.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins