Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 20:30   #256

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
That looks, hum... interesting. is that piston really scored that bad on the side???

Yep, piston rings stuck in the lans. Cylinder and piston are shot...!!!
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 21:00   #257

Boat: Hunter 40
Re: I was Bored so Pulled the Head on my Yanmar

I have refrained from posting these images of my piston/liner after a slight overheat issue as I didn't want to drift the thread and take focus off the great job SC is doing.

Didn't grab, I shut it down before the heat went into block and bearings. Rings fused to piston. Silver areas on the liner are bits of aluminium piston! Result was 4 cracked heads, 2 stuffed pistons, 2 stuffed liners and a damaged turbo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	65178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0533.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	65179  

Old 07-08-2013, 02:29   #258

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

OUCH---more money
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:35   #259

Boat: Hunter 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
OUCH---more money
Yeh, ended up just shy of AUD$30K!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:01   #260

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
If anybody in Yanmar's marketing department had a brain (and if they read CF), they would be all over your project. What ad copy! SailerChic rebuilds her Yanmar herself! They have a good-looking, blond, female sailor doing it all herself! (Sorry for the stereotype, but ad guys would use it!). They should be paying you big bucks! They should be putting out a special model Yanmar in purple with hot pink add-ons. They should have been filming the whole thing for a youtube ad. What's $700 in parts compared to what they could get from your ordeal?

But then again, I guess they would rather just charge you twice for shipping the parts and let it go at that. Corporate marketing and customer care at its best.
Yea, but then they would have to comment on the few hours the motor delivered before it went belly up. No good copy from that.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Sure, there's just not that much water that comes in.....cut your flax ahead of time and you only have a trickle of water for the short time that all of the packing is out.
Boy.... I dont know about you guys but I've spent over a half hour on the hard trying to get the old packing out in the past on this type. I dont think I'd want to do it in the water, unless I had to.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:08   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 South View Post
I have refrained from posting these images of my piston/liner after a slight overheat issue as I didn't want to drift the thread and take focus off the great job SC is doing.

Didn't grab, I shut it down before the heat went into block and bearings. Rings fused to piston. Silver areas on the liner are bits of aluminium piston! Result was 4 cracked heads, 2 stuffed pistons, 2 stuffed liners and a damaged turbo!
What knd of engine is that?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:23   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Boy.... I dont know about you guys but I've spent over a half hour on the hard trying to get the old packing out in the past on this type. I dont think I'd want to do it in the water, unless I had to.
Exactly why I won't do it. Even with the right tool, no telling how long it'd take to get the old packing out. In the meanwhile... Just backing off on the nuts produces significant flow. Imagine the deluge if the second nut was removed and only some packing withdrawn.

Nope. Not going there.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:58   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Exactly why I won't do it. Even with the right tool, no telling how long it'd take to get the old packing out. In the meanwhile... Just backing off on the nuts produces significant flow. Imagine the deluge if the second nut was removed and only some packing withdrawn.

Nope. Not going there.
I guess even some women with pink engines have bigger cajones than us! haha

Old 07-08-2013, 10:07   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I guess even some women with pink engines have bigger cajones than us! haha
Yeah, but she only had one nut to deal with!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:46   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Yeah, but she only had one nut to deal with!
But its a big Nut. I don't believe I said that.....

Really I was expecting an in rush of water but it was just a trickle. Maybe a gallon a minute or so. So Anticlimactic....

Well have the fuel system primed to the injectors and I heard the injectors popping off. Had the decompression levers pulled so no unexpected starts. So its ready to drop in.

Got to go make sure my helpers are available tomorrow. No way am I lifting that engine, even with the block and tackle..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:00   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
But its a big Nut. I don't believe I said that.....

Really I was expecting an in rush of water but it was just a trickle. Maybe a gallon a minute or so. So Anticlimactic....

Well have the fuel system primed to the injectors and I heard the injectors popping off. Had the decompression levers pulled so no unexpected starts. So its ready to drop in.

Got to go make sure my helpers are available tomorrow. No way am I lifting that engine, even with the block and tackle..
It's O.K., scoobert doesn't appear to be lurking about in this thread...
Old 07-08-2013, 13:07   #268

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

For those wishing to remove your packing gland material, find a friendly dentist and ask him for his old and worn out hooked dental probes, get as many as you can and make a lot of friends when they see how easy it is to pull the old packing out and you just happen to have an extra. Maybe a afternoon sail for the dentist and his better half would be nice exchange....You can also use the dental probes to clean threads on bolt if needed.
Also to slow water ingress after removing large cup nut wrap shaft with oily rag and water flow should be minimal.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:16   #269

Quote:
Also to slow water ingress after removing large cup nut wrap shaft with oily rag and water flow should be minimal.
"Should be...?"

And, if it ain't?
Old 07-08-2013, 13:26   #270

Quote:
For those wishing to remove your packing gland material, find a friendly dentist and ask him for his old and worn out hooked dental probes, get as many as you can and make a lot of friends when they see how easy it is to pull the old packing out and you just happen to have an extra. Maybe a afternoon sail for the dentist and his better half would be nice exchange....You can also use the dental probes to clean threads on bolt if needed.
The probes are very handy for a lot of things for sure. I've not had success with them for removing packing....maybe mine were not heavy enough. I end up bending the probe. But discovered subsequently many good uses for them! A long #6 sheet metal screw seems to work good for packing, easier than the slide hammer/screw tool they sell. Screw it in and pry out on it.

Tags
head, yanmar