Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2011, 14:01   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
How to Lift an Engine

I finally found some time to give my engine some attention. She is four years old and runs well. I am having a problem with the lift pump but that is another story. I remember reading an article by Don Casey and that one of the things he does is clean the engine with WD-40 every year. I decided to do this as well. I spent maybe two hours cleaning. I removed the cover for the alternator belt and there was quite a bit of black dust under the cover that had come from the belt. I cleaned all of it off. I then found signs of some rust on the oil pan so I hit that with a metal brush and next time I go to the boat I am going to bring some paint with me.

I found a bit of salt water spray from the water pump impeller area and then a bit of rust on the engine mount. At this point I am going to need to lift the engine in order to remove the engine mounts so that I can paint them. I think it was Never Monday who suggested that lifting an engine was pretty easy if you had a basketball and just pumped it up under the engine. I have never moved an engine w/o a cherry picker and in this case I just need to lift it and then settle it back down. Rather then reinvent the wheel I thought I would try and use the collective wisdom of this forum to find the easiest way to do this. I just want to lift the engine repaint the engine mounts and then lower it back down.

What do you guys think?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 14:10   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: How to lift an Engine

what i think is ---i have a piston jack from a truck i owned for that purpose. i would have to place a board between my stringers and use that as a base to lift the engine off mounts and paint.
now that is taken care of,,

mine, next, please.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 14:17   #3

Boat: grampian 26

Regardless of how you lift your engine you will need to do a coupling alignment when you are done. My thoughts are that this should be checked annually anyway.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 17:39   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If the space beneath the engine is restricted, even a el-cheapo scissors jack (as supplied by lots of auto manufacturers in years past) will do the job, unless it is a really heavy engine. BTDT.

Good luck, mate

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-08-2011, 17:44   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I think it was Never Monday who suggested that lifting an engine was pretty easy if you had a basketball and just pumped it up under the engine.
I don't know that I'd want to be painting the mounts under an engine being supported by a basketball.

(Of course, my solution would be just to spray the mounts with Corrosion Block and forget about the paint.)
Old 29-08-2011, 17:46   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Some Use the boom

Some use a 6 by 6 across the comanionway

Some use levers and boards to slide the engine forward.

There are numerous ways to "skin this feline"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 18:01   #7

Charlie:

I was able to move and remove the Westerbeke 27 of of my boat by myself and found it rather easy once I started. You can see how I did it here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: Removing a Westerbeke diesel engine
Scroll down in the post and you will see the point where I had to lift the rear of the engine over some of the brackets screwed into the stringers. It was very easy to do with a couple of crowbars and wood blocks.
Old 29-08-2011, 18:20   #8

all thi sjust to paint mounts??? methinks bash has it dead on......
Old 29-08-2011, 18:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If the space beneath the engine is restricted, even a el-cheapo scissors jack (as supplied by lots of auto manufacturers in years past) will do the job, unless it is a really heavy engine. BTDT.

Good luck, mate

Cheers,

Jim
My worry with doing this is that the scissor jack will bend the oil pan. I guess I could just put a piece of 2x10 there to spread the load and another on the hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Regardless of how you lift your engine you will need to do a coupling alignment when you are done. My thoughts are that this should be checked annually anyway.
agreed that the alignment will have to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Some Use the boom

Some use a 6 by 6 across the comanionway

Some use levers and boards to slide the engine forward.

There are numerous ways to "skin this feline"
The engine is tucked underneath the companionway with no access from the top or this would be easy. I want to lift it straight up and then set it back down if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Charlie:

I was able to move and remove the Westerbeke 27 of of my boat by myself and found it rather easy once I started. You can see how I did it here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: Removing a Westerbeke diesel engine
Scroll down in the post and you will see the point where I had to lift the rear of the engine over some of the brackets screwed into the stringers. It was very easy to do with a couple of crowbars and wood blocks.
Thanks I'll have to look at the weight of my engine.

I thought of that BAsh but the corrosion has crept under the engine mounts and I won't be able to confirm that the rust is encapsulated.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 29-08-2011, 18:43   #10

place piece of wood under oil pan on top of jack. use jack. paint mounts. replace engine
\ re align it
sleep happily
then come do mine.......

if they aint broken, dont screw it up.
Old 29-08-2011, 18:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
place piece of wood under oil pan on top of jack. use jack. paint mounts. replace engine
\ re align it
sleep happily
then come do mine.......

if they aint broken, dont screw it up.
Remember that commercial -- I think it was Ammco transmission -- Pay me now or Pay me later? If the mounts get too rusty and become a pain in the ass to remove I will have a lot more work to do down the road. I think that I will be able to lift it without too much problem. Just gathering ideas for my winter project.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 29-08-2011, 18:56   #12

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: How to Lift an Engine

We lift BIG aircraft (747's) with air bladders every day, can't see why a basketball won't do the same if all you need is a couple of inches. Don't pump it full, you will exceed the rated pressure.
Old 29-08-2011, 19:03   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If your engine is a Perkins, don't lift it by pushing up on the oil pan. It will compress the cork gasket and make more leaks. Don't ask me how I know this.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 19:10   #14

Thanks to both of the Don's. It is a Yanmar engine.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 29-08-2011, 21:15   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Like Zeehag mentioned, I just put a board (with a step built in it) under the oil pan and used a scissor jack on my 3JH. It's easier if you do the port or stbd side first then switch. Just place the jack off center. I opened up the slotted side of the mounts to give them more free movement for adjustment.

One of the big down falls of Yanmars, the paint is not very good right out of the factory.

BTW a WD-40 misting should be parts of ones winterizing/storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3543.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	30938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3798.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	30939  

Tags
engine