Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 17:56   #1

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Hoses for remote oil filter

I am about to construct a remote oil filter arrangement for our Yanmar 3JH2 using some surplus alloy bar.
Do any of you have knowledge of what inside diameter hose I should use between the engine and the filter?
Return distance will be about two metres or less and each hose will have at least one elbow.
Was going to use half inch, but my hydraulic supplier thinks that 3/8 will be ample.
Would appreciate info from anyone that has designed or is running a remote filter on a similar sized engine.

Thanks,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 20:40   #2

Boat: Cherubini Independence 45
Re: Hoses for remote oil filter

I wouldn't make it any smaller than the nipple that the existing oil filter screws on to.

Ted

O.C.Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 22:01   #3

You might want to rethink this system. Two meters of return line means 4 meters of line(with elbows) which is way excessive hose length for a remote filter. You put a remote filter to make it easy to get to, not to put it 6 feet away from the engine. It only means to get it easy to reach and to get some kind of drip tray or small bucket under under it for filter changes. Anything over 1/2 meter of hose sounds wrong.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Mine were 1/2" NPT elbows, hoses, and i kept stuff 12" each way, plus 12 inches to oil cooler. I would not lower the pipe sizes. I felt like remote oil kits were too expensive so on my Westerbeke 40, I drilled/tapped two ports into 3/8" thick aluminum plate. That was my block adapter. I kept the oil filter flange, just mounted it on a engine room bulkhead. A lot cheaper then the remote oil filter kits.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 20:55   #5

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Thanks for your replies.
Ted, will measure the hole in the block where the oil returns from the filter. The threaded stub is M20 but is probably that size for mechanical reasons rather than for oil flow.
Grant, I meant that the total round trip length was two metres, but I agree the shorter the better.
Phorvati, I like your approach to the problem.Will probably end up with half inch hose.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 21:21   #6

My first day out on a Hinckley charter the oil pressure alarm went off - fortunately the wind came in and I was able to sail to a boatyard.

It turned out that the external oil filter hose had chafed through on an engine mount and pumped all the oil into the bilge.

It made me rethink the convenience of the things.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 07:21   #7

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
My first day out on a Hinckley charter the oil pressure alarm went off - fortunately the wind came in and I was able to sail to a boatyard.

It turned out that the external oil filter hose had chafed through on an engine mount and pumped all the oil into the bilge.

It made me rethink the convenience of the things.

Carl
Went through few blown flange gaskets and oil spraying in the engine room, oil in the bilge until we got remote oil filter to behave as intended. Still it makes oil changes very easy.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 07:40   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am using pressure hoses for mine--had to buy new, as that was my oil loss problem--holed hoses
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 07:42   #9

The hoses on a 120 lehman are app 14'' long When I changed from the original 5/16'' hoses to the replacement 3/8'' hoses I picked up 10lbs of oil pressure
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, remote