Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2008, 19:02   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Gearbox problem

I am not sure what transmission mine is in my 1974 Cal 2-29. I will try to read the numbers tomorrow but I could not read them today when I was in the engine room (?!).
The problem I am having I believe is in the linkage. I can adjust the shift linkage (at the transmission) by removing a clevis pin from the fork on the end of the shift cable and turning it a half turn or more at a time. I can get the transmission to shift into forward reliably, but not reliable into reverse or into reverse reliably but not into forward. It will shift into forward but it may grind when I try to shift into reverse or not go at all. It is as if there is not enough throw from the shifter on the Edson pedestal controls.
I aslo see what I take to be a clutch adjustment that is controlled by the shift linkage, but I did not want to mess with that as I did not know how it works.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks in advance

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2008, 21:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You need to isolate two possible fault areas so as you can narrow down the possible cause. Firstly, remove the cable from the box lever. Now does that allow the box to go in and out of both fwd and rev gears OK. If it doesn't solve anything, then the issue is with the box. If it does go into gear OK, then the issue maybe a worn or badly adjusted cable. Look for worn clevis pins, loose clamps, and play in the control unit. It maybe that an adjustment is needed. Ensure the box lever is set to neutral position and see if that position corresponds to the control being in neutral.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 06:00   #3

Thanks Alan - we will be going over there this morning and I will try manually shifting it a number of times at the gearbox with the cable disconnected.
I did watch the cable, clevis pins, and mount while my daughter shifted back and forth several times. Nothing looked out of the ordinary there (no real slop in anything).
I did not check the pedestal controls yet.
The shift cable in neutral does correspond with the neutral on the gearbox.

Old 30-03-2008, 19:56   #4

Problem Identified

Ok, after working with it for a while, I believe that I have identified the problem.
It appears that the shifter on the pedestal does not allow enough throw to properly engage the transmission in both directions. I can get it to engage in one direction or the other but not both. Disconnecting the shift cable and manually shifting the transmission in both directions produces flawless operation every time. No grinding, no missed shifts etc and the shift lever on the transmission visibly moves further than the shift cable allows for.
I dis-assembled the top of the pedestal to look at the shift mechanism from there and I find no problem on that end. It simply does not shift far enough.
I can't help but wonder how it worked all this time the way it is?
Unless anyone knows a better solution, I am planning on cutting 1 -1/2" off the top of the shifter on the transmission and re-drilling and tapping it to accept the shift linkage. The shorter shift lever should engage properly.
Please tell me if I am about to make an un recoverable mistake!
I did take pictures of the linkage assembly and can post the pictures if that would help.

Old 30-03-2008, 20:51   #5

Boat: Trismus 37
Are there linkage holes further down the gearbox selector lever if the are then shift the morse cable connection to there, this will allow the gearbox lever to throw further than if it was connected to the top of the lever. Alternately it could be the reverse of this and be at the throttle / shift lever end, the reverse would be the case and you would need a longer throw if the cable is connected 1/2 way down and not connected at the end of the selector. Hope that doesn't confuse you tooo much?
(more simply put)
You either need a longer throw at the hand control or a shorter throw at the gearbox selector.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2008, 21:00   #6

Hi Steve - you hit the nail right on the head. I am out of time right now, but I will try to upload a picture tomorrow of where I moved the cable down the lever further. It works perfectly like that but I will have to move the cable clamp also as it will bind the cable every time I shift into reverse if I don't and probably cause a failure of the cable shortly.
Thanks,

Tim

Old 31-03-2008, 00:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It is possible there is just that wee tiny bit of wear somewhere that now allows the problem to manifest. Ensure all the clevis pins are good. Usually the holes in the "muck metal" levers slog out.
And yes, the cable must run true and free.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 03:35   #8

is the shift handle plastic or cast metal?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 05:26   #9

The shift handle is cast metal. Quite easily drilled.

Old 31-03-2008, 05:33   #10

just bend it to get the required clearance. I've seen many hit the pedestal and not completely shift.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 07:57   #11

Sorry Pat - I think I was screwed up here. I was thinking of the shift lever on the transmission. The shift handle on the pedestal is metal but there is no interference with the handle and the pedestal. I looked at it closely when I pulled it apart and shifted it back and forth to see exactly what it was doing there also.

Different question (or should this go in another thread?)
Do you have a supplier that I can check with to buy a new flexible shaft coupler? The one that i broke is about 3" or 4" long with about a 2 3/4" bolt pattern. I may be off a little on those measurements.
Thanks

Old 31-03-2008, 09:44   #12

If the gearbox has a "servo clutch" that is worn you will get the same symptoms. If the forward selection is slipping and reverse is still engaging correctly it's a good bet thats the problem. You can check the clutch by comparing how far the taper on both ends of the clutch go into the forward or reverse gear hub. Modification of the shift lever on the gearbox is buying time but you wil still have to revisit the clutch anyway.
Good Luck
stuffinbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 10:36   #13

This thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ols-14031.html
describes in detail exactly what I am working on right now with this problem.
He has described it better than I did. I believe that the solutions will be the same.

Tags
gearbox