Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2008, 04:55   #1

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
will Yanmar 2GM/KM2a trannie work with dual controls?

Hi Folks, Really need advice - Sorry about the long post!!

I am not sure if my boat (1978 Seafarer 30) came with a Faryman diesel, or something else - but it was repowered at some point, with a 1982 Yanmar 2GM and KM2a trannie. It has a Yacht Specialities wheel / pedestal (knock - off Edson, I am told), that came new on the boat. It has separate control levers for gear selection, and throttle. (I believe these larger controls / cables were common with Atomic 4s, but was told Seafarer's didn't come with them - ???)

When repowered, the PO used the thicker original controls, with the new engine, but did not use the normal shift cable mount postion (on the trannie bell housing). Instead, the cable was mounted in a bracket behind the engine, and they changed the throw position of the trannie lever, to match the back / forth throw of the cable. (I believe they did this, as the thicker cable would not fit in the stock KM2a bell housing bracket)

I am not sure if it ever shifted well, but soon after I bought the boat, I noticed is would not always go into fwd / rev well.

I tried adjusting the cable throw numerous times, a bit closer to fwd, rev, etc. Even drilled a hole closer to the lever pivot point, to increase the throw.

Once I started reading more / asking questions, I found out that I was missing the spring joint device, on the end of the shift cable. The PO just used a clevis pin, at the end of the cable.

When I would shift the pedestal lever into gear, I would usually have to run below, and manually push the trannie lever a bit more, to "clunk" it fully into gear. The lever would get the prop shaft spinnning, fwd, or rev, but it wouldn't "clunk" and go faster, until I pushed a bit, on the trannie lever. Then it would stay in gear, as I motored for hours, etc, unless I idled very low, I would have to do it again.

Have bought a new normal / thin Morse cable, the spring joint, and will likely be repositioning the trannie lever back to it's stock position. It currnetly moves about 10 O'clock (rev) to 2 O'clock (fwd). My Yanmar manual shows the original throw to be approx. 1 O'clock to 3 O'clock. Of course, my pedestal control lever moved toward the bow, to go into rev, and toward the stern, to go fwd (as the cable came in from the back, instead of from the front / top of the bell housing)

I had heard about the trouble in using the old controls, but thought it was only the throttle control, that would require a couple "tension / bulldog" clamps, so it didn't kep lowering it's rpms.

I didn't know that I may have trouble with the gear selector as well.

Besides not wanting to buy a new single lever control, I like the placement / looks of the old levers, and don't really want to mount a new one, on the side of the cockpit, for instance.

Advice??
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 05:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster
will Yanmar 2GM/KM2a trannie work with dual controls?
Yes, it will.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 05:09   #3

Gord - Thanks for the reply. Do I need to put any tension (bulldog type) clamps on the shift cable, to get the proper tension to work with the spring joint?

I had to do this with the throttle cable, as it would not hold it's rpms!

Any other things to watch??
Old 31-03-2008, 05:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Goto Teleflex Morse Instructions: Controls & Cables at
Teleflex Marine Teleflex Marine -

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 05:37   #5

You shouldn't need to tension the shift cable. Just replace the cable and drill a hole for the new size clevis in the pedestal control.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 06:14   #6

NeverM- Thanks! Yes, I was hoping tha tI would just have to drill out the clevis, and put the new cable on.

Do you think the fact that the spring joint was missing would account for it not going fully into gear - and slipping out, only when I reduced rpms to idle?
Old 31-03-2008, 06:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
Do you think the fact that the spring joint was missing would account for it not going fully into gear - and slipping out, only when I reduced rpms to idle?
no, it was replaced on later models with a hard joint
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2008, 07:39   #8

But didn't they switch to some type of internal "tension" device, on the newer models, where they got rid of the spring joint, and switched to the hard joint (clevis pin)?

When I was reading my Yanmar manual, last year, it had alot of info about the sping joints "job" of putting the correct amount of pressure on the lever, to get / keep it in gear. It seems odd to me, but I know my cable had enough throw last year, but still needed a little push of the hand, to clunk it into gear. My hand never really moved the lever father - just put more pressure on it!

I appreciate the help!!!

Tags
2gm, yanmar