Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 16:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Found locknut in engine bilge - 3YM30 Yanmar

My boat was thrown around quite a bit in Michael's 150 mph winds but she hung on for dear life and survived. As I was inspecting everything I found a loose lock nut that is the same exact size and type as the nuts on the shaft coupling, but they are all there and tight. What are the odds it was dropped during boat build 10 years ago? I can't see anything missing so I am at a loss as to where the lock nut came from.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-22 15.49.13.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	179525   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-10-22 15.48.56.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	179526  

EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 16:19   #2

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft
Re: Found locknut in engine bilge - 3YM30 Yanmar

Do this: examine the nylon ring for thread deformation. If there's none, it was never used, so toss it in the bolt bin.
Old 23-10-2018, 18:59   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

Yanmar nuts are stamped with a certain number because of heat (aggh, someone with the technical words will correct me on this) and so a regular lock nut (plastic inside, right?) probably didn't come off the engine. I think you're good especially if you checked all the threaded bolts carefully.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 19:43   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Yanmar nuts are stamped with a certain number because of heat (aggh, someone with the technical words will correct me on this) and so a regular lock nut (plastic inside, right?) probably didn't come off the engine. I think you're good especially if you checked all the threaded bolts carefully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
My boat was thrown around quite a bit in Michael's 150 mph winds but she hung on for dear life and survived. As I was inspecting everything I found a loose lock nut that is the same exact size and type as the nuts on the shaft coupling, but they are all there and tight. What are the odds it was dropped during boat build 10 years ago? I can't see anything missing so I am at a loss as to where the lock nut came from.

Any ideas?
Ahh, shaft coupling bolts are not supplied by engine manufacturer but by the fitter. My bet would be a dropped nut on install and far easier to grab a new one than to stuff around looking for it in the bilge.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 09:35   #5

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

I would much like to know where your boat was during the storm? Ours is on Pensacola beach and it was looking grim up to 4 hours prior to landfall.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 09:46   #6

Boat: Beneteau 343

I anchored in Watson's Bayou on east side of Panama City. I had 150 mph sustained winds and was within 10 if not 5 miles of eyewall. I used 4 anchors in total but my main strategy was a tandem anchor rig with a total of 160' of chain and 4 nylon connections to the boat. The tandem anchors dragged perhaps 250' but eventually held. Amazing destruction all around including 100s of boats but mine was one of the very few that were floating clear when I found her the day after the storm. Very lucky!
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ym30, bilge, engine, yanmar