Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2019, 21:27   #16

Boat: Casacde 36
Re: Engine went full RPM....now doesn't start

looks like the rack control is sticking a little. Normally, the rack goes to full fuel position when shut down; it immediately returns to whatever speed you've got the throttle position set to immediately thereafter, when you start it up.
It is unlikely to be the injectors, they only inject whatever fuel is delivered to them from the injector pump. First, try bleeding at the pump housing bleed screw, making sure you've got all the air out.
Make sure the engine is cranking over at sufficient speed too.

In the shop manual, there is a diagram showing how the rack control works so you may have to remove the pump and make sure it is sliding freely. It usually doesn't give any trouble. It only requires very little finger pressure to move it back and forth.
If you do remove the pump, do not bend the lines out of the way. Unscrew both ends and remove them completely. Be careful with the timing shims, between the pump body and timing cover housing.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 02:15   #17

Hi Andreas, I think kiwijohn is right with his advice and you probably won't be able to avoid an injector pump service. It is possible to remove the inspection cover on the side of the injector pump and operate the fuel rack manually without taking the pump off the engine if it's got the inline type pump but if the rack is sticking the pump will still have to visit the fuel injection technician.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 02:55   #18

Boat: Nordhavn 46 motorsailor
Send a message via Skype™ to janaconda

Check the lift pump. If the membrane is leaking, the diesel runs into the oil pan and at one point it will be so full, that oil and diesel mix will be forced up through the crankshaft ventilation, into the intake, and the engine runs wild.
Old 31-01-2019, 07:28   #19

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

Manufacturer?
Why did it stop? Was it because you choked it and it could get no more air? Does it try to start? (if so, fuel is getting there, at least) If it turns over, there would be nothing blocking anything, but the best way to check that is to try turning the front pulley by hand. If there is nothing blocking anything in the cylinders, it probably will run. Then, before trying to start it, be sure there is plenty oil in the crankcase.
The term "runaway" has been used but that is only with a turbo system and that only happens when a seal separating the engine oil and the intake system collapses.
There is another type of runaway, but that is particular to Yanmar GM series engines, and it only happens if the injector pump hasn't been installed correctly, making it either idle only or over rev only. But that doesn't fall under the "runaway" category, because it is ony using fuel from the tank.
But an engine that was running and was stopped by stopping the flow of air wouldn't be suffering from injector or injector pump problems, because those were working at time of being stopped.
I would remove the intake manifold and have a look to see if the extreme pressure at the end could have "swallowed" the air filter element or something like that, blocking the intake system.
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 19:53   #20

Boat: Amel 50

Did you try to bleed the fuel circuit?
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:23   #21

Boat: Casacde 36

Oops, I was wrong. That pump doesn't have timing shims
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:18   #22

Boat: Domp 8.60

Check if the stop lever is not stuck in the stop position.
Milko Berben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:33   #23

Boat: Schionnings, Wilderness, 45

Happened to me with a brand new engine:
Problem was solidified diesel in the injector pump.
Had to be taken apart and cleaned.
Carl1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:05   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any Diesel can overfuel and run away, it does not have to be a turbo, although a turbo does add in another failure mode that can result in a runaway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:14   #25

When a diesel engine runs away, it's been my experience that there is a blow by problem (rings, typically, but could also be valve guides), and the lubricating oil is feeding into the combustion chamber. Injection pumps aren't usuallly the culprig. An intake manifold full of oil is the first thing I'd look for.
Robert Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 13:54   #26

Boat: Hunter 30 G

Had a similar problem with an old Mercedes I had, changed the oil with the front of the car on ramps. When we started it, it went to max rpm, white smoke filled the shop, turned the key off, kept running for about a minute, the longest minute of my life. Took it off the ramps, started it up, all was well, drove it for about another 80k miles, no issues. We figured we were burning motor oil through the pcv, probably a puddle in the back of the motor from having the front elevated.
Old 09-02-2019, 15:53   #27

Ok buddy, I hate to hear stuff like that. Bless you! Governor stuck and...and, was there any unusual smoke during the incident? If so you now have a bearing problem in your turbo. If it still turns but doesnt fire, maybe you still have a shot at a minor repair. Check above mentioned. I love a turbo on my autos but at sea, not so much. Im still running normally aspirated Perkins. The lees junk you add the less problems are likely. MHO.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 15:46   #28

I have seen this before, I think that the plunger and barrels, which are at full fuel position when the engine is not running, are gummed up and the governor could not pull the fuel rack back when the engine started. Nozzles are just slaves to the injection pump so no sense pulling them except to have them check/rebuild. I would pull the injection pump off, COUNT & KEEP THE SHIMS , and have it rebuild.
Diesel3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 17:09   #29

Gasoline in tank maybe???
Treyolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2019, 17:45   #30

Oh sorry guys...I forgot to get back and tell tell the problem is now fixed.
Took the injector pump to the lab where they fixed it. Something with the guverner. The motor has been sitting for 4 year..but just before that the injector pump was rebuilt...Anyway...now it runs just fine!

Thanks for all inputs!
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, rpm