Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 13:09   #1

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch
Electromax cluster pup

I purchased an Electro-Maax serpentine belt conversion kit for my Yanmar 2GM20 diesel (raw water not fresh). I did this only after reading the technical information provided to make sure that it would "work". Well, $499 later a package arrived with two serpentine pulleys and belts......where's the third pulley? A phone call to customer service and review of contents reveals the kit is complete ! Whaaaat? Off to tech service we go. Confirmed, they don't make a COMPLETE kit for the 2GM20. There's no pulley for the water pump">raw water pump, only the alternator. But!, I say, the description gives detailed instructions on installing the raw water pump! The explanation? They didn't write a separate set of instructions for the 2GM20......they're generic. There was also the wrong installation instructions sent with the "kit", a spacer not mentioned in the instructions, and a second belt for the third pulley I didn't get? Wow. And finally, they're looking into whether I can get a refund...double wow.

So, if I'm stuck with the flea ridden dog, I guess I'll have to either kluge a way to convert the pump, leave it as is (NOT), or if possible convert the raw water pump to electric. Is that possible?

I apologize for the length of this question.
mserafi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 13:49   #2

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Electromax cluster pup

Their ad says money back guaranty, so they shouldnt have an issue but you'll pay shipping. 499.00 could buy alot of spare belts and a few other things...how often were you chewing up belts and was it the alt or the wp belt that goes most often?

On a second note a continuous duty pump like a shurflo spectra wm feedpump would probably work, but they are over $300.00

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 14:00   #3
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Unfortunately this does not surprise me with Electro-Maax. On the bright side, they are likely to give you a refund although you will eat freight both ways
The other possibility - have a pulley made for you locally .....
I personally would not like a conversion to an electric pump - more stuff to go wrong.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 14:03   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Electro Max doesn't have a good name on this forum.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 15:08   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You are learning a lesson the hard way about ElectroMaxx - just like a lot of us here have also learned similarly.

They are at the top of untrustworthy and bad marine vendors. And that is if you can get anything they sell to even work. They are considered even worse than untrustworthy and bad by those of us who have suffered their broken, non-working crap.

Search the forums and you will find what I'm talking about.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 15:12   #6

If I had access to a shop, I'd make them myself, but I'm retired and don't have any buddies who could do a "government " job for me. The path of least resistance, and the fact that the raw water pump belt is more of a problem pushes me toward the electric water pump. The Electro not so Max will take care of the alternator belt, and an electric pump wired to come on with the key would theoretically work......wouldn't it? The Yanmar pump hasn't been a pillar of dependability either. Any technical drawbacks or killers on an electric pump (not considering price)?

Thanks...........Mike S.
Old 22-04-2015, 16:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mserafi1 View Post
if I'm stuck with the flea ridden dog
After seeing many a ElectroMaax disaster, "flea ridden dog" is about as kind a comment I could make.

As for their "Money Back Guarantee" any Guarantee is only as good as the Company willing to stand behind it....good luck with that. When it goes ugly, old smooth talking John Stevens will play the "I'm a Canadian business and you are in the USA....try suing me if you can". I've heard the words personally and from several other clients unfortunate enough to get sucked into doing business with them.

Going to an electric raw water cooling pump....NO WAY...bad idea, almost as bad as doing business with ElectroMaax....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 16:29   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I would NOT wire an electric water pump into the key switch, at least not without an oil pressure switch too. Reason is it would be too easy to hydro lock, but if you have an OP switch in series, then the pump would only run when there was oil pressure.
Some autos have the OP switch in series with their fuel pump, theory being if your in a wreck maybe you won't be spraying fuel from a busted fuel line, some cars use a tach signal for the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 10:55   #9

Hmmmm. Some yes (with safeties), some no comments (except the universal love of Electromaax), and some definite no (without explanation). Would the nay Sayers expand a bit on their objections? If a industrial quality pump is energized through a oil pressure switch. Wouldn't that prevent the possibility of hydro lock?

Also, in all fairness to Electromaax, I'm happy to report the receipt of an RA via e-mail today. I think the level of incompetence in their web site even made them balk at keeping such unseemly profit..........or, I was just lucky. ��
Old 23-04-2015, 11:04   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

It is common for generators to have an electric raw water pump, but they run at constant speed. I think the problem with an electric pump on an engine may be getting the water flow correct. Too much flow and you flood the system at idle, too little flow and you have cooling issues at high rpm.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:33   #11

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You are learning a lesson the hard way about ElectroMaxx - just like a lot of us here have also learned similarly.

They are at the top of untrustworthy and bad marine vendors. And that is if you can get anything they sell to even work. They are considered even worse than untrustworthy and bad by those of us who have suffered their broken, non-working crap.

Search the forums and you will find what I'm talking about.

Mark
Sadly, I failed to read the comments on Electromaax before I bought one. The whole experience with Electromaax has been a disaster. After ripping it out, I sent it back and they want $900 to repair it. I should have kept it for a spare dinghy anchor.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:39   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a buyer beware heads up:
Electromaax is now operating and selling under a new name and website "Marine Smart Energy".

Its the old game of when your name and reputation becomes mud in the industry, just change your name so that clients will have a harder time researching you and your product on the web.

I just spoke to a frustrated customer on Monday who after 16 months of trying to get the Electromaax water maker to work, finally threw in the towel and is unfortunately now having to purchsse $1525 in new parts to get his " good deal water maker" up and running.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:36   #13

Boat: Hunter 340

In my case, Electromaax claims that the alternator was wired incorrectly. I wonder how they would know that considering they never saw my boat!!?? The marina that installed it says they installed it correctly. Electromaax suggested I contact a company in Ft. Lauderdale to check the installation and their conclusion was that the work was done correctly, yet 80 engine hours later, the alternator died. So, two companies confirmed the work was done right, but Electromaax (who never saw it) claims it was NOT done correctly! Go figure!
I would love to hear from other cruisers on this issue. I want my money back and I will not let this die. I know, I know...I'm a fool to think that will happen.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:57   #14

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by mserafi1 View Post
I purchased an Electro-Maax serpentine belt conversion kit for my Yanmar 2GM20 diesel (raw water not fresh). I did this only after reading the technical information provided to make sure that it would "work". Well, $499 later a package arrived with two serpentine pulleys and belts......where's the third pulley? A phone call to customer service and review of contents reveals the kit is complete ! Whaaaat? Off to tech service we go. Confirmed, they don't make a COMPLETE kit for the 2GM20. There's no pulley for the raw water pump, only the alternator. But!, I say, the description gives detailed instructions on installing the raw water pump! The explanation? They didn't write a separate set of instructions for the 2GM20......they're generic. There was also the wrong installation instructions sent with the "kit", a spacer not mentioned in the instructions, and a second belt for the third pulley I didn't get? Wow. And finally, they're looking into whether I can get a refund...double wow.

So, if I'm stuck with the flea ridden dog, I guess I'll have to either kluge a way to convert the pump, leave it as is (NOT), or if possible convert the raw water pump to electric. Is that possible?

I apologize for the length of this question.
Send it back.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:12   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I want my money back and I will not let this die. I know, I know...I'm a fool to think that will happen.
Any updates for us?
Were you able to get your money back?