Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2016, 05:08   #1

Cutless Bearing, I'm In Deep Trouble...

Hi,

While removing the bearing from the cutless housing I damaged the tread. Once I tried to put it back on the stern tube (see pictures) it turns couple of times and then it falls off. It won’t bite. Now I had an engineer to have a look and I got this answer: “The thread on the bearing housing is badly damaged and a new housing should be fitted. The stern tube thread is also damaged and is pink due to dezincification and is weak and spongy. To carry out a permanent repair this would involve cutting the old stern tube from the boat and fitting new tube and housing. The cost for this will be 6000 US.”

I’ll buy a new housing (not sure if it will work?), but do any of you have any proposals how to repair that bearing on the stern tube without cutting it out?

the boat is HR42e
Thanks in advance for any inputs
amarf is offline   Reply With Quote