Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 13:10   #16

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: Changing long shaft to short shaft on outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
That's my issue. The motor is 10+ years old. Knock wood before I write this, it always starts. Works like a champ. Last 2 stroke they made. I am not going to put 600+ into a 10 year old motor, also I would probably get a 6 hp instead, but I was hoping there was a simple solution to this. I was thinking of getting some wood to attach to the transom to get the motor up 4 more inches, but that is kind of a kludge.
The motor is worth keeping those are a reasonable weight and pretty reliable. Honestly the best bet is to watch ebay craigslist etc for a short shaft parts motor. Back in the day I knew guys who kept parts around forever that could help but most have gotten rid of most of their old parts now.

Still if your in New England you can try and call Tim at Ouboard Exchange in Waterford CT. Or Stetson and Pinkham in Maine. Both used to keep alot of odd used parts around. If it was an OMC product I would tell you to call Saunders in Southwick Ma but I don't think he ever delt with the Mercs.
Old 06-09-2017, 13:13   #17

They make exactly what you want but way too much $ for it. T and R MARINE TE-217 trnsm elevator - SavingLots.com

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 13:16   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
They make exactly what you want but way too much $ for it. T and R MARINE TE-217 trnsm elevator - SavingLots.com

Of course now you've got a dinghy with some extra stuff on it.

I would just live with it until I found a 4-5hp
merc/mariner/tohatsu shortshaft for parts.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard