Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2011, 07:22   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Can You Carry an Outboard Engine in Your Luggage ?

Can you carry a outboard engine in your luggage? one that been used? I know there are some restrictions on engines that have been used because gas may be in the carb- I’m going to pull the carb and carry it in separate bag-anyone try it before??
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 07:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Just curious..... why not ship it ahead? There is no amount of money that would make it worth my while to tote an outboard on a plane!
Old 15-02-2011, 07:47   #3

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Although it was a long time ago, January, 1988, we shipped one back and forth from Florida to West End in the Bahamas on board an aircraft. It went counter to counter, which is more or less the same as baggage, and it was a used and needed repair.

Turned out the problem was caused by a rusty fuel tank, so we ended up sailing back with no power -- as well as no batteries or lights I might add.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 08:59   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
Although it was a long time ago, January, 1988, we shipped one back and forth from Florida to West End in the Bahamas on board an aircraft. It went counter to counter, which is more or less the same as baggage, and it was a used and needed repair.

Turned out the problem was caused by a rusty fuel tank, so we ended up sailing back with no power -- as well as no batteries or lights I might add.
Times have changed a bit-not that easy or so I’m told-

The story for me is this I bought a new dink & new 15hp2 stroke- the new dink weighs about 120lb, and the motor 79lbs , cost to ship it to Greece or Italy is about $2000 so I’m not doing that, I have a $300 voucher and the airlines says I can ship 6 50 lb bags with it so I’m thinking about taking everything apart , sending the engine in 2 bags and the dink in 3-
While I know its forbidden to send anything that has a gas smell in it, how strict are they now days??
Old 15-02-2011, 09:30   #5

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Once apon a time I boarded an aircraft with a complete electromechanical toolkit, (drills, screwdrivers, hammers, wrenches, sockets, meter, O-scope, etc...), with no questions asked. The pilots even joked as I was dragging it aboard that if something went wrong with the plane in flight they would know who to call. But those days are long gone. The company I worked for recently got fined for shipping a part airfreight that had a small amount of hydraulic fluid leak and stain the box.

I would ship it, and insure all parts are clean and dry. Getting something like that through customs on an international flight with every luggage X-rayed, and screened could easily turn into a nightmare.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 09:41   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Before the days of FedEx everyday to Bermuda, and PanAm doing BDA-JFK-BDA for $200, Friend bought 2 seats, 1 for him, 1 for 6-71 cylinder head. Up to Johnson and Towers, swap, and back home same day. Less than a day lost on excavator, at $125 per hour.
Just thinking about it, the Jimmy is still purring like a kitten.
Old 15-02-2011, 11:38   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Before the days of FedEx everyday to Bermuda, and PanAm doing BDA-JFK-BDA for $200, Friend bought 2 seats, 1 for him, 1 for 6-71 cylinder head. Up to Johnson and Towers, swap, and back home same day. Less than a day lost on excavator, at $125 per hour.
Just thinking about it, the Jimmy is still purring like a kitten.
man thats must have looked funny sitting next to a cylinder head!
Old 15-02-2011, 11:54   #8

I carried a watermaker and tools and fittings aboard a plane in October after "9?11" They let me through but I was searched so many times, both here in Calif. and in Oz. Don't think you could do that now.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 12:00   #9

Boat: Islander 36
I couldn't even bring a 3HP outboard back on the ferry from Catalina Island because it had once had gas in it, no matter how much I worked to clean it out. It was not the existance of gas that was the problem. It was the history of ever having had gas in it.

You need to check with the airlines, the not forum.
Old 15-02-2011, 12:38   #10

Boat: a sailing boat
Our friend did. He was asked what it was and claimed 'sport equipment'. He ended up with free shipping.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 12:53   #11

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Our friend did. He was asked what it was and claimed 'sport equipment'. He ended up with free shipping.

b.
Ah yes. I forgot about the old "flexible description" option.
Old 13-07-2014, 12:37   #12
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Can You Carry an Outboard Engine in Your Luggage ?

Just a note, I did bring it in my baggage, I took the lower unit off in one bage and the upper unit in a second bag, with the carb and flywheele in a thrid bag, they asked what was in the bags I told them engine parts
Old 13-07-2014, 16:07   #13

Boat: CT-47

Took mine on a flight from Hong Kong to Manila in the original carton. Engine has never been used previously.
When researching prior, I read no fuel (obviously) and no oil allowed. Drained the oil and off we went, no problem except some lengthy discussions with the Philippine upon arrival and a final payment to their retirement plan
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Just a note, I did bring it in my baggage, I took the lower unit off in one bage and the upper unit in a second bag, with the carb and flywheele in a thrid bag, they asked what was in the bags I told them engine parts
Hey Ram.. Sent you a PM. Please call me or send me an email. My email address is Suenos.Azules at yahoo.com Thanks. - Capt. John Banister
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:50   #15

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Times have changed a bit-not that easy or so I’m told-

The story for me is this I bought a new dink & new 15hp2 stroke- the new dink weighs about 120lb, and the motor 79lbs , cost to ship it to Greece or Italy is about $2000 so I’m not doing that, I have a $300 voucher and the airlines says I can ship 6 50 lb bags with it so I’m thinking about taking everything apart , sending the engine in 2 bags and the dink in 3-
While I know its forbidden to send anything that has a gas smell in it, how strict are they now days??
If you lie to them you might get away with it. The problem is the chance of the gasoline fumes igniting and blowing up the airplane.

My wife was in line at an airport once when they refused to let a guy bring a chain saw on the plane.

Tags
engine, outboard