Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 08:01   #16

Boat: Boatless ATM
Re: Can You Carry an Outboard Engine in Your Luggage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Just a note, I did bring it in my baggage, I took the lower unit off in one bag and the upper unit in a second bag, with the carb and flywheele in a third bag, they asked what was in the bags I told them engine parts
Just for posterity, if there's anyone looking to do this in 2019, we just took a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke from Berlin to Ecuador. I dismantled it as far as I could -took the lower off, carb, all fuel lines, air cleaner, spark plugs, coil, starting mechanism (pull start/flywheel). Then I cleaned everything with a toothbrush, soap, and alcohol. If you smelled closely it still smelled like gas, but if you were to open the luggage the smell wouldn't assault you.

Just a note: this engine has no gas tank, or oil reservoir (2-stroke).

I drained the oil out of the lower, shipped it in one bag, and took the carb completely apart and carried that on with me. The "motor" went in its own bag, wrapped in bubble wrap with duct tape over the spark plug holes and intake (24kg).

Lastly, there is an IATA regulation called A70 that allows for combustion engines to be checked on planes only if they've been purged and certified. We got a local shop to make a receipt saying they professionally cleaned it, and wrote a note (in 3 languages) saying that inside this packaging is boat parts, all pieces containing fuel have been removed, it has been professionally purged and cleaned, and all openings have been taped off. What we were trying to accomplish here was covering both bases - hopefully the TSA would agree these were "parts" and therefore not part of the A70 regulation for "combustion engines" - but if they DID label the motor as an engine, we had paperwork covering that as well. Anyway, it worked.

-James
Sunsetslim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, outboard