Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 20:35   #16

Re: Buildup in exhaust manifold

Bob, Forgot to say your picture actually looks like a riser (not a manifold) also any spraying water is done at the exhaust riser (not inside or near the manifold?

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 20:47   #17

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Bob, Forgot to say your picture actually looks like a riser (not a manifold) also any spraying water is done at the exhaust riser (not inside or near the manifold?

Cheers Steve
Hi, I am not the one asking the original question, I merely have a friend who is suffering a similar problem with a corroded manifold and thought the idea of a more robust version sounded good.
Cheers.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 20:48   #18

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

I hope I did not cause a confusion by using the incorrect name for my part. According to VOLVO PENTA, it is called the exhaust elbow.

I ended up ordering a stainless steel replacement from HDI Marine, located in Washington state.

Now that I have seen the inside of the elbow, I realize this must have caused a lot of constriction for the raw water system. This probably explains why I had the heat exchanger leak last year!!
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 21:05   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Steve, all I can see there is stainless exhaust elbows, not a manifold in sight as far as I can see.
Yep I apologize, assumed it was exhaust elbow as didn't read properly. Haven't attempted to make an exhaust manifold out of ss. & never seen one. Thanks Unc. Bob for pointing it out.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 21:11   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Yep I apologize, assumed it was exhaust elbow as didn't read properly. Haven't attempted to make an exhaust manifold out of ss. & never seen one. Thanks Unc. Bob for pointing it out.
Woops in fact it was an exhaust elbow! so my original post still stands. Think you have done the right thing buying ss exhaust elbow but still have to check for carbon buildup periodically.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 23:17   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

CapnSteve53,

Through the passages in the head that clog up with salt, yes. Hence removing the zincs.

If he has a heat exchanger that is soldered, and clogged, that would need to go to a radiator shop. But that hose, that the OP posted the picture of, sure looks like it has salt crystals in it.

Ann
Old 10-09-2017, 06:13   #22

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

If you use the wrong word, you convey the wrong idea. The originsl post showed a picture of the water injection bend, which sits between the manifold and the exhaust hose, where the water is injected into the exhaust gasses to cool them. We are discussing removing salt, not carbon.

Manifold means many, and on this context, it is where many (3, 4 or 6 usually) exhausts from each cylinder are joined into one exhaust pipe.

Hope this clarifes things.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:17   #23

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
If you use the wrong word, you convey the wrong idea. The originsl post showed a picture of the water injection bend, which sits between the manifold and the exhaust hose, where the water is injected into the exhaust gasses to cool them. We are discussing removing salt, not carbon.

Manifold means many, and on this context, it is where many (3, 4 or 6 usually) exhausts from each cylinder are joined into one exhaust pipe.

Hope this clarifes things.

Right, it is a two cylinder engine (VOLVO PENTA 2002) and the part I am looking at is supposed to inject water into the axhaust but I fear it is not doing its job well as the exhaust water that comes off the back of the boat is pretty cool and the engine over heats.
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 14:31   #24

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Would like to make a comment here, The Electrolysis system as above is based on Galvanic Corrosion and stray electrical current corrosion and there's one big hole in that theory (and eventually in your manifold leaving the Carbon in place and here's why:

1) “Carbon” comes from the Latin word “carbo,” which in English means “charcoal.” It is an element represented by the letter “C” and bearing the atomic number 6 on the periodic table.

2)Here's the main point:Carbon is a solid "non-metal" element

3) Since Carbon is a NON -METAL ELEMENT the so called Electrolysis will corrode the iron base (Metallic) but not corrode the Carbon, after corroding the iron base the Carbon may fall away leaving very suspect cavities behind?

Cheers Steve
Gotta disagree, in practice at least.

This method worked flawlessly on my exhaust elbow -- twice. Elbow came out very clean, didn't affect the (very expensive) green Volvo paint, but left the interior very nice. Left the unit working overnight. Takes more time to write about it than set it up.

I suspect that while your theory may be correct, the crud isn't just carbon, but has a lot of other stuff in it that IS subject to this method, just as rust is.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust