Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 09:24   #31

Boat: C&C 29 MkI
Re: Atomic 4 Gasoline engine

Interesting the number of skippers who knock the Atomic 4 for being a gasoline engine and therefore unsafe, but have propane fitted for the galley. If I had to wager, I would think there are more propane explosions than Atomic 4's that have exploded.....
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 09:36   #32

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
When I had written "ticking time bomb" I truly was not referring to the dangers of gasoline fires on boats, the dangers of which should be obvious (but apparently aren't) to even the least experienced sailors here. Rather than a literal explosion, I was referring to the fact that most of these engines are virtual antiques, many of which have been repaired by amateurs, with some of the repairs I've seen to include patching oil and water leaks with Marine Tex!

Some here have proudly quoted Wiki's statement that 20,000, of the 40,000 engines made, are still in service. That's 20,000 failures, or 50%! That's the ticking time bomb.
For an engine that went out of production 30 years ago and started production almost 70 years ago, that's actually amazing that there are 50% left My guess would be that rivals most diesels and likely beats quite a few.

They are robust engines they tend to be quieter and smoother then a diesel but use more fuel. But as said they are all 30 years old and as such will require some work. My families one overheated when the raw water cooling plugged up one of the passages, but that was fixed with a head gasket. The only recurring problem was with the fuel system, mostly due to sitting I assume. Modern gas does not store well.
Old 18-04-2017, 09:41   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
For an engine that went out of production 30 years ago and started production almost 70 years ago, that's actually amazing that there are 50% left My guess would be that rivals most diesels and likely beats quite a few.

They are robust engines they tend to be quieter and smoother then a diesel but use more fuel. But as said they are all 30 years old and as such will require some work. My families one overheated when the raw water cooling plugged up one of the passages, but that was fixed with a head gasket. The only recurring problem was with the fuel system, mostly due to sitting I assume. Modern gas does not store well.
This raises a very good point. All fuel lines from a boat this old should be replaced with the new A1-15 fuel hose. This is the Ethanol compatible hose. The older hoses suffered degradation due to the ethanol.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 09:44   #34

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
This raises a very good point. All fuel lines from a boat this old should be replaced with the new A1-15 fuel hose. This is the Ethanol compatible hose. The older hoses suffered degradation due to the ethanol.
Yeah in the end we changed the fuel tank and all the lines. The tank had alot of junk that the ethanol was slowly releasing into the system, clogging the filter.
Old 18-04-2017, 09:53   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
Yeah in the end we changed the fuel tank and all the lines. The tank had alot of junk that the ethanol was slowly releasing into the system, clogging the filter.
Did the same thing Colin. New tank, lines, fill hose and vent. Runs like a champ.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 10:28   #36

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Our family has had a Pearson Triton with an A4 in it - bought new in 1962. Just had the motor rebuilt last year.

Very dependable engine - easy to make sure it is installed safely. Easy to operate safely.

I'd sure like to see all the articles about gas engines on boats exploding vs propane explosions.

If you like the boat - buy it. Don't worry re consumption. You can buy thousands of gallons of gas before you use up the difference in price if you were to repower.

Don't listen to the negative Normans and Nellies - they are fear mongering.
Old 18-04-2017, 11:13   #37

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I'm hoping to do a shakedown trip with the current owner in a week or so which will give me time to address some of the items mentioned.
Blessings,
Bryan
Christiansailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 11:14   #38

Oh yeah, he has replaced the gas tank. Actually mounted it in the cockpit and built a frame over to sit on. Larger capacity and eradicated the rusty one below.
Christiansailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 12:23   #39

Boat: C&C27 mk1 27ft

Seems like the only people that have issues with the Atomic 4 have never owned one. With a good relationship with Moyer and their manuals and have upgraded with the modern add ons of electronic ignition and electric fuel pump, you won't find a more reliable, simple and quiet motor. Is there really any confirmed report of one ever blowing up (that had an installed and working blower)?
mike-atoakville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:01   #40

Boat: Grampian 26

My friend had two Atomic 4's in the back yard to keep one on his boat running. I got tired of helping him take them in and out.

IMO they are old and smelly. Plan to replace it as soon as possible.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:28   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
They are not a bad little engine but I have never seen one safely installed. Sailors and and sailboat builders almost universally ignore the requirements for proper ventilation and ignition protection of a gasoline engine compartment.
Amen.

The choice of the name "atomic" brings up all the appropriate associations.

As in, mushroom cloud.

I would go with diesel just for this reason. The fuel cost is unlikely to be a big deal in the long run, compared to the difference in price. But I would not live with the gasoline fumes in the bilge.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:31   #42

Boat: Ericson 35-2

nonsense, it is diesels that are smelly... both in the boat, around the boat and around the entire marina. The smell makes me sick. And what is it with diesel owners that allow their engines to idle forever..?

"That's 20,000 failures, or 50%! That's the ticking time bomb"
GIVE
ME
A
BREAK!
Nearly 50 years old, operating in a hostile environment, and still going strong..?? that was just a dumb statement.
sailortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:32   #43

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Around boating professionals I often hear them referred to as Atomic Bombs.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:33   #44

Boat: Ericson 35-2

through very 'simple' word association.
please.....
sailortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 15:48   #45

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortype View Post
GIVE
ME
A
BREAK!...
Some of you are simply overwrought and entirely too sensitive about this.

For those who don't mind sitting on a gas can in the cockpit, to steer, because a proper repair was just too hard, anything goes.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine