Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2006, 19:34   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 38 - Limerick
Aqua Alarm

I have just purchased an Aqua Alarm system for my 2-engine cat (FP-38). I like the idea of having early warnings on the engines that I can’t get to easily such as:

Reduced Seawater cooling flow
High water alarm
Fire alarm
Low Oil pressure alarm
High engine temp alarm

So I am interested in anyone who has experience with any of these products and your thoughts.

I am disappointed with 2 main things, and I have not yet installed. Here are my gripes:

The Light Panel (with LED’s that light when one of the functions alarms) is represented as “Weather Proof”. Apparently Aqua Alarm has an interesting interpretation of weather proof. What they mean is – Mount it anywhere that it will NOT be exposed to the weather. Say inside your bedroom at home. It is evident that the panel/mounting box is anything but weather proof. No top panel gasket and wire looms enter through a drilled hole in the box.

The wire loom that goes to each engine is NOT marine grade. It looks to me to be the same wire I used when I wired my automatic sprinkler system at home.

I could not get to anyone responsible at Aqua Alarm. Just the guy that answered the phone and he gave me the “weather proof” answer; and regarding the wire loom – “that’s just the way it is”. Take it or leave it. Love that customer service!

So before I go to the trouble to solve the initial problems, I want to know the real world experience from you experts. And any alternative choices for the same type equipment.

I have posted this on multiple web sites.

Best Regards,

Bill
San Diego

Bill
Bill Houlihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 20:29   #2
SG

Boat: J/160 #12
We have one in our 8th season

Ours is mounted below at the nav station -- but the external audible alarm below is very loud (we hear it in the cockpit).

Ours has engine flow alarms for the engine, generator, foward and main bilges -- and the pan below the engine compartment.

The only gripe that we have in eight seasons is that the generator line intake is a relatively large diameter hose -- but the generator's flow is marginal for that diameter line. So, if the generator isn't loaded, we can get some false "alarms".

Other than that, we like the system.
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 22:45   #3

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
no problems

Windthief has had her system for, according to the owners, 8 years and no problems. The system continually works great for me in all aspects. I also have the entry alarm that is setup on four possible entry points including cockpit hatches. works like a champ with the panel mounted inside of the port companionway. and the bell is mounted behind the dash under my dodger.
I too called Aqua Alarm the other week to aquire a wiring diagram for my records, probably the same guy, he faxed it to me within a few minutes.
Anyway That's my story

Mine is the old style, silver panel below the VHF.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm