Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 23:29   #1

Boat: too many
Anyone using the Aquawatt 13Kw electric outboard?

Sure beats having to roll my own for the dinghy. Anybody have experience with it?

aquawatt Elektro-Yachten, Elektro-Boote, Fischerboote, Elektromotoren, Aussenborder, Batterien, Solarboote, Elektroautos
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 00:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Anyone using the Aquawatt 13Kw electric outboard?

The small model weighs 57 kilos (about 130 pounds) and draws 300 (!) amps at 50 volts. So I guess you'll need a few hundred pounds of batteries for it.

Big dinghy?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:17   #3

Boat: too many

Normal 13' 6", but RIB catamaran hull dinghy and LiFePO4 batteries will make life pleasant.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18   #4

It is convenient also for me to bring up this old subject once more. I already have a Minnkota RT-80 24V iPilot bough-mounted on a 14 ft Alu-sportfishing boat, which also can have a 25 hp transom petrole outboard motor for planning and faster cruising transport.

Any experiences with the current Aquawatt AB13R 50 V electric motor for this purpose?
It is said to perform 10KW (13 HP) on 48 V AGM and 13 kW (18 HP) on 51 V Li-Ion battery banks, both recommended to have at least 200 Ah.

The older (first) 2010 model AB10 that I still have found available less costly, was only mentioned as 10 kW (and 18 HP?) on 48 V batteries. Does anybody know if this model also could (can) perform 13 kW on 51 V Li-Ion?

Though I alreadey have 4x12 V 140 Ah AGM Solar batteries for MinnKota, it looks that they cannot be used for Aquawatt due to its up to 300 Amps requirements at flat out, and these batteries is expected to hold not more than 5-6 minutes. Therefore a Aquawatt AB13R and custom made LifePo4 batteries solution will be a hight cost and investment .......
terjejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:44   #5

Boat: Mclay 720HT 25ft, Fast cruising Cat 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Sure beats having to roll my own for the dinghy. Anybody have experience with it?

aquawatt Elektro-Yachten, Elektro-Boote, Fischerboote, Elektromotoren, Aussenborder, Batterien, Solarboote, Elektroautos
I know this is a really old thread but "Anyone using the Aquawatt 13Kw electric outboard?" is exactly the question I am asking without any results. so its a few years down the track surely someone has tried one?

Some background, I am/was a sparky, We generate all our own electricity. I am building an electric boat. These motors (13Kw Aquawatt) seem like the way to go for my project and there are apparently 300 of them out there (according to the Aussie distributor...)

So how about it! Has anybody heard any feedback about these motors, good or bad?
Electric Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:09   #6

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

I haven't, but last year I did do a fair amount of research on converting to electric for my 30' sailboat. All I can say is that $1,100 USD per kw for the motor alone is on the high end of the price range.
A high-quality 10 kw system from the source I was considering is still only $5,495 USD, and that's for motor, controller, switch, power relay, basically everything except batteries, cables and charger.

How big is your boat going to be?
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 13:20   #7

8.5m (28ft) cat, 2 x 53v Winston 400AH batteries (21KwHrs) so far, motors are proving more tricky...

Mark
Old 05-02-2016, 17:22   #8

[QUOTE=Brewgyver;2036063]I haven't, but last year I did do a fair amount of research on converting to electric for my 30' sailboat. All I can say is that $1,100 USD per kw for the motor alone is on the high end of the price range.
A high-quality 10 kw system from the source I was considering is still only $5,495 USD, and that's for motor, controller, switch, power relay, basically everything except batteries, /QUOTE]

So what conclusion did you come to if cost was not a factor in the range of high power 48v outboards?

Tags
electric, outboard