Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 08:42   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: A lot of air in Racor filter. Engine stopped running

Great to hear. Fair winds!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 06:46   #17

Need info on the 12volt pump to bleed the air from the Racor dual filter.

This pump worke with an on / off switch.

Can anyone tell me what i need ?
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:38   #18

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Mine is set up to run when the key is 'on'. It is just an inline fuel pump. I just break open the bleeder on the engine mounted bleeder or remove the cover of the filter, turn the battery switch to on (while the key is turned on) to activate the pump to fill the filter. then switch the battery switch to off to shut off the power to the pump once it is bled.

If your battery switch is not located near the engine/bleeder/filter, you could mount a switch that is more easily accessed near the engine/bleeder(s)

Just need a 12v pump, connectors, and wiring to a 12v switched source. Mine is actually an automotive pump. Not marine grade, but if it fails, the mechanical engine pump still works, so it wont leave you stranded.

Many frown upon an electric pump as it could, unintentionally, pump fuel into the bilge if there is a leak somewhere, where the engine mounted pump would suck air and stop running all together. You could just use the pump as a bleeding pump on its own switch and let the engine mounted pump do the work when it is running, and leave the electric pump off once it is primed, if that is a concern.

But install (mine was done by the previous owner) looks quite simple - cut the existing fuel line, install proper fuel line fittings, install the pump, wire to 12v switched power and ground. done. what pump? I have no idea. I would error on lower pressure than higher, as you just need it to bleed. I would contact a boat yard or professional installer for the best practice to splice new fittings on your existing fuel lines (or have them make them up for you - shouldn't be expensive).
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 07:44   #19

On the topic of the electric pump inline of pumping fuel unintentionally into the bilge if there is a hole in the hose....

I am SO GLAD the electric pump was there, as my engine was sucking air at very slow rate, however, it was able to help us limp along through wood's hole (which has VERY strong currents - up to 5 knts ). we would have been dead in the water if we didn't have an electric pump inline, as the engine would have just stopped running once it sucked enough air. The electric pump was able to keep enough fuel in the engine to keep us limping along. gave plenty of warning that something was wrong (low power, sputtering, etc) before it stopped running all together.
Old 15-09-2013, 08:09   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

I fill by hand - lock the suction side at the tank, fill the filters from the top, close the filters, open the suction side tap. I inspect after I run the engine and fill up as necessary but I found small amt of air at the top does not hurt.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:59   #21

The racors can take a surprising amount of air before it is a problem (see my pics earlier on). still I prefer to get all the air out, just the same.

Tags
engine, paracelle, racor