Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which motor would you buy?
9.9 Evinrude 2-stroke mid-80s for $650 20 66.67%
Honda B100L 4-stroke mid 80-s for $850 1 3.33%
Get in debt and buy a brand new Tohatsu 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2010, 10:19   #1

Boat: Buccaneer 240
9.9hp Outboard Dilemma

My new-to-me boat came with no motor (takes a 9.9 outboard), as such i went on the forums and looked over all outboard debates i could find. I see that the opinions are widely split, so instead of asking which one is the best, i'd like to post a few options and ask which one you'd buy (or, the best DEAL)

a) 9.9 evinrude 2-stroke mid-80s looks clean claimed to be fresh-water only $650

b) honda b100l 4-stroke mid-80s looks clean but more used claimed to have new impeller, all oils, plugs, fresh water only $850

c) or should i get in debt and buy a new motor? if so i'd probably go for a tohatsu.
happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 10:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
the mid 80's John-Rude is probably one of the most durable 2 strokes ever made!

That said..... a lot depends on how good of a wrench you (or your S/O) are. If you can't fix a recoil or clean out a carb while floating about, go for new!
Old 14-12-2010, 10:56   #3

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah
Just checking - are both of those motors long shaft? Make sure, or you'll suffer no end of difficulties in even moderately choppy water.

We just sold our 24' Swiftsure. It wasn't "rated" for anything; I don't think most sailboats are. Do watch the weight you put on the back of a small sailboat. We upgraded from an 8 Mercury to a 9.9 Johnson-Evinrude (both 2 strokes) and went back to the 8 as that extra 20 lbs was just enough that her butt was always squatting in the water and plowing, slowing our speed down. If your 24' is anything like our 24', I wouldn't even consider putting a 4 stroke on; They're HEAVY!

Hmm... btw, we still have both motors from when we sold the boat if you're interested.
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 11:19   #4

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
I am partial to the Evinrude, ours was listed as scrap when it came with the boat. It was only a broken wire in the kill switch. We are going on our fourth season with it next year. That being said, there have been issues with it but overall it is an extremely easy motor to fix....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 11:37   #5

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper View Post
My new-to-me boat came with no motor (takes a 9.9 outboard), as such i went on the forums and looked over all outboard debates i could find. I see that the opinions are widely split, so instead of asking which one is the best, i'd like to post a few options and ask which one you'd buy (or, the best DEAL)

a) 9.9 evinrude 2-stroke mid-80s looks clean claimed to be fresh-water only $650

b) honda b100l 4-stroke mid-80s looks clean but more used claimed to have new impeller, all oils, plugs, fresh water only $850

c) or should i get in debt and buy a new motor? if so i'd probably go for a tohatsu.
Mine came with a 1975 9.9 Evinrude and aside from the usual plug change lower unit oil change every year it still runs like a champ. If the Evinrude is indeed a fresh water engine and runs ok I wouldn't hesitate to take a chance on it. Like others have said they tend to be bullet proof if properly cared for. The Hondas I have serviced for customers are good but find most owners neglect to have the valve lash checked on a regular basis. They start well and idle better than a typical two stroke but they weigh more than a two stroke.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 16:26   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I had no idea they were that expensive.

The E I guess.

Maybe find a 6 or 8 somewhere? Should work fine.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 16:45   #7

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Johnnyrude. They are not killable.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 16:52   #8

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
I've got a 1975 9.9 Johnnrude............just as darn tough as an old Sherman tank. Change plugs & lower unit oil - winterize - rember I am in northern MN - starts right off. Other than a pull starter cord replacement 2 years ago...nothing else done to it. Hands down bulletproof!
Old 21-01-2011, 08:09   #9

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage
PJSSAILOR

Two of the problems I find with outboard power compared to Inboard are
1. Attention to prop sizing. Most stock outboard props are set up for planning hulls not displacement hulls. Some MFGs don't even have suitable sailboat props in their inventory. Typically the stock prop needs to be replaced with a larger diameter. shallower pitch. This typically does not mean much on a typical outing but if you ever get caught in a storm or try to back down with a strong wind on your stern, I sure would want the best prop I could get for my boat. The prop needs to be sized to both the motor and the boat. Your dinghy can really use a different prop than you sailboat - with the some motor.
2. Exhaust porting. running the exhaust through the prop is typidcally fine for the dindy or a faster boat. But trying to stop a 5000 lb boat in a slip may need all the power youcan get. YOur motor ought to automatically lock down when you shift into reverse and not exhaust through the prop then. All that exhaust just feeds air to the prop then. Also trying to back off the bottom with a motor set up for a planning hull is pretty futile.

Bottom line - I want my outboard to be as good a defence against minor or worse disasters as I can get. Large diameter and blade surfaces, low pitch, no exhaust air and locked down in reverse. Electric start, power tilt and remote throttle/shift would be comforting too.

Cheers
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 08:36   #10

Boat: Vagabond 42
Me too.
I have a 76 Johnson 9.9 long shaft. Great little outboard. Boaught it off ebay. Was packaged incorrectly and got beat up bad in transit: broken motor mount, carb bowl, and shift lever, bent prop. Tore it apart and fixed the in transit damage - still haven't changed the plugs, and it runs great. It does sit heavy on my Captiva 240 - a lighter boat than yours I believe. I had a Johnson 6 that got snatched off the back of her by a wave and donated to St. Andrews Bay. It was a great little motor also. I chose to go a little bigger because the 6 didn't have enough power to make progress against, wind, waves, and current at times.

Replacement parts are available online (even as old as mine is I could find all but a couple). If anyone is interested, an exellent source of repair, maintenance, and other info on these outboards is:

OMC 9.9 - 15hp

Good Luck
Old 21-01-2011, 09:02   #11

Boat: Catalina 36 - S/V Wind Ensemble
I have a 1985 'rude 9.9, long shaft on my Hunter 25. Have owned it for 3 years and the only thing I've had to do to it is rebuild the carb. Been happy with it.
WindEnsemble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 09:56   #12

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
GEEZ, I just read most of this thread and I am stumped!

An anyone explain what a John/Rude- johnnyrude outboard is??? I never heard the term before.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 10:13   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
GEEZ, I just read most of this thread and I am stumped!

An anyone explain what a John/Rude- johnnyrude outboard is??? I never heard the term before.

Foggy
Johnson and Evinrude are the same company...made in the same plants I think. I had never heard the term either.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 11:02   #14

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Two stroke engines have fewer parts, are a bit lighter, and require less maintenance. I voted for that one.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 12:15   #15

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I still wouldn't pay 1/2 price for a 25+ year old outboard motor of unknown condition, no matter what the previous owner says.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard