Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2015, 11:17   #31

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Would you go for this 65 footer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Which Sporting... Lisboa.. Braga.. or one of the other two..
We don't call the Sporting de Braga Sporting, just Braga. When we talk about Sporting is always the one from Lisbon, 3th on the championship now but without any possibility to catch Benfica or Porto that will decide the title.

By the way in 45 minutes Porto will be playing against Bayern for the Champions league quarter-final.

It would be funny if Porto a team that has a costs 10 times inferior would manage to eliminate Bayern of Munich. It would not be the first time in the story of both clubs. Porto (the city) is full of Germans that say that Munich will win for 5-0. We will see.

Sorry for the thread drift.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 11:29   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Would you go for this 65 footer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
We don't call the Sporting de Braga Sporting, just Braga. When we talk about Sporting is always the one from Lisbon, 3th on the championship now but without any possibility to catch Benfica or Porto that will decide the title.

By the way in 45 minutes Porto will be playing against Bayern for the Champions league quarter-final.

It would be funny if Porto a team that has a costs 10 times inferior would manage to eliminate Bayern of Munich. It would not be the first time in the story of both clubs. Porto (the city) is full of Germans that say that Munich will win for 5-0. We will see.

Sorry for the thread drift.
No drift..
Only one team worth supporting in Iberica...

Barcelona....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 11:48   #33

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
No drift..

Barcelona....
Humm, with Real Madrid winning the Spanish championship?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 11:49   #34

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The cost estimates for maintenance and upkeep on this forum for larger boats are so out of line with reality. Our boat had an original cost of over 1.4 million, so according to the experts on this forum, my annual cost should be around $140,000 USD.

Well, I must be doing something right because.... we cruise 5 months of the year in the Med (Sardinia and Corsica this year) and pay less than $16,000 for everything, fuel, haul out and storage in a first class yard, Pantaneus insurance, food, upgrades etc. This year we even added a Bamar furing system for the spinnaker and a second spectra watermaker, which are both included in the $16,000.

I really don't know where you guys come up with your silly numbers.
The numbers are not silly at all when you factor in paid crew. There is no way a couple could crew a 67ft cat.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 12:22   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The numbers are not silly at all when you factor in paid crew. There is no way a couple could crew a 67ft cat.
Just because you can't do something... that doesn't mean that it can't be done by other capable couples. But I'll pass on your concerns to the couples we know who are out doing the impossible on large catamarans.

Besides.... if they want to hire a deckhand, one can usually be hired for little more than room and board.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 12:31   #36

Boat: Able 50

Name one cat of 67ft that is crewed by a couple - capable or otherwise.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 19:43   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Here's a 65 footer owned by the folks who publish Latitude 38 that most people on this forum have known about for years. I can provide more if you like, but hey.... why don't you do your own homework?

Old 15-04-2015, 20:13   #38

Boat: Island Packet 445

IMHO, it still looks like the inside of an IKEA with all that blonde "wood". Personally, I'm not a fan of the European look. I like real wood, well polished - but only interior where its not so much work. At risk of insulting others i wouldn't consider a Benateau, Dufour or Hanse either. Not in this class but similar "ugly" and cold interiors.
luciarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 20:15   #39

Quote:
The cost estimates for maintenance and upkeep on this forum for larger boats are so out of line with reality. Our boat had an original cost of over 1.4 million, so according to the experts on this forum, my annual cost should be around $140,000 USD.

Well, I must be doing something right because.... we cruise 5 months of the year in the Med (Sardinia and Corsica this year) and pay less than $16,000 for everything, fuel, haul out and storage in a first class yard, Pantaneus insurance, food, upgrades etc. This year we even added a Bamar furing system for the spinnaker and a second spectra watermaker, which are both included in the $16,000.

I really don't know where you guys come up with your silly numbers.
What year is your boat? That calculation isn't supposed to be based on the original cost of the boat, but what you paid. Also, it's just a rough estimate. To arrive at it, you'd also have to include any refits/upgrades you've done, and average it out.

If 10% is too high, what would you imagine a rough calculation of annual costs, upkeep and maintenance to be?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 20:23   #40

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

This is a joke.. most people on this site get all in a up roar for those cruising on more than 500. He's trolling for responses duh..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 20:25   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
What year is your boat? That calculation isn't supposed to be based on the original cost of the boat, but what you paid. Also, it's just a rough estimate. To arrive at it, you'd also have to include any refits/upgrades you've done, and average it out.

If 10% is too high, what would you imagine a rough calculation of annual costs, upkeep and maintenance to be?
Three to four percent on boats over 750k.

Or, ten to fifteen percent if the boat is under 100k, and more if it's in crappy condition.
Old 15-04-2015, 20:28   #42

Quote:
Three to four percent on boats over 750k.

Or, ten to fifteen percent if the boat is under 100k, and more if it's in crappy condition.

So... Somewhere between 4% and 10%. Seems reasonable enough to me.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 20:34   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
So... Somewhere between 4% and 10%. Seems reasonable enough to me.
The boat in question on this thread is priced at 1.5 million, so my estimate is 3-4 percent. If the boat was priced under 100k, then it would be 10-15 percent. 10% would be way out of line.
Old 15-04-2015, 21:38   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Two more that I know of personally. Last summer in Menorca we anchored for two days next to a Swiss couple on a Sunreef 72. Last August, I anchored for three days next to another couple on a Sunreef 72 power cat. They even managed just fine when their anchor dragged. Too small an anchor for the boat if you ask me.

Just because YOU haven't seen someone do what you think is impossible, doesn't mean that it can't be done. Many hundreds of couples sailing on humongous catamarans here in the Med.
Old 15-04-2015, 22:52   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Would you go for this 65 footer?

Quote:
No drift..

Barcelona....
Aww.. Come on Polux
gotta let someone else win occasionally.. even the All Blacks let the Aussies win once in a while.. its called Sportsmanship.
As for couples handling big boats in the Med.. Easy peasy.. Its flat calm 90% of the time April to August.. don't see it much in the Atlantic though.. they stick to the geriatrics playground..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote