Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2017, 18:07   #1

Would you consider Tasman C35 a suitable ocean cruiser?

Dear forum. I am an enthousiam novice who is looking to buy a live aboard catamaran. For the next 3-4 years, I will mainly stay in marina and do little coaster cruising but once work is over, I want to explore the Pacific & Asia Region.

I am looking for production yacht younger than 2000. My budget is limited @$200k so I cannot get too excited on quality of what is currently available on the market.

I have a couple of «*must have*» in my bucket list, one be small enough to singlehand, the second is to have a decent living space with view, I do not mean big here, as I am planning to cruise with a friend or with a couple at max, but I would like a kitchen and saloon together or if kitchen is lower deck, then have a bit of view from there or not feeling like you are in a «*basement*».

My preferred model so far would be the Tasman C35, which will tick all the coastal/marina boxes, but I am a bit worry about her off shore performance. Second in line in my wish list will be the Maxim 380 and the Lightwave 35 & 38.

So now, I am asking this forum if anyone has a bit of experience about sailing a C35 in blue water or doing open passage. Thanks in avance for sharing.
Crazy Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 19:16   #2

Re: Would you consider Tasman C35 a suitable ocean cruiser?

The Tasman 35 has bridge deck clearance issues. Not great for choppy coastal work, let alone ocean.

From the models you have shortlisted, the Lightwave 38 would be my pick by a large margin. Be careful not to overload it.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 05:24   #3

No experience with a Tasman 35, and it does look like low clearance, then again that will not stop it crossing oceans and circumnavigating as have plenty of low clearance cats such as Prouts, early model Leopards (in fact a lot of earlier South African cats). A Gemini has even crossed the Atlantic through some pretty foul weather - it just depends on your budget and live aboard plans as 90% of of the 365 days is anchoring or day sailing. Of the cats you have listed, if all else is roughly equal I would go for the longer water line.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 05:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
The Tasman 35 has bridge deck clearance issues. Not great for choppy coastal work, let alone ocean.

From the models you have shortlisted, the Lightwave 38 would be my pick by a large margin. Be careful not to overload it.
Second that - the 35/38 Lightwave is a well built grainger design. I would take the Lightwave well before the Tasman or Maxim
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 17:08   #5

On second thoughts. if you are actually going to live on it for a couple of years before heading out then go for the max comfort in 38 ft on a well proven cruiser the Lagoon 380.
Old 17-12-2017, 17:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

And I would take the Lightwave well before the Lagoon 380
Old 17-12-2017, 20:14   #7

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I just want to say "low bridgedeck clearance". That has to really suck going to windward.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 21:17   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

I have surveyed two Tasman 35 cats and the build quality seems ok. As for bridgedeck clearance there are a lot of cats with less clearance than the T35.
One T35 is in Asia so at least one has done an offshore voyage.
Keep an eye out for engine size, some we're underpowered when built.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 04:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

I am aware of at least two C35s that had major bridgedeck delamination. So it wasnt a one off issue.
Old 18-12-2017, 13:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
No experience with a Tasman 35, and it does look like low clearance, then again that will not stop it crossing oceans and circumnavigating as have plenty of low clearance cats such as Prouts, early model Leopards (in fact a lot of earlier South African cats). A Gemini has even crossed the Atlantic through some pretty foul weather - it just depends on your budget and live aboard plans as 90% of of the 365 days is anchoring or day sailing. Of the cats you have listed, if all else is roughly equal I would go for the longer water line.
Thanks Bean counter. Stupid question, why would you go for a longer water line? Stability? Bigger boat? Other benefit? Thanks in advance
Old 18-12-2017, 13:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I am aware of at least two C35s that had major bridgedeck delamination. So it wasnt a one off issue.
The interest for the Tasman is certainly taking a hit now. Thanks for the tips!
Old 18-12-2017, 13:25   #12

I am 5’10*´´ but with big bones.....so your advice are very welcome. The lagoon is nice in deed, but just a bit too far of my price range. Even the Lightwave is a bit strretch but within reach.

I read plenty of blog about happy Maxim 380 , do you have any intel about unhappy owner?
Old 18-12-2017, 14:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Thanks Bean counter. Stupid question, why would you go for a longer water line? Stability? Bigger boat? Other benefit? Thanks in advance
Longer water line, usually faster for same type of boat under sail and motors, less hobby horsing, usually better load capacity, more beam, more space, more cost. Sleeping accommodation also usually improves with length, as does galley arrangement. (3 ft can make a big difference)

Tags
cruise, cruiser