Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 10:21   #16

Re: Would you buy a previously capsized cat?

A friend of mine bought a cal 36 (sistership to my boat) that had sank at the dock for 500 bucks. He pulled the engine out and cleaned it and then stuck it back in and motored 500 miles home.

He then cleaned it up at his home dock and has been sailing her for the past 5 years with no problems. That is a different sort of boat though, with minimal electrical, cushions, etc to replace. The interior is all solid vanished teak or fiberglass, so that helps a lot in the cleanup. It was only under for 24 hours, so the wood was only muddy, it hadn't yet been ruined. The electrical and cushions were all ripped out and replaced in a few days of work.

Now with a more extensive electrical system or plywood interior, it gets much more complicated. The interior plywood could easily be ruined from only a few hours of water exposure. Even in boats that aren't sunk, but merely exposed to 100% humidity for a few months can have ruined plywood interiors. Replacing all the plywood could easily exceed the cost of the boat.

But if you've been looking for a 6 month diy boat interior project and the engine, rig, and hull come to you for free, it would be worth while.

My point is, the hull, topside, and deck are all meant to handle water. It is the interior and engine that varies from boat to boat. It is not an impossible task though in general. I definitely would bid very low, though, both to cover yourself for unexpected costs as well as the fact that you "can."

Also some people have already pointed out the potential hull damage that you should watch out for. This is obviously unrelated to the fact that it was under water, but related to "how" it ended up underwater.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:51   #17

Boat: FP ORANA 44

not enough info here, make, size? recovery effort could have damaged her irreparably, how was she flipped? was she powered home or shipped? was she lifted without spreaders bars? probably if at sea then hulls could be compressed and damaged, can she be sailed right now? if not, dont do it. need to listen for groans and cracking sounds, only way to test hull integrity, it better be priviledge or catana, very high end build, and very cheap, NOT lagoon or FP. or similar, was she totaled by ins co? has she been surveyed? just because rig intact does not mean safe, It will be a very expensive complete refit, entire interior will need replacement you will start from bare hulls. better be worth it, ie a very high end cat then double refit cost in calculation, still cant really get a fixed cost, then time and the refit yard VERY impt, but what do I know, ask Fred at PolyPat St Martin his opinion.
sailorgirl1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:15   #18

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Sure, cats do it all the time. NO. Many ways for it to happen. YEP. With the double access they are so easy to repair. NOT. As a current TV ad says while misusing Dylan Thomas, do not go gently into that tipped over cat. DO NOT. Find something closer to home so your flight money can be used for inspection. PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA. It sounds as if a bad decision messes up your plans, SO RETURN TO DYLAN THOMAS REFERENCE. Good luck. YES.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:30   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl1954 View Post
not enough info here, make, size? recovery effort could have damaged her irreparably, how was she flipped? was she powered home or shipped? was she lifted without spreaders bars? probably if at sea then hulls could be compressed and damaged, can she be sailed right now? if not, dont do it. need to listen for groans and cracking sounds, only way to test hull integrity, it better be priviledge or catana, very high end build, and very cheap, NOT lagoon or FP. or similar, was she totaled by ins co? has she been surveyed? just because rig intact does not mean safe, It will be a very expensive complete refit, entire interior will need replacement you will start from bare hulls. better be worth it, ie a very high end cat then double refit cost in calculation, still cant really get a fixed cost, then time and the refit yard VERY impt, but what do I know, ask Fred at PolyPat St Martin his opinion.

The link on the first post will answer quite a few of your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:47   #20

As a previous EASY owner/builder I would tread VERY carefully here. Firstly the price seems very high for an Easy 37. Secondly, any boat I have built or owned, I have always eventually sold on. This history would definitely put serious concerns into any buyer which must devalue the boat.
As the boat is a long way from where you live, I would avoid the hassles and potential problems associated with this purchase.
Read the comments by other posters here and look elsewhere - simple!
Wait until winter - plenty of other catamarans come onto the market during the winter .... wait for the right boat, that has a better history.
bushytales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:02   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I believe they mean 90 degree's.

QUOTE=belizesailor;2320100]Fell 90' (ninety) feet?[/QUOTE]
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:03   #22

I would NEVER buy one of these under any circumstances
baycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:05   #23
Marine Service Provider

I wouldn´t buy a cat that has capsized, not for the damage for being in the water upside down but because it it capsized once, it can do it again.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:09   #24

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I was close to buying a boat that had been submerged for two days in fresh water. It was "repaired" but the cushions were ruined and would never air out, there was black mold hidden away, the wood had sucked up water and would eventually delaminate badly.

And that's fresh water; salt is a lot worse!

If the engine was running water into a high compression diesel can do bad things.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I'm guessing 90 degrees

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:34   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursoc View Post
Hi everyone, I am in the process of buying a boat. Catamarans are high on the list, but money is a big consideration for us so I am looking at the low end.

I have found a cat that was originally built in 2013 and suffered a capsize in 2014 (mast and rig still intact, but water damage down below), then rebuilt and launched again in 2016. It looks very nice in the photos, but because it is on the other side of the country I can't go and have a look for myself. So before I commit any more time to it I just wanted some opinions.

Here is the boat if anyone wants to have a look, but I am more interested in the issues with a previous capsize, than opinions on this particular model.

Thanks everyone!
The price looks high for whatever my two cents is worth.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 14:17   #27

Is this cat the Easy in this thread?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-125694.html
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 15:40   #28

Boat: Simpson 12

Thanks everyone for your opinions and expertise once again! Given that this would be my first boat and that it's for my family I will be staying away from it. Too many questions that I don't think can be answered.

Thanks everyone.
fursoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 15:49   #29

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Sure, cats do it all the time. NO. Many ways for it to happen. YEP. With the double access they are so easy to repair. NOT. As a current TV ad says while misusing Dylan Thomas, do not go gently into that tipped over cat. DO NOT. Find something closer to home so your flight money can be used for inspection. PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA. It sounds as if a bad decision messes up your plans, SO RETURN TO DYLAN THOMAS REFERENCE. Good luck. YES.
Upon additional consideration, I must modify the opinion rendered previously, as quoted above: It is now a simple and absolute NO, I would not. However, it is your money and you are allowed to part with it as you wish.
Old 06-02-2017, 16:25   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Looks fine to me. Not a fantastic design which I assume you know. Thought prices in cats in oz had dropped a good bit more than this. Especially in this size range.

Tags
capsize, size