Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2013, 20:27   #31

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Re: Why. Used seawind is so much higher price than lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Who cares where they are made as long as the quality is there.

Many many German cars are not built in Germany, dont hear too many commenting on that front.
Cars are mass produced - boats are not. I've never seen quality improved by offshoring. And the only way to maintain quality is to reject an awful lot of product which no boat builder can afford to do. The best you can hope for (which is exceedingly rare) is that quality will be maintained. But, as a consumer, you're taking a huge gamble that a bunch of erstwhile farmers have the ethos required to build a quality product.

I wouldn't buy a Porsche made in Shenzen - only one from Stuttgart. Not because of some prejudice but because I've experienced first-hand the wonders of offshoring production to Asia. Mostly it goes hand in hand with a quality decline.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 02:25   #32
Marine Service Provider

I just bought a new 4x4 that is made in Thailand and I think it's an amazing vehicle and beautifully built. It goes to show that Asia is more than capable of producing a quality product.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 08:42   #33

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

Having just viewed 3 seawinds at the SCIBS, one 1160 was 6 years old, and a live board though you would never know it, and a couple of Lagoons, I have sailed both Seawinds & Lagoons, although not extensively....the answers' obvious.
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 00:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
Having just viewed 3 seawinds at the SCIBS, one 1160 was 6 years old, and a live board though you would never know it, and a couple of Lagoons, I have sailed both Seawinds & Lagoons, although not extensively....the answers' obvious.
Aye Glenn, the 6 year old Seawind 1160 was in great shape and a credit to the brand and to the owner. Not however, a live aboard, just short trips for coastal cruising. At least that's what the owner told me.

So, are you the new owner? The asking price for the second hand Seawind (A$450k) is relevant to the thread.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 01:55   #35

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
That 6 year old seawind was like brand new and a great recomendation for the build quality.

Looking over the Vietnam built 1000xl at SCRIBS quality is at least equal to locally built vessels. Seems from the factory photos in recent magazine articles using key Australian staff and local foremen they have the right balance for a good factory moral and pride of building.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 19:58   #36

Unfortunately not. I did get some great advice from this forum ages ago, about checking out older models of a boat you are interested in to see how they stand up over time.

My comments re 'obvious' are in the context of both boats targetting different markets and uses, so one would expect they would play to strengths of the market segment they are chasing......which would lead to different prices and features....
Old 26-05-2013, 20:42   #37

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

I also spent a bit of time on the 2006 Seawind 1160 at Sanctuary Cove. It felt like a newer boat than many of the new boats at the show! It has been insanely well looked after. I agree that it must say something about the quality of the vessel as well as the owner... the 1250 right next to it for example was more 'weathered'.

Goes to show how you can keep a boat if you really try.

The Seawind is just a really nicely designed boat. Its a better sailing boat, and there are many many little things that just scream "design".
The Seawind is a BMW, the Lagoon is a Holden. Unfortunately, my budget will only get me a Toyota.
Old 27-05-2013, 00:49   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
I also spent a bit of time on the 2006 Seawind 1160 at Sanctuary Cove. It felt like a newer boat than many of the new boats at the show! It has been insanely well looked after.

The Seawind is a BMW, the Lagoon is a Holden. Unfortunately, my budget will only get me a Toyota.
My father-in-law had a "better than new" 40 year old EH Holden car. He thought it was worth more than the current new Commodore. He could point out all the features and proudly say "They don't make em like that anymore!"
Trouble was, at sale time, no one would pay him what he thought it was worth.

The Seawind 1160 is a well constructed boat, but is it like Pop's EH Holden ('60s Chevy for our US friends)?

If they sell, they must be worth the price. The "market" is always right, isn't it?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 07:59   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
I also spent a bit of time on the 2006 Seawind 1160 at Sanctuary Cove. It felt like a newer boat than many of the new boats at the show! It has been insanely well looked after. I agree that it must say something about the quality of the vessel as well as the owner... the 1250 right next to it for example was more 'weathered'.

The Seawind is just a really nicely designed boat. Its a better sailing boat, and there are many many little things that just scream "design".
Gee whiz not that AGAIN, the original posts were " caned " for the same reason than what is happening here , GIVE IT A REST fellows , this is getting NOWHERE.
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 03:24   #40

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post

Gee whiz not that AGAIN, the original posts were " caned " for the same reason than what is happening here , GIVE IT A REST fellows , this is getting NOWHERE.
Maybe some one has a Seawind for sale???

I think its called a type of insider trading in the sharemarket?
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 04:46   #41

Smile Re: Why. Used seawind is so much higher price than lagoon

Quote:

I love this thread and the one before it....more fun than the joke thread
Old 28-05-2013, 07:22   #42

The potential problem with posts like this is that they can encourage retaliatory type ones with titles like:

"Why are Seawinds so overpriced?"

or

"Can you still get factory maintenance (in Vietnam) for an older Seawind?"

or

"Why did Seawind almost go bankrupt?"

or

"Seawind is a totally different company now..."

or

"Is buying an older Seawind like buying an older Saab?"

That's just to name a few.
Old 28-05-2013, 11:01   #43
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtopper View Post
The potential problem with posts like this is that they can encourage retaliatory type ones with titles like:

"Why are Seawinds so overpriced?"

or

"Can you still get factory maintenance (in Vietnam) for an older Seawind?"

or

"Why did Seawind almost go bankrupt?"

or

"Seawind is a totally different company now..."

or

"Is buying an older Seawind like buying an older Saab?"

That's just to name a few.
Gee..... Now that was a worthwhile post!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 11:58   #44

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007

Huh? I'm terribly confused. Apart from trying to close a thread by continuing it, I have no understanding of what is happening here!?
I thought my contribution was both positive and constructive. Anyone wanna fill me in?

Bewildered.

edit: maybe it has nothing to do with me... i notice a lot of people go crazy on the quoting around these parts.
Old 28-05-2013, 12:28   #45

Boat: Seawind 1160 #50, 41 feet

Folks, this is not a forum for disagreement or repeating of past discussions. Only non-controversial topics should be discuss. Keep in mind threads with "mean" comments will be closed.

Oh and for my perspective:
Seawind 1160 design = awesome
Seawind 1160 prices != awesome
Chances of selling your Seawind 1160 = not awesome
Strikhedonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seawind, price, lagoon