Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 13:51   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
This whole thread is a circular argument. Some boats make it and some don't, when the **** hits the fan I think luck has as much to do with it as anything else, regardless of the number of hulls.

I think you could very well be right.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 13:59   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Thanks for your input. Of course if you could have produced one shred of evidence to back up your claims there might have been far less opposition to them.

I think we'd all like to see balanced views from experienced multihull owners.

Do you own a multihull? Ever even sailed on one?
This really is getting circular . The answers/responses to those questions are in my earlier posts - it could appear that you have not read them.

In particular read my first post (the one with the ferry photo, I believe) because that sets out all that I have claimed. Seems pretty innocuous to me - am surprised so many have wet their knickers over it by reading it as some crusade against cats.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 14:09   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
This really is getting circular . The answers/responses to those questions are in my earlier posts - it could appear that you have not read them.
Possibly, like you I was interested in hearing from multihull owners. And even though you aren't one, you did post an awful lot of times. And given that there was nothing factual or informative in any of those posts...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 14:48   #139
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Final warning. Keep your posts on topic. Do you remember the topic?

These were the questions posed by the OP:

"Was just wanting to hear some first hand accounts of those who have presumably survived a heavy storm on a Crusing CAT +35'... If you can contrast the difference in the experience between a monohaul and a CAT that would be great...

I was also wondering if a Sea Anchor works on a CAT, do you have to position it midship? Would a Sea Anchor positioned aft and stern prevent a capsizing?"

If there's no more new information to add, let's all move on.
Old 06-05-2008, 14:57   #140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Jesus folks! How hard is it to either answer the original post or not answer it? I didn't see an invitation to fight over which is better or safer in the thread title, did you?
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 15:14   #141

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Jesus folks! How hard is it to either answer the original post or not answer it? I didn't see an invitation to fight over which is better or safer in the thread title, did you?
But some numb nut always has to start one

I used a parachute once for a half a day and night in winds increasing to about 50kn.

It was like being at anchor at in a less than favourable anchorage, all in all, fairly comfortable, nice meal, well rested.

Highly recomended tactic on that day

Dave
Old 06-05-2008, 15:25   #142

I understand your point Hud3.

Maybe with the refreshing of the original poster's query I could clarify the content of the video I referred to a little, a reference I made due to the lack of first hand experiences available.

Apart from quite alot of video showing the cat in heavy seas and weather it also does talk a little about the methods used to slow the cat in heavy weather as was asked for. That though in terms suitable for a broad audience so not in detail.

I refrain from mentioning what those methods were as I do not wish to precipitate further angst, I am out of here .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 19:18   #143

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24
I think at least in Australia cats are represented pretty well in rescue situations as the're often the choice of rescue vessel of water police, maritime board & volantere rescue organisations here. I have experinced some heavy conditions on a Beach marine 10 meter cat, whilst out there I estimated around 45-50 knots, not great fun with heaps of spindrift that hit like gravel, on making port I found out that a nearby lighthouse saw gusts of over 70 but elevated position, maybe we had it too, we ran under bare poles & averaged around 7 knots port to port, the wave size was not great as the wind was of the land. Regards from Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:06   #144

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Parachute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
But some numb nut always has to start one

I used a parachute once for a half a day and night in winds increasing to about 50kn.

It was like being at anchor at in a less than favourable anchorage, all in all, fairly comfortable, nice meal, well rested.

Highly recomended tactic on that day

Dave
Dave

Out of interest, what make parachute did you use?
I have still yet to decide what to buy, either the Australian Para-Anchor or the NZ Coppins, both quite expensive. I will hopefully never have to use it but I feel it is worth the money if you do get caught in the middle of a big one.
Thanks also to Maxingout who's web info has been useful. I will be having the bow parachute connection plates fitted to my boat in a couple of months.
Thanks
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:21   #145
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
Dave

I have still yet to decide what to buy, either the Australian Para-Anchor or the NZ Coppins, both quite expensive. I will hopefully never have to use it but I feel it is worth the money if you do get caught in the middle of a big one.
Thanks also to Maxingout who's web info has been useful. I will be having the bow parachute connection plates fitted to my boat in a couple of months.
Thanks
Adaero
Hallo Andy

do yourself a favor and get a Jordan series drogue as we install standard
Take the unit for 18000 LBS design weight and you are off and away.
A cost of around 1800 usd shipped to South Africa
I have worked with them and there is nothing better , verly limited chocks on the boat and ease of getting back in.
For a normal anchor get a Rocna 33 Kilo , the best on the market

Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:28   #146
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
weather catamaran

Have done the north/south to carib trip 6 times in 45' leopard. When we get 40-65knts we either run with reefed main, just the genny, no sail 1 or 2 engines going into or with it. The boats are unbelievably stable you can just sit there in 60knts and ride like a seagull. The beating occurs when you try to go forward. The gulf stream was uncomfortable because of confused seas but you can ussually find a good quarter to put the wind on, do not dawdle in the gulfstream pass thru quickly. The boats are alot tougher than than we are.
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:11   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Andy

do yourself a favor and get a Jordan series drogue as we install standard
Take the unit for 18000 LBS design weight and you are off and away.
A cost of around 1800 usd shipped to South Africa
I have worked with them and there is nothing better , verly limited chocks on the boat and ease of getting back in.
For a normal anchor get a Rocna 33 Kilo , the best on the market

Greetings

Gideon
Series drogue not much good if on or near a lee shore or parking for rest or repairs, whereas a parachute will pretty much park you in one spot.

We drifted in a 3/4 nm circle over 20 hours abot 10 nm off the bottom of Bellona Banks / Chesterfield reef

Google Maps

Dave
Old 10-05-2008, 07:15   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
Dave

Adaero
10m one from para-anchors Australia.

Sea Surface Anchors. Para-Anchors Australia Pty. Ltd.

A truly amazing and beautifully made peice of kit.

Dave
Old 12-05-2008, 03:15   #149
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Series drogue not much good if on or near a lee shore or parking for rest or repairs, whereas a parachute will pretty much park you in one spot.

We drifted in a 3/4 nm circle over 20 hours abot 10 nm off the bottom of Bellona Banks / Chesterfield reef

Google Maps

Dave
Besides the Jordan Series drogue we also include a Parachute anchor with 5 meter diameter for the close shore operation

Greetings
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 04:55   #150

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Parachute

I was settled in my mind of deploying a parachute from the bow as so many of you have recommended. I have read Maxingout's accounts and really like his idea for the bow attachment plates. That was until I just received an email from the guy who owns a yacht delivery company in Cape Town. His reply was: -

I did not realise you wanted to deploy a sea anchor off the bow.
We have been delivering multihulls for the last fifteen years and very quickly learnt that sea anchors/parachutes deployed off the bow of a multihull are not effective.
There is to much windage so the boat has a tendency to lie side on which is very dangerous and needless to say uncomfortable.
What I learnt from the French multihull racers is to deploy a sea anchor off the stern. I have done this on numerous occasions, once on a tiny 35 ft cat in a full force gale.
The method we use and what all my skippers use - deploy the anchor warp between the two hulls creating a very big loop. Attache the secondary anchor around the warp and let it drift to the centre of the loop. This acts as a brake and keeps the warp submerged.
Run with the swell, your boat speed will be 1-1.5 knots and very comfortable, boat will keep course with the autopilot on. I had one client who completed his circumnavigation last year on a leopard 47.
He insisted on purchasing a fancy parachute anchor and was insistent that he would deploy it off the bow just as he had done on his monohull.
He tried it once in a gale in the indian ocean, it was an absolute disaster, he had to cut the line because the boat lay side on the swell causing a vicious rolling motion.

So what do the rest of you recon?
Confused
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rode