Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 03:03   #16

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Which to buy: Newer ex-charter or older private owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

I hate to report but my boat is dam heavy. I don't know what FP says it should weigh but ck the Carving and Marking plate
Palarran,

The "registered tonnage" that has been "carved" in your boat when it was registered is (loosely speaking) is not a measure of the boats displacement/weight. It is a rough estimate of internal volume of the boat, both above water and below water. It is measured in tons instead of cubic feet or cubic meters because the historical purpose of this was to estimate the weight of goods that could be carried assuming a certain specific weight (historically 100 cubic feet per ton if I recall correctly). Different countries have different formulas but the spirit is the same, to measure internal volume (proxy for weight of goods that could fit inside) and not weight of the boat.

Bottom line in relation with this thread is that boats that are more lightly built will have more tons of "registered tonnage" (ie internal volume) for each ton of "displacement" (ie weight) and vice versa.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:05   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Don't disagree with your comments on vessels. This is the of the new generation vessels I am looking at. 2010 design.
Spent an hour with Nathan looking over that boat the other day. A very interesting design with a lot of very sensible ideas.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:21   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

Quote:
Down under,
I still think, for the buck, the FP Bahia is the best boat out there. It it wasn't for us having 8 to 10 people on board consistently I'd be a proud owner of one. Having sailed one cat with poor bridge deck clearance, make sure what you get is high and without protrusions. I'd take a R&C 46 (not a 47 though) also. No Lagoon's, Catana's, or Outreamer's are in my future. Now, the Voyage 50, that's a nice boat. And the St. Francis 50 - top of the list.
We close on an 05 Bahia tomorrow. We've looked at very literally every available production model from the last 10 years (38-55') and for us, it's perfect. Plenty of room, lots of custom opportunity and great handling.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:09   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Thanks Sand Crab. It's less then 3 months away. After waiting so long it seems like next week.

I hate to report but my boat is dam heavy. I don't know what FP says it should weigh but ck the Carving and Marking plate
They have you at 13,000 kg. Must be filled with helium.
Marquises 56 luxury catamaran: uncompromised cruising comfort
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47   #20
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Palarran,

The "registered tonnage" that has been "carved" in your boat when it was registered is (loosely speaking) is not a measure of the boats displacement/weight. It is a rough estimate of internal volume of the boat, both above water and below water. It is measured in tons instead of cubic feet or cubic meters because the historical purpose of this was to estimate the weight of goods that could be carried assuming a certain specific weight (historically 100 cubic feet per ton if I recall correctly). Different countries have different formulas but the spirit is the same, to measure internal volume (proxy for weight of goods that could fit inside) and not weight of the boat.

Bottom line in relation with this thread is that boats that are more lightly built will have more tons of "registered tonnage" (ie internal volume) for each ton of "displacement" (ie weight) and vice versa.
That is very funny for me. Thank you so much for clarifying it. I honestly couldn't understand how the boat could be that heavy. Beureau Veritas did the weights and measure and I thought that was it. The previous owner had a lot of extra's installed on it so I figured that maybe 5000 lbs over the manufacturer's rating. Then when I would compare, it is like twice as much. Now I get it. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:50   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelen View Post
We close on an 05 Bahia tomorrow. We've looked at very literally every available production model from the last 10 years (38-55') and for us, it's perfect. Plenty of room, lots of custom opportunity and great handling.
Congratulations. Where did you buy it? I do agree with being able to customize the Bahia. I like the little midship berths. A long time ago I had a list of what I would do to customize a Bahia for cruising vs. charter. At the price point, you can spend a pretty good buck on extras and still be whole in the end.
David.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:53   #22

Downunder,
That boat looks great. I've never seen a built in stern anchor. The bracing ridge down the center may cause some drag but should be very good for clearance. It looks super solid. Where's the mast?
Old 03-02-2012, 18:55   #23

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Downunder,
That boat looks great. I've never seen a built in stern anchor. The bracing ridge down the center may cause some drag but should be very good for clearance. It looks super solid. Where's the mast?
Mast was to be fitted yesterday, but sent wrong parts although correct order so will be delayed 2 weeks. Mast being centrally located has no spreaders and all composite chainplates. Don't think the wave breaker is an issue as some of the fastest racing crowther's had center pods and it is structural to support the mid mounted mast and a drop for stern anchor chain. All heavy weight certrally located.

Quote Factor " Spent an hour with Nathan looking over that boat the other day. A very interesting design with a lot of very sensible ideas. "

Wondered how long it would take for you to visit. I spent 2 hours aboad in middle of a hot sunny day in January and the airflow through the vessel was fantastic. I could not believe how cool it was. Apart from my dislike of this particular internal fitout I can't think of any changes I would make vessel wise. Water capture from both saloon and cockpit canopy, best shade potection I have seen. Can't wait to see how well she sails. If anything like she motors will be exceptional.

By the way I am chartering a WRAY Seawind 1000 in Whitsundays in March to start my sailing learning curve.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02   #24

Re: Which to Buy - Newer ex-Charter or Older Private Owner ?

Congrats on your purchase. I'd love to know more about why you chose your boat and what you considered.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
My suggestion would be to narrow in on the particular cat or type of cat you want, and then compare ex-charter vs. private owner. It matters more that you get the right boat for you, and then choose the best/most affordable version of that boat that fits your budget.

Second that suggestion
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote