Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 01:05   #16

Re: TS42 Catamaran designed by Christophe Barreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
If you really carry less than 1.900 kg as a full time live aboard, you really are an exception. Where are yr diving gears, genset, A/C, BBQ, LPG bottles, fishing gear, spare alternator/start engine, filters, oil, extra fuel for long passage, very long chain and heaviest possible anchor, secondary anchor, solar panels, wind generator, large bank of service batteries, plenty of rope/lines, tool box, etc ? These are common staff I see on most of the live aboard boats. Breadmaker or toaster doesn't really weight much..
With hulls 12,5:1 , you will certainly be fast, no doubt. But when you say that you have a 3 full queen size bed, either yr understanding of "full queen size" is different than mine (or generally accepted standards) or yr boat is at least 65 ft or more..
(Queen bed size in US standards is 80"X60", 60"X12,5=19 meter if the beds are installed at the largest part of the hull ???)

Just by curiosity, what boat are you sailing ?

Cheers

Yeloya
Seriously, how many cat's do you know of that have the beds at the waterline? Ours are at bridgedeck level, and in fact are BIGGER than queen beds - standard width, but longer. I'm tall.

We carry most of that stuff, except a few bits we really don't need.

The boat is an Oram 44C, we cruise at around 6-6.5 tonnes.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:57   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Seriously, how many cat's do you know of that have the beds at the waterline? Ours are at bridgedeck level, and in fact are BIGGER than queen beds - standard width, but longer. I'm tall.

We carry most of that stuff, except a few bits we really don't need.

The boat is an Oram 44C, we cruise at around 6-6.5 tonnes.
The boats like FP, Lagoon, etc with "U" shaped and relatively larger hulls have the beds slightly above the water level and very good load carrying ability, but they have other problems..
As opposed to yours , they are slow, particularly in light winds..

I can climb a couple of steps for the sake of better performance, but I don't like the beds under the bridge; just a personal opinion.. Oram's are otherwise very good boats,if you can keep them light..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 13:22   #18

You see very very few Cats that look half asset nice to the eye, this is one of them.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 10:15   #19

The TS 42 looks very nice, but really no room inside.
In my Catathai 43 (only 5 tons light!) there is 3 real queen bed, and if she's not as fast as the TS 42, she runs 8kts at reaching with 5 kts of wind...
Does the TS42 really runs 10kts at 45° of true wind with 25kts of wind? almost 30° off apparent wind with the waves expected ? hard to believe! Almost the performance of a trimaran ORMA 60ft that cost more than 2 million €uros...
piou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:48   #20

Hello

I have been looking at the catathai 42 also. It is announced on the web site as 7.5 tons light. What changes did you make to go to 5 tons light? Carbon?

Best

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Kowloon Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 08:05   #21

Nothing so expensive! And the 42 has too much room for me
My boat is only the "old" 40 GC with long tail (sorry, I'm bad in english!)
There is almost the same inside space than the Catana 42, and this is realy enough for me and my wife! The two rear berth are 1,70m wide (67inch) and the "small" front one is 1,50m(59inch) and 2m long(79inch).
More, no polyester but only Vinylester to avoid osmosis...
For me the good one! Even if very simple inside
piou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:24   #22

Boat: Currently boatless

I know this is an old thread but I was looking at the TS42 and the reason I can't see it being a cruising boat is, as far as I can tell, there is no door...

Can you imagine cruising around but not being able to lock up when you go ashore?
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 16:12   #23

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I know this is an old thread but I was looking at the TS42 and the reason I can't see it being a cruising boat is, as far as I can tell, there is no door...

Can you imagine cruising around but not being able to lock up when you go ashore?

Not exactly the same size but some gunboats have the same config, with main enclosures coming down the hulls, obviously not great for liveaboard in northern Canada though
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:13   #24

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post

I saw the ts 42 in Martinique last winter . I t is a fantastic boat , fast as all get out with carbon mast and boards I spoke to one of the charter workers and he said it is one of the most popular boats they have . A local sailmaker was on board one (it might have been a 50) and they did the run from le Marin to Rodney Bay in about an hour .That is a nominal 25 nautical miles . what it is not is a live aboard but so what, neither is a melges or a TP52 or all sorts of other sport boats. About the door that is not there, that is one of the real outside the box design ideas . It keeps the weight down to nothing and allows maximum space flexibility. The access to the hulls is through a water tight lockable hatch .
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 13:26   #25

Boat: Trimarans!

Which company actually owns the TS42 in Martinique? Has anyone actually chartered it? Impressions about the boat, equipment on board?
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 16:40   #26

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

regis guillemot has the ts 42
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 02:04   #27

Love the Marsaudon cats! Especially the TS5. But I think the Dazcat 1495 can carry more weight.. If I really have to choose one day it will be between the DC1495 and the TS5
Fransw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran