Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 22:09   #121

Boat: Gulf 32" PH Sloop
Re: Trimarans - All Piver Trimarans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
31 puts it around the Piver Nimble at 30' and the Herald at about 32' Looks more like a Nimble with higher cabins added.
This is what it looks like to me..

A Victress trimaran, designed by Arthur Piver. Nigel Tetley sailed one of these around the world in the 1968-69 Golden Globe Race. Donald Crowhurst, who came to such a tragic end in the same race, sailed a variation of the same design. You still see some of these boats actively cruising today

https://www.sailfeed.com/2015/02/cru...-alternatives/
scottfree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 01:41   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
You lost me. A sound Piver might take you anywhere but it probably won't make you money if that counts.
Naw just looking put some checkmarks on bucket list items the turned out to be life lessons. The guy was selling boat in SD cause his bros apparently were 2 ballz short of a load and the SD/Tj border is where the border guards check your sack.

Similar thing happened to me, I'm 21 and find a 1985 Gulf 32 being traded in on a $250k boat, so the broker got me financed for $37k then sold it to me for $32.5.

So I'm 21/22 still have 1 semester left before I grad from ucla (Wash. St. 30 / USC 27 final) now I own a 7 year old Gulf 32 all the upgrades $100+ on the invoice, my payment? $325 mnth and at the close? I get a $700 check , nice..

So I'm 21 boats ib Marina del rey, 22/23 lets sea the Lbc, 24/25 NB Bayshore for $320, Yup $10 bucks a foot, I'm the eatin grin 25yr old paying $650 a month to live like movie star that's John Wayne's old pad to the right..

So now what? Got some salty ballz and am raring to go, plan NB-Sd-Cabo-Acapulco-Playa Potrero etc. port hop to the canal loop up to key west sell the boat, buy a couple harley's and ride home.

So I'm pulling some disability after getting by a drunk while I'm driving for supershutle, I've got $2/$3k in the bank so maybe the daily but no snit happens cash for crusin.

So I'm itchin, talkin I wanna go NOW!! So a "friend" hanging out at the bar not that close, he's 25 supposedly just did 4 year vacation in the army, operation "Just Cause" aka Noriega was about in 91/92. So he's making big plans to dump $25k he'd "saved" in the mil. on his wedding, ok but not my concern..

Until.. hey dude I don't love her, can't marry her, she kicked me out you serious about this trip, I've got $25kHe said he was a mechanic in the army and the sooner I can put and ocean between me and this broad the better..

Hellz yeah I'm serious, we agree 3 months fitting out ready or not we sail and button up any issues left in SD. So it's THE DAY!!! Shot's, tale's of the sea, bars closed. Ok your moms dropping perishables @ 8am (ice box no fridge) were pulling 10am latest and baby steps Dana Point 1st port of call..

So it's 8, it's 9, 9:30?? Ok ** don't care if you're hung over, where's the food? 10 ain't happening, get on the (pay)phone lol 12 is the new target!!

Ok you talked to moms what up? Well? Uhhmmm... Dude I can't go.. Wtf?? What do you mean you can't go? Well, I talked to my mom and she says I'm not allowed to go.. Holly ****!! Fine your a pussy and are scared you don'think I crapping my pants right now, do you know how bad I would feel if I got a woman killed on this trip but I'm still going, so go put on some fresh panties and a pretty dress and I'll explain the duties of the "ships bitch" to ya..

Umm.. sorry dude I really can't go, what are you gonna do? Well I'm making a grocery run, and you? Your getting your **** off my boat NOW, my new target is 1pm and anything on this boat at 1 belongs to me so start pilling beaotch.. So at 1:30 I singled handed out of newport heading south, I may not have seen the the world per the plan but I spent the next 6 years on that boat either on a hook our on quay wall
cans next to the Star of India, that, well that was the life..

And the so called friend? Well it turns out he had nothing and it would be a pretty good bet that every word he ever uttered to me was a bald-face lie. A talk about a sociopath, every few years he would just show up like we were pals, he brought his girlfriend, his mom, cause who doesn't like reminiscing about the worst screw job you ever took with the screwer and his friends and family??
Old 30-09-2017, 04:20   #123

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree1 View Post
Ok, can anyone identify what boat/plan specifically this is?

"1966 31' Piver sloop rigged trimaran sailboat, Fiberglass over wood construction."

Clipper bow says Nimble to me. I'm not familiar with the Herald.

Cheers,
Old 30-09-2017, 08:37   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Clipper bow says Nimble to me. I'm not familiar with the Herald.

Cheers,
There seems to be an undertone that these things are widowmakers? Any opinion on if that comes from the design or the limitations that come with any home built boat??
Old 01-10-2017, 21:35   #125

Boat: Piver 41AA, Cross 28.
Send a message via Yahoo to Kelldog

The advertised Piver is a Piver Nimble. I know the boat because a friend of mine previously owned it. It sails very well. I believe it still has some life left for the right person who can appreciate these older trimarans.
Kelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 22:04   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelldog View Post
The advertised Piver is a Piver Nimble. I know the boat because a friend of mine previously owned it. It sails very well. I believe it still has some life left for the right person who can appreciate these older trimarans.
The posting did not show any pictures of interior, usually a bad sign. Do you have any recollection on how the boats cabin was fitted out? He also mentioned problems with some issues rot around the pontoons, having a trimaran, Catamaran and monohull sounds like fun, but not if it's the same boat, on the same day.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:09   #127

Offer of trimarans in my country is really low. I learn more about them in each new forum post.
Marko_Vulesica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:28   #128

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

I don't know about this specific boat, but rot in the bows of the amas is a common problem on Pivers. While repairable, it's a major project often requiring new amas.
Old 25-08-2019, 04:45   #129

Boat: Piver Loadstar 35 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to chubasco

Hello
Just purchased a 1967 Piver Loadstar. Any good suggestions where to mount outboard? Ive seen everything from holes in deck between ama and main hull, to the transom and saw some interesting on the Searunner with dropdown ramp like thing. Also, can anyone tell me structurally how the loadstar is framed between amas and main hull. I fabricated a quick place between ama and main hull to put the outboard to move the boat after purchase and the decking started to collapse when I tightened bolts.
chubasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 14:11   #130

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Congrats on your purchase.

The Lodestar, like lots of Pivers, has a box beam at the front and back of the wing deck. They are often left open at the ends. You should be able to attach bolts to a sled near the beam root but I would caution drilling into the beams.

On his smaller tris - Nuggets, the beams were solid 4x4s but yours are probably plywood. I would be wary of bolting into the beams because I would not want to help rot start. So I would instead use strands of uni glass to wrap around a stainless tube and the beam, saturated in epoxy.

Then you could make a plywood sled arrangement that has the outboard poking up just at the end of the wing deck. This is what I have done on my 38ft cat with a rather heavy Yammie 25 four stroke. You may get away with a Yammie 9.9 four stroke but it could b e a little underpowered nowadays.

Piver and others used to use small outboards and would use a cockpit plug for a 6hp outboard which they stored in the float. That is too small and hard to use in my book.

I am also Facebook friends with a guy who had a Lodestar that went around the world. I can give you his name if you message me.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 16:20   #131

some friends own a AA36. I'm not too sure of the construction similarities, but the beams running through his wingdeck were boxbeams made of plywood. he was able to cut the end of the beam so it was open, make up a set of doublers and slide them in place mounted on a stick. he epoxied and screwed them in position and mounted a sled to the area of the beam where he put the doublers.

Pat
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 09:55   #132

Boat: Piver AA-36

I have a 36' Piver, commercially built 1974. Owned for a 10year rebuild. Best advice for motor 20 hp Suzuki EFI. I tried 2x9.9hp mounted to aft cross beam as close inboard to the main hull as possible. XL shafts as low as possible, still with a 2'chop they alternately ventilated. I went back to the single 20hp in a verticle rack mounting just in front of the rudder. But best recommendation is sled as Piver is very weight sensitive. Best yet build the sled as a pram to disconnect as a dingy
JOULESTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:20   #133

I would like to see your sled set up and yes I would like to contact the world sailor on the Loadstar
thanks for taking the time to respond
Steve
Old 12-09-2019, 07:08   #134

this is an interesting idea, by Pram, do you mean a boat that slides under the aka?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:13   #135

Boat: Piver AA-36

I think it is JimBrown that has a design for a sled attached to the aka and carrying it's own weight. My Lodestar at 36' is very weight sensitive. However I do love my 20hp at 115lbs and positioned right in front of the rudder on a slide that raises it out of the water for sailing. But to do over I would build or even buy a flat bottom, square nosed that could be attached to the cross beam and disconnected to be used for a dingy
JOULESTOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piver