Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2007, 16:21   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Three weeks inthe boatyard

I've just returned to my endtie after a three week haulout, that's 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. My first official act was to walk up to the yacht club bar and inhale two pints of very cold ale. Now, I need to find a chiropractor, and sleep for a couple days non-stop.

Knight & Carver Yacht Center in the south part of San Diego Bay is VERY user friendly for multihullers. I can't say enough good stuff about them. I completed a complete overhaul of every thing from the deckline to the centerboard: new topsides painted in LP, board and rudder repairs, all new fasteners for the rudder, two new depthsounders (one is a scanning sonar), PropSpeed coating on the Martec folding prop and the shaft, and a ton of other stuff that has been waiting for as much as thirty years. WILDERNESS looks (from the deck down) like she did when I launched her in 1978.

The yard let me do most of the work myself, including the sanding and grinding, without elaborate tenting and environmental protection. The reason? I used a Festool vacuum grinder. I will send pictures of my good buddy Jeff Allen, grinding the underwing while wearing a black teeshirt and not using a mask. Not a speck of dustwent into the air. The yard managers were astounded and let me alone for the duration of my stay.

I'll send some pictures as soon as I recover a bit.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 21:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Congratulations Roy,after a well deserved rest you should post a few pictures of your boat.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 22:10   #3

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 46
Roy,
Good to hear that K & C treaated you well. When I did trampoline work for them (they were paying me, rather that me paying them) on some custom boats they built, i had a heck of a time getting paid. It was so bad that I threatened to come down and remove my products under the cover of darkness if I was not paid. This was a chronic problem with them, they always seemed like they were unable to pay their vendors. I was not alone. They do have the capabilities to haul some big boats though.
Bryan
bryanweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 14:17   #4

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Especially interest in the "Forward scanning sonar".
What type is it?
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2007, 14:26   #5

Phased array scanning sonar

It's an Interphase 200C "Sonar Engine", basically, a black box (really red), two grapefruit sized transducers and cables. It is designed to hook up with newer electronic displays (including laptops and monitors). Mine will be plugged into a Raymarine system, the E120, which is still sitting in the box, as well as the navstation laptop. As soon as I can get rested from the haulout I will temporarily hook up the system and send some photos. I chose this system because I wanted to do some fishing, as well as having, in effect, underwater radar. I'll pass more info soon.
Old 19-07-2007, 15:13   #6

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
We are three weeks in the boatyard, too, and hoping to launch on Monday. It's incredibly hot here in NC, with temps in the high 90's and higher heat indexes.

Sunspot Baby had her mast removed for the first time since we've owned her - it went back up today. And she's getting some spiffy new parts and props for her sail drives. New logos (same name), a couple of new bilge pumps, some new switches, and of course she got her bottom painted. She should be really happy now.

We are pooped. Can't wait to get out of the yard, but Kenny and Bock Marine (near Beaufort, NC) are always accommodating and reasonable.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 11:49   #7

Okay, I got a couple pics posted in the Photo Gallery. Enjoy.
Old 29-07-2007, 13:20   #8

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Congrats Roy,

The yard becomes a way of life. I had an aquaitance that was refitting her home with her husband and fell off of the deck breaking her arm. Hopefoully your yard experience will be better than hers. They tranported the yacht to the NW and sailed for a number of years till her husband pasted. May your expriences be filled with joy.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:59   #9

Boat: 52' BeauBien Catamaran
Congratulations on your relaunch. I am just completing the refinishing and rigging of a 52' cat up here in Port Townsend. I also used a Festool sander. It cost a lot, but saved me many many hours. A great tool and nice not to have to breathe in (much) dust! I recommend them for anyone who has a big refinishing project. We rolled and tipped Interlux's Perfection 2-part poly and it came out pretty good. I found that if you go to Fisheries Supply in Seattle and ask for their new boat discount card they give you the very best pricing on paint for 90 days. It knocked down the price of perfection by nearly 40%. Hope you enjoy your nearly new cat!
allnunstoport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boatyards