Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2015, 22:37   #76

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: The sales value of a used multihull

Sorry, comparing cars and boats or overproduced widgets is not irrelevant. ......supply and demand is the determining factor. I am a full time crusier and just accept the sale price of my boat is alot less than the sum of its parts. Most boat owners just can't accept the true value ( for sale ) of what their boat is really worth. The boat market like many other markets has taken a serious hit in the last 6 years.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 22:41   #77

OK, so a Shelby Cobra about 40 years ago was worth a few thousand bucks. Now they're worth millions. Should old boats be priced accordingly?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 22:47   #78

Boat: Catalina 470

Supply and demand.......shellby cobra is a rareity and wasn't mass produced. Niche markets will always hold their value, few boats including home built catamarans fit this category!

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:15   #79

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
By my experiences looking for an own boat (a trimaran for living + working) over last months I have seen 90% overprized sales offers. In total I looked at 10 boats now.

If boats sell within a few month they are priced right. If not they are likely too high or in a remote destination. A used boat is worth what someone else pays for it. Not buyer contacts or offers but what someone really pays for it. That is the market value.

Everything else in your post is irrelevant. Buyers and sellers come up with all kinds of formulas and at the end these are not worth the paper they are written on.

For example I had a seller coming up with a huge list of base price, options, additions, etc down to the new mooring lines he bought just 3 years ago (and forgot that he had morring lines already in the options list). Then he came up with some sort of deprecation formula.
At the end he was firmly asking 40% over the realistic price. The boat sat there detoriating for 5 years and was reduced by his heirs to reasonable levels. She sold within six weeks.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:18   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Sounds like he died satisfied with his price. Those types of boats are the hardest to negotiate for as the seller remembers the boat as pristine whilst he has perhaps not actually been aboard in several years and was never pristine anyway.
Old 29-10-2015, 08:39   #81

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:

6.) Last aspect: The owners should deliver a qualitatively survey by a certified naval architect. It is not costly... for a boat in the range of 15-20 meters its something around 7-800 US dollars. Not too expensive I would say if one demands 120,000 US dollars.

I always wonder why boat owners are shy to orgnize such a survey.

Are they scared to read the reality printed in ink on white paper to recognize that their boats aren't of that high value they project in their minds ?

Of all ten boats I have looked at only 2 boats got a survey. One naval architect recognized osmosis, so the old boat owner had the chance to repair the damages. It helps all three: the old owner, the boat and the new owner.
A seller's survey is pretty much useless. A seller most likely doesn't knlw the surveyor and can't judge his credibility. The surveyor works for the one who pays his bill.

Quote:
P.S.: The drop down same calculates some other aspects, e.g. extra costs for the sales contract. e.g. lawyer, flight costs/travelling expenses, delivery (transfer by skipper + crew) etc. ... an owner has to take into account all the efforts a buyer is bringing up till he has the boat in own harbour.

a seller will drop the price because the prospective buyer comes from some distant country?
So when the times come to sell your future boat you will drop the asking price because your buyer comes from Thailand and has extraordinary travel and delivery costs? Not very likely...
This comes only into effect if the boat is located in remote places, like the Maledives or somewhere in PNG.

Really, your post is just wishfull thinking of a buyer. Seller come up with the same. If byer and seller meet there is a deal. I don't think this happens too often if one or both come up with this sort of formula.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 13:58   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Supply and demand.......shellby cobra is a rareity and wasn't mass produced. Niche markets will always hold their value, few boats including home built catamarans fit this category!

There are plenty of examples of mass produced car which are not only holding their values, but appreciating...

But yes, it is supply vs demand that dictates the price of a used boat. Always has been. Not some self interested formula that someone invented.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 22:50   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
The sales value of a used multihull

I think used yacht value lists like exist for used cars in many countries might assist us very much when looking for our next boat!
These used car lists often published on yearly editions are the sales value of used cars of certain age, and assumed to be in prime condition. The prospective buyer than can use that as a standard to establish the value of the car for him after deducting costs to bring car back to its prime condition. In the case of boats being in far away ports, the buyer has to sort that one out for her/himself, considering the boat being what he wants and cannot find anywhere else ir anywhere closer.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull, sale