Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2017, 15:00   #586

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Thats my problem, they are the sort of cats I like. I must of looked at the catana 47through my binoculars 10times the other afternoon.
No offense intended regarding your seawind, I know they are a decent boat, just not for me......some may not like the look of my boat, that's ok.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
If we all liked the same boat, there would only be one boat company. No fun in that. Frankly, aside from the Gunboat and the Atlantic cats, I like the lines of a Hinkley (sp?). Maybe because the first time I saw one, was in a slip with a real cutie doing bright work touch-up prior to owner taking possession. I can still remember .... oh well, maybe it wasn't the boat so much. But overall as a group I would says the lines of monohulls are more appealing than cats. It's just that I would never buy a boat on looks. And function wise, the Seawind cat works better for us. (And at one point we owned a Beneteau, and then a couple of Corsair trimarans, so we've had some other experiences as well to compare. And I spend a lot of time on sisters Catalina too.)

The Catana is smart looking, has the boards for performance. A lot of good things going for it. Just a tad expensive.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 15:29   #587

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Which people?

The cat is the suv of the boating world. Apart from a few regions globally I count more monos than cats by a magnitude or more.
Like Multi-hulls the SUV also rightly or wrongly garners the same sort of criticism and is the rising force within the auto industry. So I like your analogy.

If you did a count of transport methods on land back in 1910, I guess you would have counted a lot more horse and carts than automobiles. Luckily there where enough forward thinking, enovative people back then to carry on with the research and development and today, we have no more horse droppings in the middle of the road.

There are still people who like to ride horses today, thats fine they enjoy it. Do they spend there time trying to convert people back to the horse and cart because it is the only safe and reliable way to traverse large tracts of land as was done in the past, I do not think so.

The SUV analogy is probably an accurate one, because they are definitely on the rise in a lots of countries. In Oz they are a huge segment of the auto market, same in USA and other first world countries. In the third world the cost (just like in multi-hulls) is probably holding the SUV back more than it's suitability as a transport option.

We are all lucky enough to live in a time of rapid development and transition within the sailing community, just look at the foiling cats and even the mono's are getting in on that act. The number of multi-hulls to mono-hulls you count in any marina or anchorage has more to do with your location and the time (by time I am referring to the past, present and future), than it does with which is perceived as the more suitable and seaworthy vessel.

Anyway sitting on my multi-hull, has been raining for past 12 hours and looks like continuing for another 24-36 hours thanks to ex-tropical cyclone Debbie.

:whistling :

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 15:37   #588

Boat: 45ft Ketch

I like the attributes of a cat and would love to own one. Just that I get much more value for money with my ketch.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 04:41   #589

I say good luck to them they seem like a great couple and their content is very entertaining I give them the thumbs up. As for boats my handle says it all lol.
HansChristian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:47   #590

Boat: Catalina 22 / ... wants a Cat'

many true statements ... and i LOVE Catamarans!

however, there is an entire category of sailors that cannot afford the higher purchase price, maintenance, or operational costs of catamarans. And to realize their live-aboard dreams means a $25k 36' monohull. . . . is what it is.
troyfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 14:29   #591

I will always sail a full keel cutter rigged mono hull because I consider it the safest most seaworthy vessel but he'll what would I know I don't like cars and ride a bicycle while wearing Lycra when on land.
HansChristian33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 14:33   #592
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansChristian33 View Post
I will always sail a full keel cutter rigged mono hull because I consider it the safest most seaworthy vessel :
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sadly that statement is not based in empirical fact
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 14:43   #593
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I think the dirty little secrete that 95% of us regular Joes don't want to admit is that if we had the money we would all be cruising on Cats. The other 5%...well those are the guys that get into the best anchor debates. I live and cruise on a Floating Condo 50ft full keel Hudson force 50 that feels like she's on rails on a beam reach but when I'm on a Lagoon 38 I can't help but have a little Cat envy.

My Names Rich and I admit I have a problem.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 14:52   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Like Multi-hulls the SUV also rightly or wrongly garners the same sort of criticism and is the rising force within the auto industry. So I like your analogy.

If you did a count of transport methods on land back in 1910, I guess you would have counted a lot more horse and carts than automobiles. Luckily there where enough forward thinking, enovative people back then to carry on with the research and development and today, we have no more horse droppings in the middle of the road.

There are still people who like to ride horses today, thats fine they enjoy it. Do they spend there time trying to convert people back to the horse and cart because it is the only safe and reliable way to traverse large tracts of land as was done in the past, I do not think so.

The SUV analogy is probably an accurate one, because they are definitely on the rise in a lots of countries. In Oz they are a huge segment of the auto market, same in USA and other first world countries. In the third world the cost (just like in multi-hulls) is probably holding the SUV back more than it's suitability as a transport option.

We are all lucky enough to live in a time of rapid development and transition within the sailing community, just look at the foiling cats and even the mono's are getting in on that act. The number of multi-hulls to mono-hulls you count in any marina or anchorage has more to do with your location and the time (by time I am referring to the past, present and future), than it does with which is perceived as the more suitable and seaworthy vessel.

Anyway sitting on my multi-hull, has been raining for past 12 hours and looks like continuing for another 24-36 hours thanks to ex-tropical cyclone Debbie.

:whistling :
It's rather annoying to see monos being put into the same category as horses and carts. Monos do plenty of things better than multis do. For example, some of us don't like having to climb in and out of hulls when we go below. We don't like accommodation in narrow hulls, and don't like the way that cruising multis feel when sailing or the high rigging loads. I don't like the high price of multis, which means that people leave out a critical factor when they compare them on a length for length basis.

Many of us like day sailing in our cruising boats, and as in many other sports or pastimes, we LIKE leaning. It's a trait that is so common in humans that sports philosophers have coined the term "ilinx" to describe the joy people get when they are leaning over as their bike carves through a turn, or they slice a bottom turn on a surfboard - or as their mono heels underneath them.

There are plenty of people who know multis well but feel no need to denigrate monos directly or by implication. It's not like a case of olde-world horse and carriage versus modern SUV - it's a matter of taste and priorities just as much as (say) the choice between buying a cool inner-city terrace house versus buying a block in the suburbs, or being a tourist on a bicycle or a tourist in a huge motorhome.

Oh, and when you say "just look at the foiling cats and even the mono's are getting in on that act" it's as if you think the cats got foiling first. In fact as in so many other developments (including wing masts, wing sails, modern sandwich construction, assymetric spinnakers, and carbon spars) the modern foiler was developed in monos first and was adopted by multis years later.

I may note that my family has had multis since about 1984 (including two 11m cats) and I own a multi, so I am not against multis in any way. Coming from that background and hearing from my family members who cruise their multis, I tend to think that much of the increase in multis in Australia is down to the increasing age of cruising sailors and their increasing wealth, which allows them to buy these often expensive boats. There were many multis in production here in earlier eras and people like Beach Marine turned out a lot of them, so the implication that there is a major swing towards multis overall may well be misplaced. Certainly in some places there is a small but significant shift away from small racing multis, which may be significant.
Chris 249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 14:54   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sadly that statement is not based in empirical fact
True, but nor are many claims from multihull sailor about safety.
Chris 249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 17:18   #596

Sorry Chris 249 my analogy between mono/multi and cart/car has obviously hit a nerve with you. "It's rather annoying to see monos being put into the same category as horses and carts" it was not my intention to imply that there is a connection between a mono and a horse and cart. I was trying to use the development of road transport as an analogy to sailing vessel development. Obviously a clumsy attempt on my part, judging by your reaction.

The following part of your reply has me intrigued. Quote "Monos do plenty of things better than multis do. For example, some of us don't like having to climb in and out of hulls when we go below."

Is there another way to get below on a mono, if you do not climb in and out of the hull?

"I don't like the high price of multis"
I am totally with you on that but I guess it will not change any time soon.

"we LIKE leaning. It's a trait that is so common in humans that sports philosophers have coined the term "ilinx" to describe the joy people get when they are leaning over as their bike carves through a turn."
Never herd that term "ilinx" before, but can totally understand what they mean being a bike rider from way back, I can not disagree with you on "the joy people get when they are leaning over as their bike carves through a turn, or they slice a bottom turn on a surfboard - or as their mono heels underneath them." I do not know about the surfing, I tried surfing a couple of times but was totally crapso never got to experience the slice of a bottom turn. While we are on the bike analogy,there also is an awful lot of fun to be had taking a bike out on a salt flat and running wound flat out for 5 or 6 miles.So one does not have to be leaning at 45 degrees to have fun.

"There are plenty of people who know multis well but feel no need to denigrate monos directly or by implication. It's not like a case of olde-world horse and carriage versus modern SUV"
Remember we are on a Multihull discussion page, discussing the premise "The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls" The SUV analogy was not my idea, it was used in a derogatory way to support the negative argument, I merely ran with it to attempt to argue the opposite view. I personally feel no need to denigrate monos as such, I may have the odd joke at friends who own monos expense with them but, I am not on a crusade to denigrate them, last year I enjoyed two race weeks as part of the crew aboard a racing mono. "I may note that my family has had multis since about 1984 (including two 11m cats) and I own a multi, so I am not against multis in any way" We both obviously can swing both ways.

"it's a matter of taste and priorities just as much as (say) the choice between buying a cool inner-city terrace house versus buying a block in the suburbs" That is a good analogy as long as it includes price. If price was no object who would want to be in the suburbs if they could get a cool inner-city 3 bedroom/3 bathroom with multiple out door entertaining area for the same price as a block in the burbs.

The original discussion was "The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls"

No one has said or is saying monos are to be replaced totally by multihulls, just that more people are buying multihulls now than previously did. Someone stating "I will always sail a full keel cutter rigged mono hull because I consider it the safest most seaworthy vessel " has nothing to do with the discussion on the shift to multihulls. (How can you take someone seriously, who admits to wearing lycra anyway)

"implication that there is a major swing towards multis overall may well be misplaced." The yacht manufacturers around the world may not agree with you, if they did they would not have been buying up multihull companies and bringing them under their own brands umbrella.

If you do not believe this to be the case, have a chat to Beneteau about their sales numbers compared to their sister company Lagoon, who currently have one third of the multihull market and are about to launch another multuhull brand. Ask Bavaria why they are branding a multihull with the Bavarian Yachts brand name. I will guarantee its not because they see a shift away from multihulls world wide any time soon.

But he'll what would I know, I like fast cars and motorcycles and may ride a bicycle (If the engine was not broken) but I DO NOT wear Lycra.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 18:01   #597

I don't see a major move to cats.. based on what I observe on Long Island Sound. In Northport we had 2 cats and one tri moored and they've gone and replaced by big monos... a Dufor fior example.

I suppose the appeals is more real estate and a more stable platform which IS a complaint from some ladies about monos... they heel. I wouldn't buy one if I were in the market for a new boat... I find them unattractive and I do like the feel of a mono's hull to the wind. The are harder to berth I suppose as most marinas are set up for monos... so you'd pay double occupying two slips.

No... some people like them, and so there is a market for them. The monohull is not going away.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 18:02   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I think the dirty little secrete that 95% of us regular Joes don't want to admit is that if we had the money we would all be cruising on Cats. The other 5%...well those are the guys that get into the best anchor debates. I live and cruise on a Floating Condo 50ft full keel Hudson force 50 that feels like she's on rails on a beam reach but when I'm on a Lagoon 38 I can't help but have a little Cat envy.

My Names Rich and I admit I have a problem.
you're wrong too.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 18:11   #599
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I don't see a major move to cats.. based on what I observe on Long Island Sound. In Northport we had 2 cats and one tri moored and they've gone and replaced by big monos... a Dufor fior example.

I suppose the appeals is more real estate and a more stable platform which IS a complaint from some ladies about monos... they heel. I wouldn't buy one if I were in the market for a new boat... I find them unattractive and I do like the feel of a mono's hull to the wind. The are harder to berth I suppose as most marinas are set up for monos... so you'd pay double occupying two slips.

No... some people like them, and so there is a market for them. The monohull is not going away.

I'm guessing Long Island Sound is a rare exception, if you go about 300 miles south to the Chesapeake and further south from there you will realize catamarans are becoming more popular.
If I were in the market for a new or used sailboat I wouldn't buy a monohull unless I couldn't afford a multi as I and my wife personally like the motion of a multi.
It's all a matter of choice, I don't see the mono market going away but the multi market is growing gangbusters!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 18:13   #600
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
you're wrong too.

Wwwwaaaaaaaaa!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote