Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 05:44   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
the perfect location for A/C water intakes

A friend on our dock had the same cruiseair airconditioners that we have and this summer he every 4 days was emptying out his trap because of jellyfish getting stuck and asked me when the last time I had to clean mine.

"I think around 4 months ago?" I replied. Others overheard our conversation and they were also wondering how we could do it so infrequently as they were also having problems. I then realized that I put the intakes for the A/C on the inside of the hulls under the bridgedeck. Jellyfish just don't swim between the hulls into the darkness in a catamaran, maybe it's the shadow contrasting with the light.

So if you want a really care free location for water inlets for your boat, always put it on the inside of the hulls.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Good advice!
Jellyfish are photosynthetic animals, so have have a preference for the sun, and avoiding shadows.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Jellyfish are photosynthetic animals, so have have a preference for the sun, and avoiding shadows.
So does their food.

I'm not sure the argument is that well based though since they clog up strainers at night too. Water temperature might be a better indicator as well as currents. They also favor warmer water and don't navigate that well in a current. Minor difference of both might make some slips more attractive than others to the creatures they eat as well as the creatures themselves.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Although Jellyfish are passive drifters (zooplankton), mostly transported by water currents, they can also swim with rhythmical contractions of their bell.

Jet propulsion, in jellyfish, is possible because of special muscles called coronal muscles, embedded on the underside of the bell, which push water out of the hollow bell. As water is pushed in one direction, the jellyfish moves in the opposite direction.

Without a brain or eyes, jellyfish rely on nerve cells to help them move, and react to food or danger. Sensing organs tell them whether they are heading up or down, into the light or away from it.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:03   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I have installed several of the on the Chesapeake and they seem to resolve the problem quite well. GROCO-970150012 SELF CLEANING WATER STRAINER

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Chuck: You must have very wealthy customers.
GROCO-970150012(LIST $1495.95)$1229.99/each

Old 05-12-2008, 07:31   #7

You don't need them on every strainer, pretty much just the AC unit. How much do you suppose you might spend to replace a few AC pumps and have a service guy on the boat because it eventually caused problems with the compressor. Well worth the money in areas with lots of jellyfish for months and places where debris is a problem.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 05-12-2008, 08:05   #8

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Hmm, my filters need biannual cleaning and never have jellyfish, the people right across from me need to clean every othe week. I've got a ton a debris around me, but not between the hulls. I'm guessing then that the hulls protect from them drifting along the surface at night and during the day your probably right in that they avoid shadows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
So does their food.

I'm not sure the argument is that well based though since they clog up strainers at night too. Water temperature might be a better indicator as well as currents. They also favor warmer water and don't navigate that well in a current. Minor difference of both might make some slips more attractive than others to the creatures they eat as well as the creatures themselves.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 13:16   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
You don't need them on every strainer, pretty much just the AC unit. How much do you suppose you might spend to replace a few AC pumps and have a service guy on the boat because it eventually caused problems with the compressor. Well worth the money in areas with lots of jellyfish for months and places where debris is a problem.
At $200 for a March Pump, and $200 Labour, it wouldn't take many failures (about 3) to justify the high cost of the macerating strainer to me; but sans jellyfish, my Florida customers would have been a hard sell.

Old 05-12-2008, 13:18   #10

Gord, Really haven't installed any out of the Chesapeake.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek