Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 06:34   #196
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Evolution of "Condomarans"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't see where is the contradiction: Yes I would give up sailing if I had to sail a sluggish boat.

I explained on a posterior post

I thought that the posterior posts had made that very clear, but since you did not have understood here stays the clarification. I hope it is clear for you know.
Still in the office huh..!??
Bummer.!!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 06:43   #197

Re: The Evolution of "Condomarans"

Well Polux... Feel free to give up sailing if that ever is necessary for whatever reason. My father at age of 85 is sailing a slow and sluggish boat. He has had the same boat for over 50 years. I am sure that he is perfectly happy with the boat. My boat you would likely call condomaran. By brothers boat is a hard core racing boat. Everybody is happy with each others choice and we are not trying to tell each others that my choice is the only correct one.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
NorthernIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 08:22   #198

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Still in the office huh..!??
Bummer.!!!
I work with my posterior on a chaise at the computer and make some pauses to post. Red weather alert to Portugal with 100km winds on the way. I am happy I am not on a sailboat right now.

Waiting for the spring and the good weather and you are right, Bummer!!!

Regarding "posterior" on red alert, maybe that is not much used on that sense in English, but it also means "coming after in order" the meaning I was using on the phrase.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/posterior
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 08:25   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernIsland View Post
Well Polux... Feel free to give up sailing if that ever is necessary for whatever reason. My father at age of 85 is sailing a slow and sluggish boat. He has had the same boat for over 50 years. I am sure that he is perfectly happy with the boat. My boat you would likely call condomaran. By brothers boat is a hard core racing boat. Everybody is happy with each others choice and we are not trying to tell each others that my choice is the only correct one.
Sure I cannot agree more, regarding both side of the equation, I mean not only regarding sailors that like and prefer the comfort of condo boats trying to "sell" them to the guys that like to have fun while sailing and cruising on a more spartan boat and vice versa, multihulls or monohulls alike.

I believe i had already made my position very clearly:

Quote:
"The only thing I really don't like are the kind of guys that think that their own choice regarding his perfect boat is the best and more logical choice to all the sailors or all the cruisers" means that I don't try to impose my particular choice and tastes regarding sailing to others and that I acknowledge that there are many different personal tastes and that the perfect boat to one can be a nightmare to other.
Old 13-02-2016, 08:31   #200
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Evolution of "Condomarans"

Quote:
I work on the computer and make some pauses to post. Red weather alert to Portugal with 100km winds on the way. I am happy I am not on a sailboat right now.

Waiting for the spring and the good weather and you are right, Bummer!!!
Yup... been raining solid a few days and the rivers flooded here in Coimbra.. lots of restaurant owners weeping blood.. they were booked solid for tomorrow night.. Valentine's.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 08:37   #201
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Sure I cannot agree more, regarding both side of the equation, I mean not only regarding sailors that like and prefer the comfort of condo boats trying to "sell" them to the guys that like to have fun while sailing and cruising on a more spartan boat and vice versa, multihulls or monohulls alike.

I believe i had already made my position very clearly:

Just to clarify, are you implying that sailors of condo cats don't enjoy sailing, or don't enjoy it as much as other sailors perhaps? 🙈
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 11:05   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Just to clarify, are you implying that sailors of condo cats don't enjoy sailing, or don't enjoy it as much as other sailors perhaps? ��
Just saying that a racing boat is a boat optimized from sailing. From there goes all sorts of possible compromises regarding sailing performance versus maximizing interior volume, interior living space and storage space.

Sailors are different in what regards the different compromises that are willing to accept towards maximizing sailing performance (and fun) versus maximizing interior space and also different in what regards the sailing pleasure they are willing to trade for that space.

I think that we will agree that the more fun boat to sail, being it a multihull or a monohull is a race boat or a very sportive boat maximized for sailing. A cruiser that value sailing pleasure will tend to have a boat as pleasurable to sail as it can get and that means a sportive cruising boat.

If condo sailors (monohulls or multihulls) enjoy as much sailing as the ones that have more sportive and fun boats to sail, being it monohulls or multihulls, it seems to me that they did not chose the right type of boat, the one that will deliver the more rewarding sailing in what regards sensations and pleasure.

Don't seem a logical choice to me if on that compromise between sailing potential/pleasure and interior space the compromise goes more for sailing fun than for interior space and comfort.

It seems also normal that someone that will trade a lot of space and comfort for a more fun and a more rewarding boat to sail is someone that likes more sailing that someone that does the opposite, unless he had chosen the wrong boat to himself and is mistaken about his tastes and priorities in what regards sailing and cruising.
Old 13-02-2016, 11:19   #203
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I think that we will agree that the more fun boat to sail, being it a multihull or a monohull is a race boat or a very sportive boat maximized for sailing. A cruiser that value sailing pleasure will tend to have a boat as pleasurable to sail as it can get and that means a sportive cruising boat.

Oh no we don't agree on that point, but each do their own. As I mentioned earlier, sailing pleasure for me isn't really just about boat speed. I enjoy sailing equally on most types of sailboats, although admittedly, some are more comfortable than others.
Old 13-02-2016, 11:47   #204

Quote:
Oh no we don't agree on that point, but each do their own. As I mentioned earlier, sailing pleasure for me isn't really just about boat speed. I enjoy sailing equally on most types of sailboats, although admittedly, some are more comfortable than others.
Yes, I said before it is not only about speed but about control and sensations.

I have some difficulty to understand how somebody can have the same pleasure sailing an heavy sluggish boat with very limited sail shape control very limited acceleration potential compared with a nimble responsible fast sailboat that will respond to the slightest puff of wind with full shape control on the sails, but if that is your case, I can only say that sailors are even more different among them than what I thought possible

For me, personally, It you make the same sense as saying that driving a truck is as fun as driving a Porsche or a Lotus.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:07   #205
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I said before it is not only about speed but about control and sensations.

I have some difficulty to understand how somebody can have the same pleasure sailing an heavy sluggish boat with very limited sail shape control very limited acceleration potential compared with a nimble responsible fast sailboat that will respond to the slightest puff of wind with full shape control on the sails, but if that is your case, I can only say that sailors are even more different among them than what I thought possible

For me, personally, It you make the same sense as saying that driving a truck is as fun as driving a Porsche or a Lotus.

Yes Polux. I'm not sure which type of yacht you might be imagining there as most large yachts don't tend to give those sensations for me. Perhaps off the beach cats or dinghies? I'd hardly call any cruising boats nimble or fast. Perhaps some are less sluggish than others. I must admit going from racing off the beach cats to racing 40-50' monos, it did feel like someone put the brakes on and took a while for me to appreciate the difference in performance, but nether the less I can't really say there is more pleasure involved in either. Maybe one day I will get to sail one of the sluggish boats you are talking about and appreciate the difference.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:07   #206

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Monte, it is what ever floats your boat. So to speak. I'm sure there are a number of adages. As long as someone enjoys it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 12:07   #207

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Just one word. Off-roading.

(or is that two? )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 12:10   #208
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^^ have to admit I have more fun in a Renault traffic or 4x4 ute than in a bmw
Old 13-02-2016, 12:13   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Just one word. Off-roading.

(or is that two? )
Hum I raced off road and the pleasure a light high power nimble race truck delivers compared with a low power heavy truck has nothing to do. But I said personally, maybe for you they would be equally fun to drive.
Old 13-02-2016, 12:18   #210

Quote:
^^^ have to admit I have more fun in a Renault traffic or 4x4 ute than in a bmw
You mean a BMW like this?