Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 08:54   #226

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: The Cons of Owning a Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Close. I think a better analogy would be someone who lives in a plastic McMansion that was built quick in a gated neighborhood and wont last 50 years saying that to someone who lives in a beautiful little stone cottage by the sea thats been there for 200 years. Sure the guy in the ugly McMansion has more bathrooms and bedrooms and glitz, but is he any happier? Did he get a better deal? I doubt it. In another generation the stone cottage will still be there, just the same. The McMansion will be decrepit and falling apart because it wasn't built to last. I will hand my boat down to my children when I'm gone, and I'm sure it will be in great shape. Unless I burn it or wreck it in the meantime. I feel good about that after putting 400k into it.

Hmm.... catamarans, the mcmansions of the production boat market?
that should rile up the multi folks, but perhaps there is some truth.

yes, my Luders was built in 1966 by Allied and there is not a creak or stress crack, or failed tabbing on a bulkhead, even after 45 years of ocean and coastal sailing and some hard racing. best of all (for me) it was designed by a racing designer from the outside in- so an interior was fit into what was then thought of as a good sailing hull- so the sailing "feel" is really nice- just the right amount of weather helm, great tracking, good stability- and was an important criteria for me when trialing boats for purchase. Obviously this comes at price of interior space, but not for 2 adults and 2 small kids, where we have plenty of salon, cockpit, and netted in deckspace for all to roam.

I don't doubt that there are cats being built that will have the same results in 45 years, but I think they are on the higher end of the price range or custom built.... but maybe it doesn't matter to boaters who will only keep the boat <10 years.
Old 13-03-2012, 08:56   #227

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye View Post
Actually, my question was so someone could point out what I am missing. Admittedly, I have little to no knowledge of multihulls and have only started researching the boats.
However, even after a short time, the advantages are many. Maybe the sailer with the anchor tattoo would rather heel at 45 degrees and enjoy knock-downs, capsizes and small living quarters but for whatever reason, sailing at a 15 degree heel in a boat pretty much capsize safe with roomy, comfortable living quarters is appealing.
I will further admit, the glamour and esteem one gains in sailing in a beautiful mono is attractive. Who is not caught up in the romance of Joshua Slocum's Spray? But, most of us admire the romance while realizing comfort and safety take precedence.

I do not think Multihullers are defensive, I believe they are convinced they have the best vessel (for them) and are not shy in stating the reasons that support their opinion. Trust me, monohull owners are just as adamant about their choice of vessel.

WOW now here is the pissing into the wind problem as pointed out by a few M/H posters here - an armchair critic who is researching multihull boats.

They start by saying they have little to no knowledge of multihulls then pontificate on why a multihull is better and comes out with rubbish like "in a boat pretty much capsize safe " I am old enough to remember when every week there was 'another' cat upside down.........now things are much better BUT come on how can you start a post with i know nothing - then write that!!!!!
Old 13-03-2012, 09:23   #228

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
[snipped]

Gloating? Yeah I do sometimes gloat. When I pass a monohull sailing to windward, by sailing faster and higher than them, I admit - I gloat! I smile and wave, and sometimes I'm really tempted to say something. And the reason for that is because it is so often stated as an absolute fact (once again by people who have no experience) that NO CAT could EVER outsail a mono going to windward.
The same statement applies to trimarans.
I love all sailboats, but I also love to prove them wrong about weatherly capabilities and tacking in a couple of knots of wind.
Re: the "Unleaded" boat name, when I purchased my Dragonfly I almost named it "Sin Plomo".

Ayn Rand
Old 13-03-2012, 09:38   #229
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret

Close. I think a better analogy would be someone who lives in a plastic McMansion that was built quick in a gated neighborhood and wont last 50 years saying that to someone who lives in a beautiful little stone cottage by the sea thats been there for 200 years. Sure the guy in the ugly McMansion has more bathrooms and bedrooms and glitz, but is he any happier? Did he get a better deal? I doubt it. In another generation the stone cottage will still be there, just the same. The McMansion will be decrepit and falling apart because it wasn't built to last. I will hand my boat down to my children when I'm gone, and I'm sure it will be in great shape. Unless I burn it or wreck it in the meantime. I feel good about that after putting 400k into it.
Boy was that an uneducated generalized post. So all cats are crap and all monos are built like brick s**t houses.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:02   #230

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpopeye View Post

Lastly, to address what I want to spend. Well, that $60,000 Prout sure sounds appealing from a price point but do I want a 25 year old boat? Hmm, no. I would rather spend $100,000 and get a 2006-07 Gemini 105.

Maybe charter one.

All are compromises but again, I don't think the Gem is great for long ocean passages.

There are tons in the Caribbean though.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:08   #231
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
WOW now here is the pissing into the wind problem as pointed out by a few M/H posters here - an armchair critic who is researching multihull boats.

They start by saying they have little to no knowledge of multihulls then pontificate on why a multihull is better and comes out with rubbish like "in a boat pretty much capsize safe " I am old enough to remember when every week there was 'another' cat upside down.........now things are much better BUT come on how can you start a post with i know nothing - then write that!!!!!

LOL! Notpopeye is the OP on this thread. He started it to get more info and stated that up front.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:11   #232

Boat: Rhodes 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj
Boy was that an uneducated generalized post. So all cats are crap and all monos are built like brick s**t houses.
That was not politically written, but there is some truth that catamarans break apart more so than monos. Physicswise, two hulls connected by a platform is going to be less stable over a couple decades. And some of the same goes for poorly built monos. You just don't see some models around at a certain vintage. But the rules are changing. Catamarans every year are being built less expensively and more strongly.

Best argument for cats I heard was at the Miami Show. A Beneteau salesman explaining why the Sense was designed that way touted that it was like a catamaran. When a monohull builder's argument for the sale of a monohull is its likeness to a multi, you really have wonder. No doubt about it, cats are a growing market and a big part of the future of sailing.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:22   #233

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Hey guys Minaret is a professional shipwright and I want him working on my cat when I buy it. At least I know it will be done right. Research his posts. I'll even take him for a sail and I'd like to sail his too.
Old 13-03-2012, 10:29   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

This thread has reached a point where posts are being deleted and others edited by moderators. It is time everyone took a deep breath and considered the content of their post before hitting the submit button.

Old 13-03-2012, 10:34   #235
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Hey guys Minaret is a professional shipwright and I want him working on my cat when I buy it. At least I know it will be done right. Research his posts. I'll even take him for a sail and I'd like to sail his too.

Thanks Bob, happy to take you out anytime you're in Seattle. But I'm about to retire for all time so you'll have to find someone else to work on your cat, LOL!
Old 13-03-2012, 10:45   #236
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan

That was not politically written, but there is some truth that catamarans break apart more so than monos. Physicswise, two hulls connected by a platform is going to be less stable over a couple decades. And some of the same goes for poorly built monos. You just don't see some models around at a certain vintage. But the rules are changing. Catamarans every year are being built less expensively and more strongly.

Best argument for cats I heard was at the Miami Show. A Beneteau salesman explaining why the Sense was designed that way touted that it was like a catamaran. When a monohull builder's argument for the sale of a monohull is its likeness to a multi, you really have wonder. No doubt about it, cats are a growing market and a big part of the future of sailing.
I would imagine the structure needed to keep all that lead in column with a boat heeled over 30degrees would be less stable after a couple of decades as well. Apples and oranges?
Old 13-03-2012, 10:57   #237

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
I am old enough to remember when every week there was 'another' cat upside down.........
We are probably of a similar age, yet I have no such memory.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
Old 13-03-2012, 11:07   #238
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
I am old enough to remember when every week there was 'another' cat upside down.......
yea I remember I flipped my first cat about 199 times- A Prindle 18 ft cat- and thats been 35 years ago-
Old 13-03-2012, 13:56   #239

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
yea I remember I flipped my first cat about 199 times- A Prindle 18 ft cat- and thats been 35 years ago-
A Caper Cat for me complete with inbuilt eskies in the hulls and 2hp Seagull on the back, many a time we tiptoed over the mainsail!!! was exactly 35 years ago!

Was fun tho!!!
Old 13-03-2012, 14:07   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Someone explain why many mulltihullers are so defensive and are the first to propose their boats are superior.

I wonder if the OP was asking whether there are "cons" to multihulls was because of perceived gloating of multihullers.
How about you explain why so many monohullers feel the need to come to the MULTIHULL FORUM to tell us how much better their boats are than ours?

Who really is being defensive here?

Now we're being told that old, but originally high end mono's are built better than production cats aimed at the charter market. WOW! What a revelation!

How about comparing the build quality of production mono's to production cats? Fact is, a large number of them are bult by the same people, in the same factories, using the same techniques.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran