Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2010, 08:09   #1

Boat: Leopard 44' Catamaran
Surveyor Recommendations for South Florida

Based on some excellent feedback on my "broker or no broker" question - I am now looking for a surveyor recommendation in the Miami or Fort Lauderdale area. There are 3 or 4 boats down there on my short list and might want to hire someone to take a look.
Nick
Nick & LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:03   #2

Boat: Still planning
Check out this link for starters:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ons-12326.html
Old 06-05-2010, 09:21   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have been pleased to benefit from the professionalism and guidance of Brian Stetler. He's a member here - Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: amarinesurveyor - though I came to use him based on the recommendation of another CF member a few years ago before Brian ever joined CF or I became a moderator. Here's a link to his website: Stetler Marine Surveys: SAMS Marine Surveyors, Marine Surveyor, Florida.

TaoJones
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Try Charles Kanter. He has probably surveyed more multihulls than anyone in the US and is located in S Florida.
Phone # 561 369-7828
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:40   #5

Boat: Prout 46
Once you find a surveyor, and he/she looks at the boat, and if he/she finds things wrong with the boat, and you still want the boat, the next step of course is renegotiating the price of the boat to mitigate those repairs. BE VERY SKEPTICAL ABOUT REPAIR ESTIMATES. You will find estimates to fix any boat anywhere, but especially in the South Florida area, are wildly understated. As a rule of thumb, double any quote you receive.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53   #6

Ed Rowe of Ed Rowe & Associates did an insurance survey for me a few years back. Outstanding, detailed report! I'd use him again without hesitation.

He's located in Ft. Lauderdale.
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:11   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I can highly recommend Darrell Brizendine:

Marine Surveyor Yacht And Boat Survey Inspections and Certified Surveyors

Been using him for 11 years on numerous surveys.

Very competent and nice guy.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:42   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Check out yachtsurvey.com and marinesurvey.com
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:31   #9

Location: My residence is in Vancouver Washington. Have a floating home on Hayden Island in Portland so the Hailing Port is Portland OR
Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Odyssey 43 Deck Salon - Gemini Daze
South Florida Surveyors

Just completed a purchase of a Lagoon 440 in West Palm Beach. When I went searching for a surveyor, I tried to find one that wasn't particularly close to FLL or MIA or where my purchase was. Less chance of finding one who has some loyalty to the Broker.

That being said, I looked on the internet and contacted several. I wanted the mast and rigging checked (cost more), oil in all engines, transmissions and drives analysed and a full infrared scan of the hulls completed (sometimes cost more). These are the 4-5 most expensive areas to have work done on.

Like it or not, I think it is almost imperative to be there when the survey is done so you can follow the surveyor around like a new borne kitten. Observe and talk with him/her about everything. Because they provide a value appraisal they are also aware of "ball park costs" to repair. Keep your own list. Go with the surveyor for the on the water sail and observe the shape and condition of the sails. This is another big expense if they are in really bad shape. Example, my Lagoon 440 had a main with bad batton pockets, 6 year old sails, and the UV cover on Genoa needing replacing. From my past experience I estimated it would cost me near $6K to have repaired. Got lucky, R&R, restitch, replace pockets and UV cover, new stack pack and repair as necessary two spinnakers for $3800.

The bigger the boat the more the cost and it doesn't necessarily have a linear relationship.

All of these things should be done by the Surveyor and as you go around with that person, if they don't do those things ask for it. All part of the contract and their due dillegence.

Good Luck
Gemini
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:33   #10

Location: My residence is in Vancouver Washington. Have a floating home on Hayden Island in Portland so the Hailing Port is Portland OR
Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Odyssey 43 Deck Salon - Gemini Daze
Forgot one big thing..... Your offer can change after the survey!! This is where much can be saved.

Gemini
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 03:58   #11

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
I had a great experience with a truly professional and honest surveyor. His name is Brian Stettler, his email is : bstetler@amarinesurveyor.com

He surveyed a yacht for me. Came recommended by the broker.......and was extremely honest in the face of a terrible boat. The broker gave him a hard time on what he said about the boat structure etc, but he would n't change his survey. He was excellent and I have used him since. Not cheap...but you get what you pay for. I think what i'm trying to say is the guy came as the brokers surveyor...... but regardless of who or what was said he gave his honest opinion of the boat!

bstetler@amarinesurveyor.com
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 23:11   #12

surveyor

We too used Brain Stetler for our pre purchase survey on our Aikane 56' cat. Very through and a real pro. I'd use him again.
drewke07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:52   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran
Surveyor in South Florida..

Hi.. I sent you a private message.. Let me know if you still need some help with your short list... I have lots of experience as a boat owner and a liveaboard with what your looking for. I can also point you in the right direction with some reputable boat vendors if you need them.
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 13:56   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35'
Re: Surveyor Recommendations for South Florida

For those of you who are using this post to find a surveyor in the SE corner of Florida, I would also like to add a "goodonyah" for Brian Stetler. Very personable and efficient and true.

Bill K.
BillyBobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 14:19   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Former owner of a 2001 34' Gemini 105MC Catamaran
Re: Surveyor Recommendations for South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobtx View Post
For those of you who are using this post to find a surveyor in the SE corner of Florida, I would also like to add a "goodonyah" for Brian Stetler. Very personable and efficient and true.

Bill K.
Brian is a good guy. Know him well. My fellow surveyor to the north!
SuenosAzules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, surveyor