Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2015, 09:23   #241
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: St. Francis 50: "Wayfinder"

Heath there's lots of anchor apps for apple or android etc. we have a couple of iPhones on board and an iPad. One iPhone lives next to the berth, one on a standard holder at the nav station and iPad roams around. All these devices can link wirelessly to the plotter so you can also take a peak at the phone next to the berth on passages to check conditions, speed etc. I had the wind speed and direction also displayed on the plotter so all useful info at hand. You can also operate the plotter from the devices which can be a bit annoying for the crew on watch I rarely use that feature as I prefer put faith in the crew to manage things while off watch, but occasionally take a peak if I feel conditions have changed much. The iPhone at the nav desk usually has a local data sim and acts as our wifi hotspot and taken ashore when we need a phone. All devices act as backups for navigation with independent gps and apps such as navionics.
I find the wifi to iPad from the Raymarine plotter to be really helpful for passage making. In the past I haven't been a very relaxed watch keeper and it's tiring on long passages. I would sit at the helm, check the horizon, sails, plotter, radar etc, then when I should relax and rest for 15 minutes till the next check, I found I couldn't help peaking at the plotter and scanning the horizon 2 minutes later. That makes for a looong 3 hr watch. Now with the iPad I can keep watch from the cockpit or saloon, setting a kitchen timer for 15 minutes for a proper scan and peaking at the iPad to confirm conditions haven't changed occasionally. I should clarify this is when we are over 100M from the nearest land. The closer to land, the more time is spent at the helm, closer to 100% of the time within 20M of land. I do meet people occasionally that are happy to sail across oceans and leave the electronics to handle navigation and traffic alarms while they get a full nights sleep. I can never imagine being THAT relaxed!

Anyway, back to Wayfinder! Hugh you sound like an ideal client with a flexible launch date. From my experiences building houses, that's the best way to achieve the best possible product. Generally it's the clients that have an urgent desire to have their new home handed over on the predetermined date the most problematic and often small issues can become big issues between the builder and client. It sounds like you and St Francis want the best possible product and so long as the client realises that the builder makes less profit the longer the build takes, and has no interest in delaying construction, you will end up with the best product. Changes along the way take time and money and if that's all considered fairly by both parties there's no reason you and St Francis shouldn't have a long lasting good relationship, and any issues that arise (they will, it's a boat!) will be resolved amicably together.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 06:51   #242

Boat: St. Francis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
have you considered building up a DVD bank? I am as i said before a couple of years behind where you are now but already I've taken all my DVDs and backed them up onto a synology drive (4tb storage). This is then linked to the TV. This allows me to watch any one of my large collection of DVDs on demand.
I'd love to do this. I have a very large DVD/Blu-Ray collection. The last digital storage solution I looked at (years ago) was crazy-expensive. I'll have to look into this synology drive.

Quote:
I don't know how I did this but I mistakenly thought the paddleboards were to lie in their side and go in the backrest section of the seating.. the video suggests that they are in the lap section.. but don't you then loose storage in these?
The compartment they go in is under the raised coamings behind the settee seating. The compartments were already there, but the hatches leading to them weren't wide enough, and the compartments weren't long enough for paddleboards. So we changed the hatches and extended the length. The storage under the settees is still how it was before.

Quote:
Great Thread by the way... I am also very much looking forward to seeing the finished product so will have to visit whichever show you make. The only questions I am probably still wondering about is performance before choosing an SF50 so would also be very interested in information on this aspect.
These boats are fast. Before I tell you about my experiences, I'll warn you that the cat boat speed police are liable to appear and call me and anyone else who attests to the performance liars. So stay tuned for that.

I've been on a SF50 in wind ranging from 35kts to 5kts. With a double-reefed main and a few turns on the genny in 25kts, we were cruising at 10kts, average. That meant a lot of time at 12 - 13kts. The delivery skipper said with full sails out, he always expected to average half wind speed on most points of sail. They had many 200+nm days on their delivery, and I know another SF50 owner who reported the same thing. For the entire delivery of hull #18, the skipper figured an average speed of over 8 kts.

The day after the boat show">Miami boat show, the builder had hull #18 doing 17 knots, sustained. The deck hand is a friend and he attested to this. The prospective buyers on the boat were filming the GPS, and I've tried to track them down and get pics and videos for my own education (and verification!). I asked Duncan about this, since he was at the helm at the time, and he said if they were only doing 17 knots, he would've been upset. The top speed he's hit sailing, not surfing, is a claimed 22 knots. His son, who has delivered many of these boats across the Atlantic, has the unofficial record at 24 knots (I think. My memory is screaming 26, but I keep using the smallest of the numbers that I feel like I remember, in deference to the speed police).

Personally, I don't care to sail at anything over 12 kts. I don't like the wear and tear on myself or the boat. I was looking for a cat that would move in 7-10 kts of wind if reasonably loaded (which is to say: not very loaded at all). I've seen video of a SF50 doing windspeed in this range. Sailing at 7 kts in 7 kts of wind and sailing at 10 kts in 10 kts of wind. That's the kind of boat I want. From my own time sailing a SF50 and spending weeks living with and conversing with people who have sailed them extensively, I'm confident that the SF50 will meet that need.

Light-air capable and able to scoot if I feel like throwing up a wake. There are several boats in this size and price range that would have done this for me, but none felt as well thought out as the SF 50 (to me, anyway). And none would allow quite this level of customization. And none had builders and sales reps involved who made me feel this comfortable putting my money and my dreams in their hands.

Having said all that (and repeating what I've said several times in this thread): There are a TON of boats I'd be happy on. Just explaining why I landed on this one. It could easily have been another boat, and I'd be extolling its virtues. Try a bunch and go with the one that grabs you and won't let go. That's what I did.
Hugh Howey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 00:28   #243

I just added a bunch of pics from the yard on my blog. I'd duplicate the pics here, but it would be a lot to upload:

Wayfinder | Wayfinder Build: Part 7 – Coming Along

It's amazing how much they accomplish every day. And the engines arrived this week, which is exciting.

One thing to note, for those planning to come see the boat in Annapolis: We're considering unveiling this boat at the Cape Town boat show instead, which is at the same time as the Annapolis show. I've been told there will still be a St. Francis 50 at Annapolis, and my boat will be at the Miami show next February.

The launch date is still set for July. We'll do a few weeks of sea trials around here before heading to Cape Town. I asked if we could make this change so my departure from Cape Town could be delayed. I've got an event in late September that would've put a crunch on our delivery, and this will allow us to make more stops among the islands on our way to the States. Hope to see some of you in Miami or the following Annapolis show.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:30   #244
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Howey View Post
I just added a bunch of pics from the yard on my blog. I'd duplicate the pics here, but it would be a lot to upload:

Wayfinder | Wayfinder Build: Part 7 – Coming Along

It's amazing how much they accomplish every day. And the engines arrived this week, which is exciting.

One thing to note, for those planning to come see the boat in Annapolis: We're considering unveiling this boat at the Cape Town boat show instead, which is at the same time as the Annapolis show. I've been told there will still be a St. Francis 50 at Annapolis, and my boat will be at the Miami show next February.

The launch date is still set for July. We'll do a few weeks of sea trials around here before heading to Cape Town. I asked if we could make this change so my departure from Cape Town could be delayed. I've got an event in late September that would've put a crunch on our delivery, and this will allow us to make more stops among the islands on our way to the States. Hope to see some of you in Miami or the following Annapolis show.
You can have an amazing trip back if you have the time. So many wonderful places to drop in on. The Cape coast has some beautiful places to stop - one of my favourites being Knysna - which can also be interesting to enter, but is not as fearsome as many shall have you believe. Again, it is worth going there by car first and going to the top of the heads (cliffs) and looking down on the whole vista. That way, you'll see the route through easily. It is a fantastic place and has a super friendly yacht club.
If the weather is calm enough then St.Helena is a must.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:20   #245

Boat: Leopard 48

Thanks for the latest update Hugh - cannot wait to visit the facility in person in September! The build looks amazing.
Old 01-05-2015, 15:32   #246

All I can think about is the story of that lagoon 44 with a sail drive that snagged their dinghy's line and half sank because the bulk head wasn't water tight in the rear. I like the added security of sail drives being located behind a water tight bulkhead. If the drive ever snags a line the mounting could become compromised, like in that lagoon, and allow water in. If the compartment is separate from the main hull, boat is fine and you're just one engine down. What measures are in place on your boat to prevent such an occurrence?
Ghillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 23:23   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghillie View Post
All I can think about is the story of that lagoon 44 with a sail drive that snagged their dinghy's line and half sank because the bulk head wasn't water tight in the rear. I like the added security of sail drives being located behind a water tight bulkhead. If the drive ever snags a line the mounting could become compromised, like in that lagoon, and allow water in. If the compartment is separate from the main hull, boat is fine and you're just one engine down. What measures are in place on your boat to prevent such an occurrence?
Great question.

There's a bulkhead forward of the engines well above the waterline, just for this reason.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:01   #248
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

That's good. And to take something away from the lagoon accident.

Don't sail/motor with the dinghy attached to a long painter
Don't use a 1" sheet as a painter
Keep the engine drain to bilge stopcock in the open position, but close it if the bilge pump is overwhelmed
Consider additional engine compartment bilge pumps
Consider carrying a portable gas powered high volume pump
Think twice about who you entrust your vessel to and make sure they have adequate qualifications and vessel specific information
Don't drill holes for aftermarket installations in watertight bulkheads without sealing them properly
Don't invest all your money in a vessel if you can't afford to pay the insurance deductible in the event of a claim.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:16   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
That's good. And to take something away from the lagoon accident.

Don't sail/motor with the dinghy attached to a long painter
This is spot-on. I spent a year hopping around the Bahamas, and even if I was just going to the next anchorage over, I took the time to hoist my dinghy. Never liked it bobbing around back there, especially when setting the anchor.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:18   #250

I was at the yard today, where the yard manager and myself built a full-size footprint of my tender in order to place the lifting crane and make sure the tender would clear the hull when launched. At one point, Jaco needed to go check on some things, and I stood there at the floor of the bay where my boat is being built, and I watched the workers fairing the hull and building the fuel tanks, and it really hit me again that this is going to be my boat. In the water. With me living on it.

I was at the aftermost portion of the starboard hull. The edge of the last step is about forehead high, as the boat sits in the cradle. Where the deck and hull are joined has been faired and sanded here. It's just as smooth as you can imagine. It's one of the parts of the boat that feels "done." It doesn't feel under construction. It feels like a brand new boat.

I've rubbed this part of the boat a handful of times, just passing it by. Just to feel how my boat will feel to the touch. And today, it was just so emotional. I rested my forehead against this little patch of fiberglass, and it was easy to imagine the boat bobbing at anchor, and swimming up to the swim platform, and just hanging there in the sea for a bit. It was easy to imagine, because I was doing this very thing on the previous hull just two months ago. I was watching the new owner of that boat geek out over the fact that he'd just bought his dream cat. I couldn't imagine what he was feeling, living on this 50' boat that was now his. I couldn't imagine.

But today, I started being able to see it. I caught a glimpse. It was amazing.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:26   #251

Boat: Lagoon 42

Most people would write:

Quote:
I was at the factory today. Damn boat was nice. Where is the beer?
Instead, you write:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Howey View Post
.... I've rubbed this part of the boat a handful of times, just passing it by. Just to feel how my boat will feel to the touch. And today, it was just so emotional. I rested my forehead against this little patch of fiberglass, and it was easy to imagine the boat bobbing at anchor, and swimming up to the swim platform, and just hanging there in the sea for a bit. It was easy to imagine, because I was doing this very thing on the previous hull just two months ago. I was watching the new owner of that boat geek out over the fact that he'd just bought his dream cat. I couldn't imagine what he was feeling, living on this 50' boat that was now his. I couldn't imagine.

But today, I started being able to see it. I caught a glimpse. It was amazing.
And that is why you get to have a SF50 and most people don't -
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:44   #252
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We all know that getting a new boat (be it brand new or second hand) is one of the best days you can experience. In your case, you are fortunate enough to be involved from conception to the delivery, like any proud father. Having a supportive factory just doubles the feelings. The fact that you express yourself so well allows us to also share this.
Keep on posting...........................
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 15:45   #253

I did another walkthrough video today at the yard. This one was over lunch, while the workers were away. In the few weeks that I've been here, an amazing amount of progress has been made. Furniture has been laid out, built, and installed. The hulls are being faired and prepped for painting. And loads of supplies have arrived for installation (pumps, deck hardware, toilets, etc.)

https://youtu.be/EqtQovGcAtc
Old 12-05-2015, 21:29   #254

Hello Hugh,

Great looking boat ... I am getting anxious for August to arrive.

I read, on another board, that St. Francis has a shaft drive option. Do you
know if that's true.

Best regards,

Mike
mbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 22:39   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuckner View Post
Hello Hugh,

Great looking boat ... I am getting anxious for August to arrive.

I read, on another board, that St. Francis has a shaft drive option. Do you
know if that's true.

Best regards,

Mike
Yes, they can put in a shaft drive. The engine is mounted far enough forward.