Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 10:10   #1

Boat: too many
SMG 50, its Like they were Reading my Mind

CF'ers that know me are aware of my constant dribble of how I would want my next boat to encompass some forward thinking technology. If I wanted to set some record as "The most solo circumnavigations by an old fart over 65", I would probably choose a 56' or 60' Sundeer mono, because that is what they are designed for. My choice is for comfort and speed, using state of the art but simple systems. My list of wants....

1) Diesel-electric propulsion.
2) Fully electric galley, no propane and easy to clean and efficient induction cook tops.
3) Speed
4) Never been a fan of the compression loading of a typical mast, right in the center, weaker part of the boat. Not many choices out there for an A-frame mast.
5) Being able to reduce sail easily and without having to come into the wind.
6) All sails furling without the compromises of a furling mainsail.
7) Don't want two steering stations, even though on cats with obstructive view around cabin/salon roof, they are employed.

When they built the first SMG 50 "Number one", they met all of my criteria and I thought it was to be just a one off custom build. When they launched the 2nd one I figured one other person shared my taste and that would be all of them. Now a 3rd one has splashed, and as Arlo Guthrie said in his song "Alice's Restaurant", "three people, I'm mean three people, come in, sit down, and sing a bar of Alice's Restaurant, then they might think it is a movement".

Tell me fellow multihull CF'ers, do you think this is a movement? If so, just join in and sing along the next time it comes around on the guitar.

All furling, speeds to 20 kt

Forward cockpit, single wheel

The 2nd one

Electric propulsion

Induction cook tops

Cool one anyone?

For me, I prefer socializing from the nav table.

And designed and built for the cruiser/racer and not the damn charter market.

I admit, got a bit carried away on this post. All three are represented in the above pictures.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:21   #2

Re: SMG 50, its like they were reading my mind

And what's the price tag of a new one of these?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
And what's the price tag of a new one of these?
The first one "Number One" was put on the market last year, used, 4 years old at $520,000 USD, and within the last month was dropped to $384,000.

I don't know the new price, as it looks like they both build to order and spec the options to suit the buyer.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:05   #4

Boat: PETERSON 44
Weeel officer Obie. With all those glossy 8x10 photographs with an explanation of each one and having witnessed the evidence as it was put before us I think I think welll you could get alot off good sailing from a boat like that.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Weeel officer Obie. With all those glossy 8x10 photographs with an explanation of each one and having witnessed the evidence as it was put before us I think I think welll you could get alot off good sailing from a boat like that.
That would be 27 8X10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one to be used as evidence against us.

And I would sit on the group W bench for a chance at that boat.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:14   #6

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The first one "Number One" was put on the market last year, used, 4 years old at $520,000 USD, and within the last month was dropped to $384,000.

I don't know the new price, as it looks like they both build to order and spec the options to suit the buyer.
Wow! That's a steal! I would have expected $1M. More than my budget, but a real bargain.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:23   #7

Okay, so this might be a stupid question but I've been wondering why more boats don't have the helm closer to the front of the boat... I see on this one they have put the cockpit/ helm in front of the salon but there must be some reason more builders don't do this? I don't want to hijack this thread or anything, this is just the first boat I've seen with such a configuration. And it is a lovely boat!
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Okay, so this might be a stupid question but I've been wondering why more boats don't have the helm closer to the front of the boat... I see on this one they have put the cockpit/ helm in front of the salon but there must be some reason more builders don't do this? I don't want to hijack this thread or anything, this is just the first boat I've seen with such a configuration. And it is a lovely boat!
My best guess is naval architects have to build for the wants of a very conservative market and of course the charter market. I have heard more than once from boat designers that they would love to flex their schooling muscles in the design of a boat, but they need to eat.

Good example of bucking this trend is the SMG 50 and any Dashew boat.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post
Wow! That's a steal! I would have expected $1M. More than my budget, but a real bargain.
I would be on Number One if not for a commitment of caring for dad. Maybe when the time comes I'll be the 3rd owner of it, or the 2nd owner of the two sister ships.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49   #10

Spectacular!
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 13:13   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post

Wonder what is wrong with it.
Old 08-04-2012, 13:26   #12

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Beaut boat! The price seems too cheap. Why? The electric motors are probably are a negative for the general market?
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 14:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Wonder what is wrong with it.
This is what I've learned, Richard Malits is selling his "Number One" as his new yacht, the latest SMG 50plus is getting delivered to the Adriatic Sea soon.

So it looks like #4 is being built. Richard did enjoy "Number one", so much that he wants another spec'ed for his tastes.

At the Cornati Cup 2009, Richard Malits achieved at his first race ever, first place with incredible advance in total time compared to the other attending catamarans. He also established his personal record of more than 19 knots at this race (at 25-28 ktn wind, beam reach, on flat water). Even more surprising for all attendances was the sailing performance of "Number One" close to the wind. At close reach course the SMG catamaran even overtook fast monohull yachts.

I'm guessing (correct me if I'm off base) that Mr. Malits likes to enjoy his boats in the VAT free areas and upon selling a boat he has to take into consideration the extra costs involved for the buyer.
Old 08-04-2012, 14:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Beaut boat! The price seems too cheap. Why? The electric motors are probably are a negative for the general market?
When Lagoon jumped into EP with what was available, it did set EP back for future offerings. But on a cat, where you don't want a lot of weight aft, EP makes perfect sense, gen-set (hopefully the light and efficient DC output type) located to the center, providing energy for long slogs or the batteries for silent, shorter needs, to the motors mounted aft and tipping the scales at around 40 lbs. Also getting to swing a coarse pitch prop at slow speeds that would stall a diesel for close quarters maneuvering, makes docking child's play.
Old 08-04-2012, 14:39   #15

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
My guess is they are not a very fast boat.
Sail on fast Multis and you appreciate some boat in front of you to protect you from firehose spray and even green.

Many's the time I have sailed on cats when you have had several inches of solid water come across the decks, over the cabin top and dump in the cockpit, even of 40 fters