Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 12:45   #31

True. But then the fastest powerboats usually have more than one hull don't they?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post

Mari-Cha IV will do 40 but here she's only doing about 20.

It's a nice boat, but the video shows 18.5 knots. The boat I built in my backyard, which we live on full-time, can do that.

If they are claiming 40 knots, why isn't there video of it? And why doesn't it hold any records?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:29   #33

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
The fastest monohull sailboat in the world is a needle-nosed ocean racer called V.O.60. It was designed by Bruce Farr, and is capable of 36 knots. That's 41.4 mph. This sleek machine is 64 ft. long, just over 17 ft. wide and weighs 30,000 pounds. The mast soars 85 ft. in the air. The bottom of Farr's speedster has a flat after section like a powerboat--the hull lifts out of the water and planes at anything over 17 knots. I have seen several designs that included hydrofoils, including one that had a keel shaped like an airplane wing, that sailed twice the speed on starboard tack as port tack.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:59   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Simuler speeds are being posted by asymetrical monohulls. I can see the technology on the hull curvature trickling down, ....slowly to production racing hulls.
Whats an asymmetric mono hull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
The fastest monohull sailboat in the world is a needle-nosed ocean racer called V.O.60. It was designed by Bruce Farr, and is capable of 36 knots. That's 41.4 mph. This sleek machine is 64 ft. long, just over 17 ft. wide and weighs 30,000 pounds. The mast soars 85 ft. in the air. The bottom of Farr's speedster has a flat after section like a powerboat--the hull lifts out of the water and planes at anything over 17 knots. I have seen several designs that included hydrofoils, including one that had a keel shaped like an airplane wing, that sailed twice the speed on starboard tack as port tack.
Volvo open 60? Hell ellen macarthur sailed solo quicker on her circumnav than those guys sail fully crewed
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:20   #35

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
The Keel instead of being Symetrical with the hull has a deep fin with hydrofoils. It is shaped like a sideways airplane wing. It allows a light weight boat that sails really fast on one tack, and not very good on the other tack, (although designs are being worked that allow the fin to switch which side is the planing surface. I saw the original article a couple of years ago, Give me a little while to dig it up. (the above is a quickie google).
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 16:23   #36

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
To me, doing 20 knots on the water feels like 40. I wonder what 61 knots feels like?
Like low flying aircraft.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 15:15   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
And if we are talking about VO boats remember that Juan Kouyoumdjian the designer of the many canting keel ocean racing monos describes them as inefficient multis? - Inefficient Multis thread

Juan Kouyoumdjian was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in 1971; his surname is of Armenian origin.

Designer of the two ABN AMRO winning boats during the Volvo Ocean Race 2005-06, Kouyoumdjian has been involved in all sorts of projects during his career: including the Admiral’s Cup, TP 52’s, IRC and the America’s Cup.

ALSO

Juan Kouyoumdjian: If you allow a very free rule where you only define the “engines”, that is the sail plan, then for sure you will end up with a multihull. From a boat design point of view or yacht performance point of view, there is nothing that will get you further than a multihull. There is an argument that multihulls are not dynamic and are difficult to tack. I don’t agree with that because the greatest evolutions of multihulls, particularly in France, were done with offshore racing in mind. They were optimized for single-handed or dual-handed people to cross oceans. They did have a series of inshore races, Grand Prix as they called them, and that was one of the reasons that class failed, because of the discrepancies of what kind of boat you have to design for inshore races against offshore races. In essence you cope with two different boats and unfortunately budgets were not sufficient.

My point is that if you dedicate the resources one has in the America’s Cup to make a multihull dedicated to match racing it will not take more than a year to achieve it. From a yacht design point of view, the multihull is the “ultimate racing machine”.

Valencia Sailing: Is match racing conceivable in multihulls? Is it as spectacular, particularly the prestart?

Juan Kouyoumdjian: There is no problem to match race in such yachts. It could also be as spectacular, not if the America’s Cup takes place next June because people will not have the time to sort things out, but in the longer term it can very well be as spectacular as the current class, or even more. Don’t forget these are races of boats equivalent to Formula 1 and there are no cars in the world that can accelerate as fast, break as fast or turn a corner as fast as an F1 car. So if one pretends to claim that the America’s Cup is the F1 of sailing then its boats have to be the fastest one on the race course.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote