Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 08:46   #1

Boat: Seaward 22
Single Handling large cat 50'

Is it possible to set up a 50' cat to single-handle? How would the lines be set up to prevent accidental gybe? How much movement would it require, such as going forward, moving from one side of boat to the other, etc? Also reefing, would you need to secure sail on boom by going topside? Any other considerations that need to be addressed would be helpful. Thanks
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:10   #2

Re: Single Handling large cat 50'

You might want to consider more than sail handling, like docking. You do have to get fuel, dontcha?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:30   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

Thanks Stu, yep docking in high wind and current would present a problem.
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 14:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
You might want to consider more than sail handling, like docking. You do have to get fuel, dontcha?
You dont need more hands onboard...provided you have then docksides. But you still will need to be able to throw the lines ashore while conning the ship.

Modern large boats can be singlehanded at sea.....while everything works properly. When they dont, an extra pair of hands can make a difference!
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 14:32   #5

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

A 50' cat can be sailed (not with the kite though), motored, and anchored single handed. You will have to move around and will have to maintain more clearance to other boats and land as tasks will require more time. As Stu says, docking will be exciting. Usually easy enough to find crew.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 14:42   #6

For docking just wait outside for good weather, then well feasible
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 15:30   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Single handing is more a function of how the individual boat is set up than the LOA. Some much smaller boats can be a PITA to single hand just due to their set up.

So, lets take an actual example: Lagoon 50. With all the sail controls right there on the fly bridge + electric winches its easy to sail single handed. Anchoring, with a remote at the helm, is easy too.

Docking is where the challenge starts. The boat has high freeboard and the flybridge is way up in the air in the middle of the boat...thus...its a long way from flybridge helm to the dock. There is a second helm station in the main salon, but its not ideally positioned for quick access to dock lines either.

On the plus side, visibility while docking is excellent from the flybridge. And of course control with two widely spaced engines is excellent (except for that annoying props aft of rudders arrangement, but thats just an annoyance).

So...you could pre rig all your dock lines and fenders, position the line tails so they can be easily reached from the dock (assume dock crew waiting) and then use that excellent control to put the first corner of the boat you plan to secure right in the dock crews hands. With no dock crew....its gonna be a quick long scramble to get that line secured![emoji33] Once youve got one line secured, you can use it as a pivot point, and the rest is easy. [emoji3]

For these reasons, when docking a Lagoon 50, I put my crew on the dock lines on deck.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 16:31   #8

Boat: Amel 50

I could single hand my ex Lagoon 450 easily, except when reefing in bad weather and docking. Docking, almost, requires another person depending on weather. When sailing, the autopilot is your best friend. But, some boats are not setup to be single handed.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:11   #9

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

A couple of these with a remote switch at the helm should take care of dock line handling.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:23   #10
RPD

Boat: PP prototype, 'Hull Speed'. 16'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisElectric View Post
Is it possible to set up a 50' cat to single-handle? Thanks
Junk rigs are a bit traditional for single handing. (J Stockholm)
Something possibly better I expect to patent pend this week.
Fuel? By lighter-dinghy from anchorage. same PP design.
Docking? Not recommended given maneuverability.
Sail handling and self steering? Same PP design.

I hope to be free to share the details next week.
Non-production private use construction will receive my written permission.
Best wishes for you.
RPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:47   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

My old tri was 24' wide and it is a juggling act docking it by myself. I call it low speed panic attack.
There are several companies that have remote control helm systems. You can walk right to the side or onto the dock and control the boat and fiddle with the docklines at the same time. On a 50' cat it would be economically feasible.
You might want to look for a self tacking jib also called a solent. Turning the boat is as easy as turning the wheel. They were more popular about 20 years ago but now have come back into vogue with the new Lagoon models. They were standard on most Manta, Seawind, and Maine Cat although these are all smaller than 50'. They also were on the old Lagoon 42 and some 47s and others.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:22   #12

Boat: Boatless

Great question and made me smile.

I’ve spent more time than I can recall singlehanding, including years with our 50’ cat. Just put a video up on the web site of a particularly great passage from Tonga to Fiji solo. Magic.

The issue isn’t the boat, it’s between the ears.

All the mechanics you will figure out.

It’s the decision making, the confidence in your vessel and yourself. The humility to know when to retreat.

All of this comes with experience and even then not for everyone.

When I was training to drive one of the Auckland ferries I asked the lead Captain what he was thinking as he maneuvered the 200 passenger cat around the ferry terminal. His reply? “Exit Plan”

Good advice ;-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:55   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Single Handling large cat 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisElectric View Post
Is it possible to set up a 50' cat to single-handle?

Yes!! I am 62 and regularly handle 44’s in all conditions- including setting reefs and docking in small craft advisory winds. It requires having good skills and setting things up before you actually do them.

The key is to stay ahead of the boat- anticipate what will be needed and do it early. It is like single-handing a smaller sailboat. If you get behind the boat, it is hard to get her back. If you stay ahead it is easy.

I would suggest you find a GOOD charter boat captain or GOOD delivery captain and have him/her train you. Even once you learn the basics it will take time to master them.

While I know a really, really good guy in St Petersburg, there are some others around.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:46   #14

Boat: Lagoon 500

BelizeSailor is correct, especially with a Lagoon 50.

Choose a big cat with power winches that allows you to get to port & starboard quickly and easily.

Review your single-handed passage plan before you head-out ... particularly weather.

Avoid sail plans that may require two sailors (such as where there is a strong possibility of a jibe.)

If headed for a dock, call ahead and tell them you are short handed.

Try to anchor and dock in daylight conditions. Wear a pfd and use a jackline.
Cat White House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 15:38   #15

Balance 526 with versa helm and roller furling headsail and in boom or in mast main sail ! The versa helm enables vision of all 4 corners of the boat and quick response to the stern when backing into dock slip. Power winches for sheets allow reefing the in boom or in mast main and headsail without leaving the sheltered cockpit ! Love this cat .
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single