Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2022, 07:59   #1

Security Question

My wife and I recently purchased a Lagoon 380 which is our first boat and we are obviously going through a huge learning curve. The boat is going to be our "weekend getaway." Since there is no key needed to start the engine, how do we prevent someone from taking the boat in the middle of the night? Is there a way to disengage the starter before we leave and head home at the end of our weekend?
mplourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 08:08   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Security Question

Turn off the battery switch(s) for the start batteries.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 13:35   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Where is your boat. Have a fuel shut off installed where it’s not easy to see. Or..
Draw a picture of a manatee with a pizza bazooka and a booking photo of a member of the bloods gang... Paste them onto happy birthday dad cards and stick them in the window.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 14:18   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Boats don't get stolen often. Most people are inveterate landlubbers. Most thieves are interested in easily portable and fenced high dollar items. If you'd feel better, there are apps you can install to monitor your boat from a distance; also there are motion detector alarms you can install that will shriek if motion is detected. Wouldn't bother if there are lots of birds where your boat is, because even a flag waving will set them off.

Seriously, we've never worried about the boat itself being stolen. Dinghies, yes, and outboards, yes, contents of mother boat, yes. Had a new dinghy stolen. The creeps set fire to it and kept the 15 yr. old motor, to buy drugs with.

Life.

Ann
Old 25-07-2022, 14:36   #5

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

There is no key? So if a key will make you feel safer, wire in a key.... Just replaced the key in my Yanmar panel this spring with a simple key I got off Amazon for under $25. No key is going to stop a smart determined person who wants to steal your boat, but might keep some kids from going for a joy ride.
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 14:37   #6

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If you'd feel better, there are apps you can install to monitor your boat from a distance; also there are motion detector alarms you can install that will shriek if motion is detected.
We are using BRNKL as a monitored service. Have alarms and monitoring of battery voltages, bilge pumps, hatches, doors, internal temp, etc. Have an app on my phone that I can check any of these in real time, graphs over time, plus even take a picture on demand. If the boat moves outside of its defined geo circle, it also tracks with GPS. And sends an alert. Actually you can define any parameters for any of the monitored items to send an alert.

Our backyard dock is adjacent to a marina, that has in the past been burglarized via water access. It's not so much the value of the electronics stolen, but the damage caused in taking them. It's amazing what a cutting wheel on battery-operated grinder can do in a short time. The motion detector sensors can be set off by birds, lights, etc., and are not that dependable. We have a laser sensor that - if the beam is broken - sets off an alarm, triggers the camera to take a picture, and sends a notification to my phone. Probably the best use of this is being able to sleep with the boat open on anchor, and know that if someone comes onboard, we will get an alarm. So far the only trip was someone in Nassau Yacht Harbor marina coming onboard around 2 am. We've had zero false alarms. Very happy with the setup - although not cheap. I think monitoring is $20 per month or so.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 17:08   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

You can buy a wifi camera or if distance is an issue the raspberry pi with device cell line. Has two camera ports could add any sensor.
THeft off boats in winter storage is pretty common. Leave cabin door unlocked and leave nothing behind.
Someone broke my hatch one winter took an am fm cassette which didn’t work.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 06:33   #8

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I bought 4 of the Reolink cameras and love them. 2 are at home and 2 for the next boat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security