Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 16:18   #1

Seawind 1200

I am looking for comments from anyone who has sailed a Seawind 1200. Specifically I would like remarks about performance and how sea kindly the hulls are. Was there any bridgedeck slapping in seas and if so how much. I am considering this boat as a live aboard blue water vessel. If you have any other comments that would be great too.
tfsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
here is an owners site - Bella Via Homepage

They are a solid strong bus and would make a great live aboard, personally I find them a bit heavy but that seems to be the preference in North America, not so much in Australia. I see a few on the market at pretty good prices at the moment

The only other comment I can offer is go for the TEC 3 model for a private owner. (Targa enclosed cockpit three cabin version.)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:44   #3

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
They are nice looking boats in my opinion. Too heavy, but thats the trend. I sailed against a 1000 and it was blown away by my cat.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:25   #4

Boat: 52' BeauBien Catamaran
I chartered a Seawind 1200 about a year ago down in Florida. She was very comfortable inside with nice millwork. She did feel a bit heavy for her size and didn't point as well as a daggerboard cat would. That said, she was an enjoyable boat and felt stout. The construction seemed quite good and I bet they are durable over the long-haul. I found her easy to manage and we had a great time on her. If you are in the market for one, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my phone number for a more in-depth discussion.
allnunstoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 13:19   #5

Seawind 1200

I owned and lived on board my Seawind 1200 for two years before selling her and moving on to a Lagoon 380 for the last 3years. Does the sewaind slap - does it ever! The problem I discovered is this.

Seawind did not design the boat - it was a design from 1990 but Seawind bought the hul mould and extended it to39ft as it was originally a 37ft hull. they moved the transom forward to accomodate the swim platform and added the targa bar for the TEC 3. Problem is that the boat now pitches in rougher waters and sits lower in the water than the original Australian design. Being 17 year old design it is good for coastal cruising being heavy but for live aboard it leaves a lot to be desired. The Lagoon 380 is however a much higher bridgedeck and better all round. Don't get the seawind. For liveaboard you need prvisions as boy does the Seawind drop down on the waterline because its at optimum weight with all the tarega bar weight not originally designed for these hulls. Buy a L380 or similar. Happy cruising
cat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind