Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 18:30   #1

Schionning Wild Cat 350 Mkii - Should I Buy ?

I have posted this question on another multi hull forum, however thought I will ask the question to a wider audience.

There is currently a nice one for sale in Perth it has has the stern extended 1mtr (larger swim platforms) and the bows made shaper, besides that it is I assume a standard boat, it appears to sail well, has new electronics, well equipped, new diesels and a decent sail wardrobe, also appears to be very well priced.

Any thoughts or knowledge would be appreciated, I have tried google however not much luck.
Tonys tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 18:41   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Schionning Wild Cat 350 Mkii, should I buy?

Welcome to Ben Lexcen Marine Brokers : Boats For Sale

This one?

From memory those SA cats may have had some build issues.

Saying that, the one that may have had build issues still managed to pretty much sail around the world.
Old 08-01-2012, 20:03   #3
Marine Service Provider

Tonys, have a read on Bumfuzzle.com click on archives and read back to the NZ section in particular about delamination, it's a big read but you will learn something. In fact, have a read through their whole website and you'll see the problems they had (not saying they had too many problems though), it will give you an idea of some fairly typical problems that you may come across. Plus you might get some ideas on what the boat is capable of and where you might like to take it one day.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 20:12   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
One for sale in fl close to 100k us lots of issues with it I would imagine. The decks look deadly to walk around on if they were wet or if its rough out.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Tonys, have a read on Bumfuzzle.com click on archives and read back to the NZ section in particular about delamination, it's a big read but you will learn something. In fact, have a read through their whole website and you'll see the problems they had (not saying they had too many problems though), it will give you an idea of some fairly typical problems that you may come across. Plus you might get some ideas on what the boat is capable of and where you might like to take it one day.
ausaviator, spent the night reading Bumfuzzle's blog, thanks for the link, they definately had some issues with delamination and other workmanship (i am upto them arriving in Sydney, however will keep reading tomorrow). besides the workmanship issues, the boat appears to be handling the trip well, you would hope that a second hand 8yr old boat has worked out most of its issues. descisions and a very good surveyor (if i decide to purchase).
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22   #6

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Hi Tony tanks,

Yes, the Bumfuzzle story is a sad story and well documented - but that said I know of a number of Wild Cats that are happily sailing the waters of this world. I came across one recently in Puerto de Mazarron, Spain now flying the French flag and being used as a sailing live-aboard, in very good condition inside and outside. She sported the best anti-slip deck I have seen on a cat which made me envious to the effect that I will treat my cat to a new anti-slip treatment.

The thing to do is to have a survey done and then take your thought-process further.
Old 09-01-2012, 15:37   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Beware. I bet very much depends on who built it. I have seen a Schionning that was very poorly built.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 15:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

This one is built in South Africa by Charter Cats - the same as Bumfuzzle.

The Bumfuzzle story wasn't all bad except for the cost of repair. I've seen worse and higher costs to repair. That's what you get with balasa core, fact of life.

Add the $30k or whatever it was to the cost of their purchase of $159,000 and they probably had a fair priced catamaran.

The disappointing thing for them was the amount of breakages they had, such as davits, pipes/hoses, wiring etc, it was never ending, but that's probably fairly typical for a vessel under heavy use in liveaboard conditions.
Old 09-01-2012, 22:21   #9

Sorry, but that's not a fact of life. Properly done balsa is LESS likely to delaminate than foam for instance. But if a boat isn't built right it doesn't really matter what it's made of. Remember - they were certain the core had NEVER been bonded to the laminate. And there was NO rot.

The davit breakages suggest to me they were underbuilt right from the start.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:11   #10

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Just my 2c opinion, This is a boat launched in 03, and it has New rigging, sails, and new engines? just wondering why, that seems concerning, did it sink? Dont those particular diesels they use go 5k plus hours? Rigging was only good for 7 years? Seems sketchy to me,, Not sure but for such a nice type of cat they go awfully cheap. heres one that was 99k, might have sold for less Pre-Owned 1999 Galley-Up Wildcat 350 catamaran - DUET
I would think for that (The one in perth)much money you could buy cat fom a manufacturer with a less "glorious" past.. and bring it in. As for the pipes hoses electrical etc, I have had a boat that was a live aboard for 16 years and it still had original thru hulls, pipes, plumbing ( yes it did need replacing but was still useable) and fittings. To me if this stuff kept breaking its because it was cheap quality to start.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07   #11
Marine Service Provider

I think Bumfuzzle had Volvos as standard and the 3 advertised on the 2-hulls link all seem to have different engine types which is interesting.

For $100k that one in Florida looks like good buying if it's for sale still but you never know what you're getting till you arrive there unfortunately. At $100k in good order it would be hard to pass up.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19   #12
Marine Service Provider

Catamarans for sale
Old 10-01-2012, 15:16   #13

I may have to go back to a Seawind 1000, the Wildcat does look like a nice boat though. availablity in Australia of good boats is minimal especially for under $300k aud.

yes the one for sale in Perth has has a lot of work done to it, new Yanmars 40hp (owner said the old ones where a bit slow for the NW where it was mainly to be used, big tides 4-12m), new rigging and sails, new electronics, boat extended by 1mtr, bows sharpened up a bit by an extension, besides that the headlinings and internal look original, so i dont think it had been sunk, just extensivley modified.

the Wildcat started on the market at $325k aud now down to $239k for a well kitted out boat, so it is cheap for the size, although no where as cheap as overseas by the look of it.
Old 10-01-2012, 17:25   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Without wanting to re start the discussion, just remember Tony that there is possible duty, GST, transport costs etc when comparing to OS
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 19:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Without wanting to re start the discussion, just remember Tony that there is possible duty, GST, transport costs etc when comparing to OS
Factor
understand that totally, that is why i am looking in Aus, also dont have the time to hunt the world for a boat