Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 15:31   #16

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Salina 48 vs Privilege 515 vs "?" Need Help and Opinions, Please

If money is not a isue goo for the privilege, having work in 2 last season i can say the detail in construction is very nice , very robust and seaworthy..
Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 17:19   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
>>>>snip<<<<< If the Privilege is costing the double, I'd doubted it's worth the price..

Cheers

Yeloya
Fair comment on the face of it - but what I think a purchaser needs to look at is the life cycle cost of the vessel, very hard to do I know, but if Boat A cost a million and Boat B cost half a million, on the face of it Boat A is twice as expensive as Boat B.

However if in 3 years time Boat A is worth 800K and Boat B is worth 300K then in fact both boats cost the same to own. (leaving aside for a moment the opportunity cost of the use of the extra half a million).

Not suggesting that this is the case with the Salina and Privilege, merely pointing out the the capital cost of ownership is more complex and less self apparent than the simple comparison of purchase prices.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:50   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Fair comment on the face of it - but what I think a purchaser needs to look at is the life cycle cost of the vessel, very hard to do I know, but if Boat A cost a million and Boat B cost half a million, on the face of it Boat A is twice as expensive as Boat B.

However if in 3 years time Boat A is worth 800K and Boat B is worth 300K then in fact both boats cost the same to own. (leaving aside for a moment the opportunity cost of the use of the extra half a million).

Not suggesting that this is the case with the Salina and Privilege, merely pointing out the the capital cost of ownership is more complex and less self apparent than the simple comparison of purchase prices.
Fctor, that's a very good point.. In fact purchasing price alone doesn't make too much sense..

Current new price for Salina should be in the range of 600.000 €. (including some inevitable accesories which are not on the price list, less some discount that every dealer would offer)
One Salina 4 years old was sold recently here at 430.000 €. (This is not the asking money, the deal was closed and money paid in cash)
The boat had 3 years old sails, no spare sail or spinneaker, no water maker, but a 11 KV generator and A/C.

I don't have a clue on what would be the new Privilege cost, neither what would have been the price after 4 years.
When it comes to maintenance cost, this specific Salina was chartered for 4 years (25 weeks a year in average) and beside routine winter maintenance, marina and insurance expense didn't have any expense. (this may not be valid for other Salina's..)
She had some problem with her sail drive and gear which were fixed under the warranty.

I am not sure but I tend to believe that selling a FP or Lagoon type of catamarans (Ford's.) is much easier to sell a Privilege, Catana or Outremer type of catamarans (Bentley's..)

Cheers

Yeloya
As I said, I've once motor sailed couple of miles with a Privilege 56 or 57. Just looking around for 10-15 min. I haven't seen anything better than Salina, in terms of internal design and finish, but I should leave this to someone who has sailed enough on both of them..
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:49   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
When you say "any FP" I tend to believe that you have sailed them all...

Am I missing something ?
Nay, you are correct. I have not sailed all FPs.

Based on the FPs / Priv I did sail, or been onboard, I would pick up a Privilege over an FP.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 13:14   #20

Was on board Salina and Priv 515 today at the boat show. For me, if money not in the equation, Priv 515 wins hands down - it's like comparing a summer cottage to a nice house [everyone compares boats to cars, so just decided to be original ]
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 16:31   #21

It's obvious that the finish on Privileges are usually at motor yacht quality, that's given. On the other hand, if I were to buy a second hand boat with that price tag, I'd really consider to go for the extra mile and order one brand new, just to see that craftsmanship in brand spanking new condition. On the other hand, chartering one of the Ford cats (either Lagoon or FP) is always an option after a year or two and in the end, you can still sell it for decent amount and quickly. Not to mention that the boat pays for itself that way!

The biggest problem that I see with privileges is the feeling of clastrophobia. In any fords (especially Lagoons) the boat has incredible views, especially in owner versions and main salons. However, the owner's cabin of privileges have low ceilings, terrible use of space (let's be honest, how much closet space do you loose for that full boat length cabin?) and very dim natural lighting. To be perfectly honest, I'm not hopeful about the cabin ventilation for that very same reason. The woodwork might be Bentley but the height of ceilings and lighting are Fiat quality -just my humble opinion.

Since you're considering these two options, it's obvious that you want space more than speed, so why would you consider a boat that you'd tiptoe around during the whole trip just to keep the lacquer of the cabinets spotless, instead of a boat that gets bruised hard and easy (and cheap) to fix?

If I were paying for twice the money, I would want solid size and gear improvements instead of just mirror finish closets. And if I wanted both, I would go for a Hallberg Rassy, although I'm a die hard cat fan...

Regards;
M.

P.S. : Similar price,size and equipment. Shouldn't the question be Lagoon 450 v.s. Salina 48 evo???
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 20:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post

Since you're considering these two options, it's obvious that you want space more than speed, so why would you consider a boat that you'd tiptoe around during the whole trip just to keep the lacquer of the cabinets spotless,

If I were paying for twice the money, I would want solid size and gear improvements instead of just mirror finish closets.
48 evo???
I love the Privelege, but no way would i want the added chore of keeping her looking pretty whilst cruising. I'm a big proponent of the maximisation of fiberglass surfaces in the interior of a cruising boat. Just so much less of a headache on upkeep, imho. Laquered finishes would be the ultimate headache,imo.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 14:11   #23

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

Check out the new Voyage 520, these are a proven strectched design. All fiberglass interior except for a few fiddles and trim boards. They are built in Capetown and sail away on there own hull. I have only trouble with old systems on our 1997 47ft model. We like the boat so much after 6 years, we are having an owner's version built and it is to be completed later this year.

At least have a look at a Voyage 500 if you can't get to a 520. There will be a 520 at the Annapolis boat show next month.

Also just mentioning the original Leopard's are by the same designer as the Voyage boats, Alexander Simonis
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 21:01   #24

Privilege (Alliaura Marine) got into some financial difficulties when they committed a lot of their resources into building the P1000, a 100 ft version of their catamaran in 2010/2011. While they had been building a number of boats 50'-75' long and selling them pretty well, they underestimated the length of the "great recession" and weren't able to secure enough buyers for the P1000. By May of 2012 the sales of their "smaller" boats wasn't sufficient to overcome the costs they were sinking into the P1000 and it broke them. They declared bankruptcy in May. This allowed them to restrcure, jettison the P1000, and re-emerge in July 2012, building the P445, P495, P515, P615 & P745. Great to see since it continues their legacy of building great hardcore blue-water boats.
SV Wings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege, salina 48