Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 23:52   #46

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: S/V Delos discusses mono vs. cat with cruising couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I've always understood 'yeah nah' as 'I understand what you're saying but no, I don't agree'

Or something similar 🤓

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I think it means "brain not engaged at the moment - will reply in minute or so"

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 00:23   #47

Boat: Currently boatless

It is so much easier to be destructive and tear things down rather than taking the time, energy and risks associated with making something constructive that adds to the community.

Delos is taking risks. They are branching out. They are creating. And they are still giving all of their content for free, even while they are trying to make a living.

Constructive feedback is good. Random destructive potshots are lame.

To further derail the thread, but on the topic of the actual CONTENT of the video, is a Catana *really* a performance cat?
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:06   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by svTOTEM View Post
Can't wait to see the CF muck when our interviews with Delos come out... And milking it, really? Delos makes a product and people buy it. Should they limit subscribers because they're too popular? Or somehow less pure sailors? They've found the holy grail of cruising - live the lifestyle and make money to keep it going.
I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Delos produce what is essentially an Internet-age TV show. It is very well filmed and and very well produced, which takes a huge amount of work. It's certainly a job, and if they have figured out how to earn money from fulfilling that job, what's the problem with that?

The protagonists are somewhat silly, young folks, but so what? Some of their adventures are pretty good, and it's all really well filmed. I have little time for watching Youtube videos, but I do really enjoy these whenever I have a chance.

I only saw the first half of the cat vs mono interviews, but from what I saw, I can't imagine why anyone is upset. The people interviewed -- the Catana owners -- were very intelligent and interesting, and although most of the issues have been hashed over a million times on here, I found the interview to be really interesting.

I pay nothing and wouldn't contribute, but if they get a few pennies from my eyeballs, I'm not against it at all.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 05:04   #49
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
I think it means "brain not engaged at the moment - will reply in minute or so"

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
That's not how I use it; I use it as I described and so do my friends which is why I posted it. I grew up on the Gold Coast and appreciate that other Aussies may use it differently.

Any other Aussies care to comment?

Sent from my SM-T520 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:18   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
To further derail the thread, but on the topic of the actual CONTENT of the video, is a Catana *really* a performance cat?
Used to be, but not any more, IMO.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 10:48   #51
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

The interview was informative and provided useful information. The only negative was the mysogynyst tone of not letting her speak or concur her opinion.

And yet, are these more doodleheads with money to blow on leisure activities? I really wanna know how folks get cash and integrate back into society when their health goes sour at an old age and their funds run out. Cut the romance. Show me the money.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:47   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Used to be, but not any more, IMO.
Concur, and for me, 'used to be' is 1993 and older models
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 13:31   #53

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1453152665942.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	116964  
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:32   #54

Quote:
That's not how I use it; I use it as I described and so do my friends which is why I posted it. I grew up on the Gold Coast and appreciate that other Aussies may use it differently.

Any other Aussies care to comment?
Another Aussie phrase I have only ever heard in country Qld is "hey but". Usually put at the end of a sentence eg. "Nice day, hey but". Not sure what it means, maybe the person saying it is seeking agreement?
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 15:07   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The interview was informative and provided useful information. The only negative was the mysogynyst tone of not letting her speak or concur her opinion.
MayBE.....mysogyny had nothing to do with it...
MayBE she didn't want to be a part of it....
MayBE....I don't remember a "her" being there?
MayBE....if you don't remember "her" name.......
you MayBE mysogonystic yourself.....

I have seen every video from SVDelos at least twice, except the most recent four, including the mono v. cat video. I have only watched those once.
Maybe this "her" you are refering to did not want to jump into the conversation because she might not have known as much as the "man" that was being interviewed.
You do know what misanthropy is? Maybe she is not one of "those"....
I do not intend to sound critical, but hearing people complain about mysogony without realizing that there is an equal yet opposite.......
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 15:09   #56

Well crap.....
After posting THAT.....
It really would not sound good of me to post something about the eyecandy that Josje is!
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:10   #57
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Without a doubt they didn't ask direct questions to her. Mr King of the Yacht got all the attention and could drink his rum and pointificate about the beauty of light loads and sailing on one engine while waving his hand in a sort of wavy king hand thing. Oh the horror. Yet another "Whatever you say, dear" video complete with horrible music, all caught on film. Of course she probably had half a bottle of rum just having to deal with these loboys messing up her uphostery with their bare feet and the "likes" you knows.

Still, it was interesting to weigh the information, but since none of us won the lotto this past week, I guess it's back to whatever no name yacht you have or don't while these 1%'s sail the shiny seas contributing nothing to the real world except to the economy of the rum market.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:35   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0urh View Post
Another Aussie phrase I have only ever heard in country Qld is "hey but". Usually put at the end of a sentence eg. "Nice day, hey but". Not sure what it means, maybe the person saying it is seeking agreement?
Hahaha, yep I'm from there but we didn't use they hey. I think they do further north though. As a queenslander I'm allowed to say there's a large amount of redneck racists up there. Also some of the friendliest and most accommodating people you'll ever meet.

As far as Delos goes, no one is forcing anyone to do anything. Like pay money or even watch the videos. They put together a good video and I've watched their progression over the last year or so. I think Brian is a champ and very capable and he just makes it happen calmly. The videos are starting to look too flash now and have lost the spontaneity and youthful enthusiasm. I understand why, they need the money so they're treating that as a business instead of si on, you documenting their fun but I still enjoy them.

Old 18-01-2016, 16:38   #59
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Without a doubt they didn't ask direct questions to her. Mr King of the Yacht got all the attention and could drink his rum and pointificate about the beauty of light loads and sailing on one engine while waving his hand in a sort of wavy king hand thing. Oh the horror. Yet another "Whatever you say, dear" video complete with horrible music, all caught on film. Of course she probably had half a bottle of rum just having to deal with these loboys messing up her uphostery with their bare feet and the "likes" you knows.

Still, it was interesting to weigh the information, but since none of us won the lotto this past week, I guess it's back to whatever no name yacht you have or don't while these 1%'s sail the shiny seas contributing nothing to the real world except to the economy of the rum market.
Why are you so bitter about them? Did they wee in your cornflakes or something?

Old 18-01-2016, 16:47   #60

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Why are you so bitter about them? Did they wee in your cornflakes or something?

Super simple! Jealousy hidden in a DOWN WITH THE MAN message!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising