Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 19:15   #1

Rudder Repair on Prout Snowgoose

We have a 37 foot Prout Snowgoose which we have owned and loved for the past 8 years. When we bought her we noticed some play between the rudder blade and the rudder stock on both rudders. This play has slowly worsened to a point where we now think repair is necessary. I am just hoping that someone on the forum has some advice for us about how to set about such a repair.
Thanks
Tony
tonydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 21:08   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: Rudder Repair on Prout Snowgoose

I have a 34/35 Snowgoose and had one rudder delaminating so I took it apart. It was actually built in 2 sections and then glassed together. But inside was only plain steel and badly rusted. I cut it all out and replaced it with some stainless and glassed it back together.
BTW, the mount for the aft steering box was also plain steel and nearly gone when I replaced that with SS as well. plain sttel exposed to salt air was just crazy thinking.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 05:50   #3

Many thanks for your response. Can you give me a few more details about how to actually separate the rudder into its two parts. I had previously been thinking of cutting a window in one side of the rudder to try to see what was going on.
Many thanks
Tony
Old 20-09-2011, 06:09   #4

Boat: Lagoon 420

I had an Elite. The rudder was filled with foam. Just cut a large hole in one side of the rudder, dig out the old foam, install new foam and glass in the piece you cut out. Worked like a charm for the ten years that I had the vessel. Obviously, if you see other damage, you will want to replace or repair that also.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 06:15   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Tony - I think the 34/35 and the 37 have the same rudders. Mine was actually splitting horizontally about 2-4 inches from the top. I started by just grinding out along the crack to fill it when I realized they were formed in 2 pieces. I will be back to the boat next week and could take a photo with a tape measure to show you exactly where. And like Bradly said, there is foam inside. Mine had chunks of foam, maybe to keep it floating if it got damaged and seperated from the boat but useless normally.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 06:36   #6

Many thanks guys. All useful advice. The photos and measurements would be a great help
Thanks
Tony
Old 28-01-2012, 17:38   #7

Hi:
I have a part request for a rudder for a Prout 33. Does anyone have the actual dimensions for one of these rudders? Please send me an email: info "at" onsmarinesalvageyard "dot" com
adanob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 00:30   #8

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I suggest you try the Prout Owners Association PROUT OWNERS ASSOCIATION Lots of Prout owners there. Someone will have the answers you need.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs, rudder