Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2014, 12:32   #1

Boat: 1994 39 Privilege
Rigging question who made this?

Aloha all

Well I am replacing all the standing rigging on my 1994 39ft Privilege sailing cat. I think this is the original rigging. (20 years old)
These are the brackets where the diamonds attach to the mast. They are aluminum with SS screws in them. You guessed it after 20 year they are seized all that will happen is the straight screw heads twist off. Yes.. I did try penetrating lube and lots of heat.. I can redrill and tap the aluminum bracket if I must but would like to replace. I still need to find these unique eyes and pins tho. The pins have balls cut into them in the center so the eye can rotate about 10* perpendicular. I have 4 for the 8mm wire and 8 larger ones for my 10mm wire. The pictures with the tape measure are the smaller ones. There is one picture of the larger one where you can kind of make out the name it looks like ( harechal) to me?!?! The guys at rigging only don't know who made it and my web searches have found nothing.
Thank you any help is welcome.
Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3170937183.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	74404   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2604041126.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	74405  

Name:	image-1142106080.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	74406   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-284365186.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	74407  

Name:	image-712849721.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	74408  
amphibious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 12:54   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Rigging question who made this????

Jack -
Try Marechal, maybe Z Spars Marechal.
Best I can come up with.
Old 21-01-2014, 16:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Jack -
Try Marechal, maybe Z Spars Marechal.
Best I can come up with.
Thanks you very much Mike
I think you are rite it's a M not H
I looked thru the pdf of Marechal Zspare and
Didn't find anything so emailed them the pictures asking if they make these parts.
Thanks for the help
Old 21-01-2014, 18:24   #4

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Those are similar to a heim joint. They are available in aluminum, steel and I think SS. You can check on line for racing auto parts. I believe the are available in l and r threads. In racing and in street rods these parts are used to adjust the front end of the vehicles camber, cast and toe in. On the rear end to form a 3 or 4 bar adjustable rear suspension.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 19:02   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

As far i know Marechal dont make this parts anymore, this is the original fittings fited in many old privileges , and if you are unlucky to found new ones the only solution is A: clean the old ones very well and inspect for cracks or other problems, if they are sound probably they are fine for another 10 years, this is the diamond anyway , i sugest new pins and new wires if they are the originals, or B: fitt the other design used for Zspar in many lagoon or FP, is SS ,probably you need to open the window in the mast, and a new wire with a round form swage end is mandatory with the new part, or C: insert a compresion T bar machined in the ends with both pin holes and weld around the perimeter and use a togle end with the turnbuckle.. i vote for the B if the plan A fail...Good luck.

Here is the Sparcraft pdf catalog: look for internal tangs....
http://www.sparcraft.com/uk/products...kcatalogue.pdf
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 06:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
Those are similar to a heim joint. They are available in aluminum, steel and I think SS. You can check on line for racing auto parts. I believe the are available in l and r threads. In racing and in street rods these parts are used to adjust the front end of the vehicles camber, cast and toe in. On the rear end to form a 3 or 4 bar adjustable rear suspension.
Aloha Bruthb
Thank you for the info. That is what they reminded me of as well from my jeep rock crawling days. I didn't know they made a SS Heim joint tho so I looked it up. They do and they are pretty cheap. If I have no other option I may go with them thanks for the info.
Old 22-01-2014, 06:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
As far i know Marechal dont make this parts anymore, this is the original fittings fited in many old privileges , and if you are unlucky to found new ones the only solution is A: clean the old ones very well and inspect for cracks or other problems, if they are sound probably they are fine for another 10 years, this is the diamond anyway , i sugest new pins and new wires if they are the originals, or B: fitt the other design used for Zspar in many lagoon or FP, is SS ,probably you need to open the window in the mast, and a new wire with a round form swage end is mandatory with the new part, or C: insert a compresion T bar machined in the ends with both pin holes and weld around the perimeter and use a togle end with the turnbuckle.. i vote for the B if the plan A fail...Good luck.

Here is the Sparcraft pdf catalog: look for internal tangs....
http://www.sparcraft.com/uk/products...kcatalogue.pdf
Aloha neilpride
I looked thru the catalog and didn't find them so I sent Sparcraft a email with some pictures. Even if they do have them I don't know if the price will be feasible.
I am leaning to your plan B. I will pull all 12 tangs out clean them up and drill/mill the remanning SS bolts out of the tang. Then put SS threaded inserts in the tang or a threaded SS plate behind the tang to prevent this problem. I will get new pins eyes and wire and done. (Hopefully) lol
Thank you much for the heads up I will see what Sparcraft says.
Old 22-01-2014, 08:08   #8

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphibious1 View Post
Aloha Bruthb
I didn't know they made a SS Heim joint tho so I looked it up. They do and they are pretty cheap. If I have no other option I may go with them thanks for the info.
Be careful about that. May not be 316 stainless unless they are made for the marine market.

By the way... My Privilege from 8 years later has a Marechal mast and boom but doesn't have anything like those fittings. So they must have stopped making them quite a long time ago.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:00   #9

Well have not heard back from z-spare Sparcraft or Marechal so looks like inam going with plan B. I will pull the mast pull all of the tangs out. Then clean them up drill out the remains of the SS bolt and put in SS inserts. Hopefully I can reuse all the pins and buy new 316 marine eyes. Thanks for everyone's help.

Tags
rigging